Liked: 0

Default SCCA tracks near Detroit?

What are the towing times/distance to SCCA tracks near Detroit Michigan? How active is the local region near Farmington Hills (suburb?) When do races start up there in Yankee-Land?

TIA

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Waterford Hills in Waterford. Right in your backyard. Only runs I think 1 SCCA regional there a year. But they have a very very active club there that is good enough that their licenses are accepted by SCCA at regionals .

Gingerman. Pretty much due West and maybe a little North more or less right on the Lake .
    First National in Cen Div is there in early April.

Grattan. A bit North and maybe West of Grand Rapids.

Would say Gingerman and Grattan are no more than 2-3 hours from you.

Mid Ohio. Probably 3-4 hours from you.

Plenty of tracks near by.

Liked: 611

Default tracks near Detroit

Races in Yankee-land, start the end of April. Snow you know. Except for Waterford Hills, which has it's own club races (6), look in Sports Car for the Cen-Div list of events.
    Depending where you are in Farmington Hills, look for 1/2 hour tow to Waterford, 2-1/2 hour tow to Gratton, 3 to Gingerman. Mid-Ohio, 3-1/2 to 4 hours, same for Nelson Ledges (if you dare), 6 hours tow to IRP (Indiana), 7-1/2 to Blackhawk (IL) (depends on Chicago), 4+ to Beaver Run (PA), 7-1/2 to 8 (depends on Chicago) tow to Road America (WI).
    We are located here in the Detroit area if we can help you.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    248-585-9139
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Default oops, etiquette failure

Sorry about the 'Yankee-land' comment. was not meant as a slight, more as a question from someone who hasn't lived north of Atlanta since 1965. I did go to high school in Massachusetts, though (if that counts for anything)

Sounds like there is really not a problem getting to tracks in the area. I am spoiled by having several tracks in SEDIV within 4-6 hours of Atlanta and am just making sure that I could feed my addiction if I took a job up there.

We hear some horror stories of some of the rust-belt cities, perhaps the stories have been exagerrated somewhat?

Thanks for the info.

Keith: If I get an interview trip up there during the week, could I arrange to visit your shop?

Liked: 611

Default tracks near Detroit

Your welcome to visit anytime. Open M-F 10am to 6pm (7pm thursday), and most Saturdays 10am to 4 pm. If we are not here on a Saturday, you will most likely find us at a Waterford Hills race. Call me from where you are in town and I will help you navigate.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    248-5859139
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Default yankee land

Don't worry.

No one is that sensitive and we all get a good laugh at ourselves when someone uses that kind of term.

I am a Yankee, from Ohio, and I have a whole bunch of Michigan jokes.

All clean.

Detroit is a pretty neat place if you don't mind the winter. Lots of stuff to do.

Sure will be a lot different than where you are now.

Of course in Michigan they tell Ohio jokes and the weather in Ohio aint really much better than Michigan.

Liked: 25

Default Detroit Events - SAE World Congress

If you don't visit Detroit until later in the Spring, the SAE World Congress is April 11-14, at Cobo Center in Detroit. The exhibits at the trade show are lots of fun. I got within inches of one of the last of the Lotus F1 cars at one. It does require registration or wangling a pass of some sort.
    - Frank C

Liked: 1

Default Detroit and WHRRI

If you are lucky enough to land in Farmington Hills, you will have access to the best kept secret in Racing - Waterford Hills. WHRRI runs six week ends a year on a 1.5 mile 10 turn road course. The series provides 3 races per week end with 1 qualifying round. On any given week end about 150 to 175 cars and drivers show up. To add to the value, the cost per week end is about 60% of SCCA and you will see many of the same people at the SCCA regional and national races. Open wheel has two race groups, one for F500 and FV and another for FF, CFC, FC, FA, CSR, DSR, S2000 and FS - both are very well subscribed. And yes, the competition is strong. A few of us have gone down to the WOR Games and ARRC and done well. Waterford's CFC winner (Brian Burke) for example ran his Reynard at the ARRC and won his class for the second time. Rumor has it that he has a new Carbir F2000.

It is a great thing to get 6 race week ends and 18 races and still sleep in your own bed. In my case, I have a 45 minute tow which is good for home life balance. Waterford is a friendly place to race at, you will find both Hoosier and Goodyear at the track as well as Averill Racing Stuff and Duns Welding (where every repair seems to cost $10). The community is fun and I can't count the times friends have helped get me on the track.

Clearly the best deal in racing in North America.

Default WHRRI info?

Is WHRRI a private club venue? What are requirements for membership etc?

Also, CFC in SEDIV is for 1990 & older cars. I seem to have read here that in CENDIV it is 1995 and earlier. That would greatly affect which FC car I would buy in the future. Right now, I will be refurbishing a Crossle 35 for Club Ford.

Thanks to all for the info provided. I will look on scca web site for race dates. Where can I look for Waterford race dates? I will google for waterford hills & hope to get a web site hit.

Rick Johnson rickjohnson@mindspring.com

Liked: 8

Default whrri

Rick,check this out www.waterfordhills.com
    Dave Craddock

Liked: 1

Default Tracks in SE MI

WHRRI is a private club, but the annual fees are very modest to join. However, to race there you do not have to be a member - An SCCA License is sufficient to race but the fees are higher than members - but still lower than typical SCCA event. Cendiv and WHRRI CFC = 1990 or older. We have had in the past strong CFC participation with several reynard 84/87/88's, a Crossle 63 and some older VD's. Only non SCCA restriction is sound with a mandatory muffler - most formula cars usea supertrap. I use a trap with 20 plates. Not really a big issue. As noted above, check out the web site, everything you ever wanted to know and more

David Keep
    WHRRI CFC #63

Thread Information