Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 105

Default The Challenge Cup Set to Roll for 2015

Media Contact: Dermot Ennis
    dermot@iiproducts.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 4, 2015

CHALLENGE CUP RACING SERIES CREATED

HARRISBURG, PA – Complemar, in partnership with International Insulation Products, today announced the formation of the new CHALLENGE CUP SERIES open wheel racing series in the FV classification funded with $10,000 from the co-sponsors. FV, or Formula Vee, is a popular open wheel, single seat motor racing class with relatively low costs in comparison to other popular classes of motor racing. The new series will be open to all FV/ F1200 competitors with a valid SCCA/CASC racing license.

“Having been involved in the FV for a number of years and sponsoring the Challenge Cup the last two years, we knew there was interest in a low cost entry level series such as FV but we still had some challenges,” says Robert DePalma, CFO of Complemar. He continued, “We looked toward the F1200 series that has run successfully in Canada. After speaking with people that have competed in the series and the series organizers, it was decided to see if we could work together on a series that would incorporate some of the rules they have used such as a spec radial tire and limiting modification to manifolds.”

For 2015 the Challenge Cup Series will consist of 5 race weekends:

1. Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (MOSPORT) May 2/3

2. Nelson Ledges June 20/21

3. Shannonville July 18/ 19

4. Pocono August 8/9

5. TBA

The series will use a Falken Azenis 195 60/14 tire mounted on steel wheels. Noel Brigido, President of the F1200 Association notes, “The advantage to the Falken tire is longevity. We have competitors running the tire for 3 seasons or more.“

The series has worked with organizers to guarantee single class racing at each event, which was another factor in creating the series as more and more competitors listed that as a reason for not running at other events. As of this writing, “we have commitments from 30 plus cars and drivers,” says DePalma.

International Insulation Products of Atlanta, Georgia, which is owned by FV/ F1200 competitor Dermot Ennis, agreed to co-sponsor the series. “We wanted to create a series where competitors can compete on an equal playing field without spending large sums of money as well as a series that competitors have fun and want to compete. That said, at every event a drawing will be held where each entrant can win their entry fee back and/or other cash and prizes. We will also have parties where competitors, families and friends can come together each Saturday night of the race,” says Ennis.

For more information on the series contact Dermot Ennis at dermot@iiproducts.com

About Complemar

Complemar Partners, Inc. are experts in fulfillment, contract packaging, warehousing & logistics, reverse logistics, full service print, direct mail, and creative services. As a WBENC-certified woman-owned business we pride ourselves on providing unparalleled service and technology-based operations. Our proprietary COMET™ Software Suite provides an integrated software platform connecting our customers (and their e-commerce websites), our smart warehouses, their inventory, and all fulfillment, tracking, and billing services. We have over 300,000 sq. ft. of Smart Warehouse space with 4 locations in Rochester, NY, Reno, NV, Harrisburg, PA, and Buffalo, NY. We handle more than 45 million packages a year, ship to more than 30 countries, and have 70+ years of experience serving over 1,000 customers. Our quality standards and certifications include ISO 9001:2000 certification and FDA registration, and Complemar services the pharmaceutical/clinical trials, telecom, health & beauty, food & beverage, and e-commerce business solutions markets.

About International Insulation Products

International Insulation Products is a manufacturer of various patented insulation products for residential and commercial applications sold worldwide under brand names Eshield, Sol-R-Eclipse, Sol-R-Wall and Sol-R-Skin. With manufacturing facilities in Atlanta, GA and Orlando, FL, International Insulation Products is proud to offer innovative energy savings products designed and constructed in the United States using US components.

###
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 100

Anyone interested in running the Challenge Cup Series and wanting information on rules or wanting information on tires and wheels please feel free to contact me at

dermotennis@comcast.net
    DERM

Liked: 22

What is the minimum weight for the series?

I might be mistaken, but i think 1075, same as the CDN rules. Considering we will be using the radial tire package
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

That is correct we increased the weight minimum to 1075lbs for the series as a result of extra weight of he wheels and tires
    DERM

Liked: 22

Good and thank you.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

A bunch of good people are working their butts off to make this all happen. Sponsors, single class racing, cheap tires, great social atmosphere, and more! Anybody with a Vee who lives within a days drive, should be checking this out!
    Great job guys!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Looking forward to an amazing turnout....Rob and Derm have put a lot of time and effort bringing it to this point.

