Liked: 9

Default Hewland MK-9 reverse?

Cannot seem to engage reverse in the MK-9 box in my (new to me) Lotus 61. The care runs fine so I am certain its an adjustment...any suggestions???

Thanks

Liked: 3787

Are you moving the shifter the right way?

Seriously, some boxes have extremmely heavy reverse lockout springs.
    You can take the rear cover off and see if you can shift it from there.
    If so, then check the linkage to see if it has problems.
    If you can't shift it from inside the rear cover, pull the gear stack and see if the reverse fork has come loose on it's rail (because of a super stiff spring).

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Do a search on this site for "reverse" and you'll get all kinds of advice. It's not an uncommon problem and has many causes and solutions.

This recent thread would be a good start:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...hlight=reverse

Liked: 8

Reverse............

Are you new to the Hewland gearbox? Google "Tony Wilson hewland"

1. If the car is new to you contact the seller and ask about it! Did they have issues with reverse?
    2. Reverse gear issues can be caused by...............

shifter linkage out of adjustment, (possible)

high spring tension in the reverse detent pin, (more likely) With the engine off, with the gear shift lever in Neutral, slap it hard to the left toward your leg, beyond where you would engage 2nd gear, and pull back. Reverse gear does not engage any dog rings, it engages an intermediate gear that is mounted on the forward wall of the transaxle housing, separating the gearbox from the ring and pinion. You may need to have someone rock the car back and forth during this exercise. The reverse detent pin spring can be an issue if it is too stiff.

Reverse shift fork out of adjustment..........if so requires a shop with the knowledge to readjust the shift fork.

Worn Reverse gear(s)............if you experience grinding when trying reverse, you may have a worn reverse gear, (there are 3, the gear on the Pinion shaft, the intermediate gear, or the gear on the Layshaft).

I hope this helps!

Belair

Liked: 324

Quote Originally Posted by belair View Post
    slap it hard to the left toward your leg, beyond where you would engage 2nd gear, and pull back.
    Belair
    of course you meant push forward....
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 8

Yes........push up next to 1st! Sorry!

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by belair View Post
    Yes........push up next to 1st! Sorry!
    The box was recently gone through by Taylor so I do not belive its a gear or internal issue. I am new to the car but I believe its an adjustment at the shifter and its not going over to the "left"' far enough to be able to be pushed forward into gear??? I have tried rocking the car while doing this with no luck???

Liked: 0

Default Reverse

I've seen the head of an allen bolt placed in the detent hole to lock out reverse. Check that the lever can compress the detent spring.

Liked: 492

If you can select reverse with the back cover off, it is usually a problem with the shifter. If you have a lot of play in the shifter you cannot get all the gears. Bolts loose in the holes, or worn "U" joints will cause this.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information