Liked: 29

Default Formula Mazda popularity in IL/IN?

Hello, I posted my interest and seeking advice on the Formula Mazda series in the "General Discussion" section but I was hoping someone here could tell me if this class has enough drivers in the Illinois/Indiana regions? I looked on the SCCA website and it appears the class is weak in the Midwest/Central area. I would like to compete in the class but not if only a handfull of cars to compete with. Thanks- Kevin

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Attachment 34139

These numbers reflect the total number of entries at Nationals by class and division. The numbers at the top reflect the total number of events.

Thank you Daryl. If I'm reading the chart correct the Central class had 19 TOTAL entries in 5 races? Thanks

Liked: 218

You read it correctly. I know FE was down this year with only 34 entries, but I expect it to be back to a 10 car average next year. I don't know the reason for the low number of FM's.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    You read it correctly. I know FE was down this year with only 34 entries, but I expect it to be back to a 10 car average next year. I don't know the reason for the low number of FM's.

Not the ideal car counts for sure but at least I can travel a bit to other regions.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

As someone who came to road racing from karting and dirt oval track racing where 30 car fields were small I find much more value in the size of the class and the relative competitiveness than I do the speed of the car. You may find a class desireable for other reasons....just didn't want someone telling you to "jump in the water's fine" if it's not (per your own criteria) in your part of the country.

Liked: 27

Default Pros of FMs

I came from a dirt background of motorcycles, mini sprints and 360 winged sprint cars. You will enjoy the stand on it driving style of the FM and the toughness of the car. I did over 150 races before I damaged a suspension component. It takes about a year to learn how to get around a road course with anything resembling a competitive lap. Sooo, just sigh up at any of the local tracks and enjoy driving the car with or without competition. The next year you will probably be looking for faster drivers and that's when the traveling starts.

Enjoy,
    Darryl Wills

BTW, I have won 3 National Titles with a '96 chassis

Liked: 1

Autobahn country club has a FM series. Not sure if it's for members only though. Call Havoc for details.

Contributing Member

We should have solid FM fields next year. I'll run out of cinci and there are 4 to 5 FM's coming out of michigan. All good guys. Plus, I'm hearing of another few guys coming out to run from the general area with cars that changed hands recently. We are planning to coordinate the events we attend to keep the racing fun. Shoot me a PM if you want any info or our likely schedule.

Liked: 146

FM car counts were definitely disappointing this year. It was a real eye-opener when Jason and I were the only FMs at the RA Cat National! Another two-car team are regulars at the MI National rounds, Steve (driver68 above) is a M-O mainstay and always at the big showcase events. As he said, we're trying to make a schedule where we can get as many FMs together as we can. The June Sprints and Runoffs both featured 13 cars from everywhere, so that is at least treading water, comparatively.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Thanks for all the great replies! I joined Autobahn in Joliet and I'm headed there this coming Tuesday to rent a FM from Havoc Motorsports to see if I like driving the cars. Like Daryll said above it will likely take me a year to get used to the cars and turn a respectable lap to compete. They have a members series that races the FM cars so I can get some experience there as well. Hopefully the numbers increase around this area. -Kevin

Thread Information