Side note, confirmed any US car with a number that conflicts with a Canadian car, will only need to run a "1" infront for the Canadian races.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

The series has made a bulk purchase of steel wheels so if you are interested in wheels email
    dermotennis@comcast.net. or private message me here

Tires can be purchased direct from Vulcan Tire at the current price of $76 a tire. Not bad for a tire that will last you 3 seasons or more and can be used rain or shine.

I have been asked and in accordance with the rules we do not allow tires to be shaved down to control cost.

Looking forward to hearing from those you have questions about the series.
    DERM

Regarding wheels:

You have to modify the wheels slightly. The wheels used to come with a proper chamfer for the VW wheel nut, but they cannot do that now because of some DOT requirement. You can use a 1" diameter burr or a counter-sink bit and remove the necessary amount.

Also worth noting, the wheels will fit on a common balance machine using the same cone hardware as large Ford pickups.

Just a reminder, for those that will be new to the process.
    Cheers!

Liked: 47

Greg,
    I borrowed a set of wheels for the final Challenge Cup race at the Glen last year and when I got off the track and started taking the wheels off, I noticed several of them had loosened up. The wheels I was using didn't have the modified chamfer to the bolt holes. My question is: if you chamfer the wheels can you safely use the stock VW lug bolts or is it better just to fit longer studs to the drums and use wheel nuts?
    Also I had a bad vibration throughout the race at virtually all speeds (straights and turns). The tires I used had been balanced. Do you have any suggestions on what could be the problem? Could the angle of the beam on my D-13 be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by fvee62 View Post
    Greg,
    I borrowed a set of wheels for the final Challenge Cup race at the Glen last year and when I got off the track and started taking the wheels off, I noticed several of them had loosened up. The wheels I was using didn't have the modified chamfer to the bolt holes. My question is: if you chamfer the wheels can you safely use the stock VW lug bolts or is it better just to fit longer studs to the drums and use wheel nuts?
    Also I had a bad vibration throughout the race at virtually all speeds (straights and turns). The tires I used had been balanced. Do you have any suggestions on what could be the problem? Could the angle of the beam on my D-13 be an issue?
    I'm not an expert on this, but as I recall, the holes, as delivered are designed for a 3/8 or 7/16 wheel stud, so you want to add the chamfer regardless of using different nuts. Once you chamfer the hole, the standard VW wheel nut will fully engage. I carry a large countersink bit in my toolbox and just add what is necassary to work. Its not a big deal.

Alot of people don't realize that the common Ford F350 hardware will work, and try using hoakie adapters, modified old drums, etc. Again, no big deal if done properly, so I am offering these tips for people learning this new process. Bill Vallis is the expert. If in doubt, check with Bill.

Liked: 51

Default Balancing

If anyone needs balancing done
    Derm or myself have 5 bolt
    Adaptor pllates on our trailers

Cheers
    Desmond

I did speak to Bill Vallis, and he can have 1 Arrive & Drive car available for the first weekend. It would be on a first come first serve basis.

So if anyone wants to race but car is not ready, don't want to make the tow, or rather have someone else do all the work...contact Vallis Motorsports ( http://vallismotorsport.com/).

I would be amazing to have 30+ cars for the Mosport race!
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

I have had a few inquires for cost on wheels and tires for Challenge Cup. As i mentioned in an earlier post tires can be purchased direct from Vulcan Tire. Rims were bought in bulk and can be purchase from series. Just contact me at dermotennis@comcast.net

Steel wheels set of 4 Cost $360

Tires set of 4 Cost $304

Total $664

Shipping Extra
    Last edited by derminator; 02.15.15 at 3:21 PM.
    DERM

Liked: 115

Default Cost of Wheels and Tires

and at cost of $664 that's about $200 less than just a set of slicks that will last a few weekends and the radials will last years...

Quote Originally Posted by derminator View Post
    I have had a few inquires for cost on wheels and tires for Challenge Cup. As i mentioned in an earlier post tires can be purchased direct from Vulcan Tire. Rims were bought in bulk and can be purchase from series. Just contact me at dermotennis@comcast.net

Steel wheels set of 4 Cost $360

Tires set of 4 Cost $304

Total $664

Shipping Extra
    Can't ask for anything more...Thank Derm for the commitment..
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

I understand that a set of Wheels and tires have also been put up for rent for anyone that would like to "try" them for a race weekend?
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 53

Got my wheels & tires

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

21. The following members LIKED this post:

To help those who have never run the Canadian tracks or have questions about the radials. Here are a couple of videos that cover the 2 Canadian stops on the Challenge series

Here is a video of Mosport (CTMP)

http://youtu.be/cD_5TDNy6WI

Here is a video of Shannonville

http://youtu.be/9Aoa_Hyb3LA
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 304

Here is a video of Mosport (CTMP)
    Looks like a lot of fun. Nice job. I have a question - from the video it appears (to my untrained mind) the tires / cars have a bit of understeer, but are otherwise fairly stable. Is my perception correct?

Thanks,
    Barry

Yes the cars do understeer compared to slicks, but not a big deal. I have raced on the tires two seasons now and have adapted just like everyone else to them. I can tell you that unlike slicks these tires are also very forgiving.
    DERM

Liked: 304

Thanks Derm. Good to know.

A lot of people say the tires are faster in year 2.

One of my favorite pictures of Vee's on Radials going through corner 10 at Mosport.
    Last edited by nbrigido; 06.26.15 at 8:11 PM.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Default what do we do about the intakes?

Guys--
    I *LOVE* MOSPORT. This is my excuse to get there! Err... checking with the project manager wife and my sponsor of course... have to miss some kids soccer etc... minute details...

But... if I get there... I see some comments about tires and weight so I'm guessing if I'm close to 1025 with slicks I will be at 1075 with Falkens?

And the biggy...
    what about my SCCA intake with the dinkus? Can you say because I have a dinkus in my intake I need to be 1085? That's easier than me getting an undinkus'ed intake...
    Or whatever weight penalty that seems reasonable and easy to implement...
    FYI my intake has a dinkus...

Fos
    Love Mosport Love Canadia
    FYI: Shannonville memories are a little horrific like spinning in front of the whole field... lots of turns to remember... more than a post-it note on the steering wheel!
    FYI: I've been rejected at the border before so no surprises there.
    Groton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by fos View Post
    FYI: Shannonville memories are a little horrific like spinning in front of the whole field... lots of turns to remember... more than a post-it note on the steering wheel!
    It has been confirmed that this year Shannonville we will be running the Pro Track and not the Long Track. Cuts out the inner carousel

http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=track&id=0
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by nbrigido View Post
    A lot of people say the tires are faster in year 2.
    Because they will be.

How will shaving tires be controlled?

As Fos said what it the penalty for running the current SCCA sec manifold? On some cars swapping the manifold can change a few other things ( brackets, linkage, air box fitments stuff like that)

Is there a aluminum wheel option for the weight challenged people? If so does anyone have a idea what the difference in weight is?

Thanks
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by fos View Post
    Guys--
    I *LOVE* MOSPORT. This is my excuse to get there! Err... checking with the project manager wife and my sponsor of course... have to miss some kids soccer etc... minute details...

But... if I get there... I see some comments about tires and weight so I'm guessing if I'm close to 1025 with slicks I will be at 1075 with Falkens?

And the biggy...
    what about my SCCA intake with the dinkus? Can you say because I have a dinkus in my intake I need to be 1085? That's easier than me getting an undinkus'ed intake...
    Or whatever weight penalty that seems reasonable and easy to implement...
    FYI my intake has a dinkus...

Fos
    Love Mosport Love Canadia
    FYI: I've been rejected at the border before so no surprises there.
    Groton, MA
    Unless you have a crazy monster you will be ok. We are using the Canadian rules and most of our intakes pass. As for the weight if you meet 1025 you will meet 1075 with the Faulkens.
    DERM

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Because they will be.

How will shaving tires be controlled?

As Fos said what it the penalty for running the current SCCA sec manifold? On some cars swapping the manifold can change a few other things ( brackets, linkage, air box fitments stuff like that)

Is there a aluminum wheel option for the weight challenged people? If so does anyone have a idea what the difference in weight is?

Thanks
    First and foremost this series was developed to control costs. So with that in mind we are staying with steel wheels, as for SCCA manifolds, unless you have a monster you will pass. I use Kohanski manifolds and they pass with no problems. As for the tires I have run IT and trust me its not hard to tell who's running shaved tires.
    Again this series was the brainchild of FV drivers that were tired of the costs and shared track time ( wings and things) we were all seeing. We understand that not all people will agree with what we are trying to do. But lets look at the positive things they are doing. PRIZE MONEY, INCREASED TRACK TIME, LOWER COSTS TO RUN. FV/1200 ONLY RACES. Anyone with a FV/F1200 should see that the series is looking at the best interest of class as a whole. Plus we will be announcing some very exciting news relating to the schedule in the next couple of days. Stay tuned.
    DERM

33. The following members LIKED this post:

[QUOTE] As for the tires I have run IT and trust me its not hard to tell who's running shaved tires. /QUOTE]

Can you explain how? I also have raced in classes that shaved tires this is why I'm asking because as I remember I could only tell when tires were newly shaved and never been on track.

Why would allowing aluminum wheels raise cost for anyone that makes the 1075? Its a 1 time purchase. If I can not make 1075 which I won't it would be nice to have a option to purchase a lighter wheel.
    Mark Filip

One last thing. I have had quite a few inquires for wheels. So that we don't get caught short those that are interested if you give me a pm, if you are interested that would help ( no commitment ) it will just help with inventory. Also a roll call from those that intent to run even just one event will help with our track planning. Look forward to seeing you this year.
    DERM

[QUOTE=fvracer27;464517]
    As for the tires I have run IT and trust me its not hard to tell who's running shaved tires. /QUOTE]

Can you explain how? I also have raced in classes that shaved tires this is why I'm asking because as I remember I could only tell when tires were newly shaved and never been on track.

Why would allowing aluminum wheels raise cost for anyone that makes the 1075? Its a 1 time purchase. If I can not make 1075 which I won't it would be nice to have a option to purchase a lighter wheel.
    DERM

[QUOTE=derminator;464519]

Because Diamond wheel set up to sponsor the series as a wheel supplier.

Diamond Wheel stepped up to sponsor the series as a wheel supplier.
    DERM

You said to keep cost down was the reason not to run aluminum wheels now it's because of a sponsor which is it? I don't care either way but I would just like to be clear on reasons. What happens when the sponsor goes away and we all have 1 wheel that can only get from 1 place? Kinda like the Hoosier tire deal SCCA deals with now.

Can anyone answer how to control the shaving of tires? Again I'm not trying to start anything I'm asking a honest question.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 51

Default Roll call

Derm

I am in for the Challenge Cup Series
    Looking forward to the upcoming season.
    Hope anyone sitting on the fence comes out
    I know there has been alot of work being put
    into the series.

Cheers

Desmond

You said to keep cost down was the reason not to run aluminum wheels now it's because of a sponsor which is it? I don't care either way but I would just like to be clear on reasons. What happens when the sponsor goes away and we all have 1 wheel that can only get from 1 place? Kinda like the Hoosier tire deal SCCA deals with now.

Can anyone answer how to control the shaving of tires? Again I'm not trying to start anything I'm asking a honest question.
    Even Though there is a rule not allowing the shaving of tires, can anyone really prove it? or is anyone really going to challenge it? We have to have some trust in each other as racers as well.

Since this is a "one" tire fits all, when it rains those 2-3 season old tires are not fun....So many drivers have a fresh set they have a spares they can use?

On the wheels, the F1200 have been using Diamond Racing wheels for Years, and never asked for sponsorship. If you have any Fast wheels you can use them as well. Diamond has always serviced our needs when we asked. they are also reasonably priced.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by nbrigido View Post
    It has been confirmed that this year Shannonville we will be running the Pro Track and not the Long Track. Cuts out the inner carousel

http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=track&id=0
    Oh, that is GOOD....
    14 Turns my arse... More like 19 turns, and it was 30+ shifts per lap in a SuperKart.

So, us USA guys, with our manifolds with the Falkens = 1085?
    (I am already there without the Falkens..)
    John
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

Nelson Ledges
    Word on the NARRC Facebook is that Nelson has "Closed until further notification", and they are looking at the Glen.

Any status on this?

John
    Last edited by nhJohn; 02.25.15 at 2:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

Quote Originally Posted by nhJohn View Post
    Nelson Ledges
    Word on the NARRC Facebook is that Nelson has "Closed until further notification", and they are looking at the Glen.

Any status on this?

John
    Any thoughts on Calibogie (sp?)
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

There are more than a hundred sets of the current 14" wheels floating around North America, from Quebec to California. It is a proven wheel from a proven supplier. There is no need to go another direction. Many other companies can build the wheels, should there be a demand for them.

For people not following along ...... shaving radial street tires to use on a 1100 lb formula car has not proven to be advantageous, whether FF or FV. Go ahead, shave your tires ..... they will only last 2 years instead of 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information