Liked: 9

Default More mod drivers

Out here in N. CA we are continuing the quest for Mod car dominance. At the last event 2 CSP Miata drivers tried a Formula Mazda and now one of them wants to try a CM car. Chris will have his new CM car out for the last event of our Championship season. Making Mod progress, one driver at a time
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Out here in N. CA we are continuing the quest for Mod car dominance. At the last event 2 CSP Miata drivers tried a Formula Mazda and now one of them wants to try a CM car. Chris will have his new CM car out for the last event of our Championship season. Making Mod progress, one driver at a time
    Mark
    Great! I wish the same thing was happening in NC since I cannot afford to move back to N. Ca. and the Midwest has too much snow.

Dick

Liked: 6

But no CM car is coming to Nats from Northern California this year. Hope this will change next year.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Mark
    So who wants out of their miata now?

I got the nose cone repaired, it will be painted tomorrow.

I like the increased CM driver count, but it would be highly desirable to get some different makes in the mix.

I know that a pair of ESP drivers are also looking to switch into something new, and they have been following my car progress with a keen eye. It wouldn't take much to tip them into a CM drive.

Liked: 3

Tom and Scott...maybe growing tired of the arms war that C$P has become?

Hoping that by next year, my car will be ready to take back to Lincoln. I have one more item to address (I think it may have an illegal cam, to be candid, as the idle has too much lope) and then will be ready to start dialing it in...I haven't even run it on tires with less than 40 runs on them, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post

Hoping that by next year, my car will be ready to take back to Lincoln. I have one more item to address (I think it may have an illegal cam, to be candid, as the idle has too much lope) and then will be ready to start dialing it in...I haven't even run it on tires with less than 40 runs on them, yet.
    You mean Tom Kubo and Scott Frasier?? Wow! I've gotta give them a call!

A fresh set of tires make a world of difference as I'm sure you already know. Don't tune your car on an old set of tires.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDude View Post
    You mean Tom Kubo and Scott Frasier?? Wow! I've gotta give them a call!

A fresh set of tires make a world of difference as I'm sure you already know. Don't tune your car on an old set of tires.

Yes, those are the guys. But, I wouldn't read too much into it, I'd guess they are just kind of kicking around ideas.

I haven't even started to tune my car, just been working on making it reliable and fixing stuff that was wrong...which has been a slow process, as I've run very, very few events this year. Now, I'm worried about the engine being illegal...it just seems to have a little bit of a lope to the idle, which a FF shouldn't have...I know the timing is really close/spot on. I don't think it has a vacumn leak, so I'm thinking cam. As it also has double valve springs (I know, illegal), I'm concerned. It may be the tri-y Hy Tech header and no muffler, possibly, that makes it sound lopey. Of course, this stuff is all on me, as I didn't conduct enough research before buying, so caveat emptor.

In any case, I've driven Mark's car probably just as much as mine and I can honestly say if mine does have a hot cam, it isn't doing anything LOL

Liked: 65

does the lope sound like "potato potato potato"? Thats normal, these are old tractor motors. But I understand the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDude View Post
    But no CM car is coming to Nats from Northern California this year. Hope this will change next year.
    Next year for sure. I am already exploring options.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 0

I tried to buy the old Marinus then Ankeny Sports2000 years ago but couldn't sell my early 911 quick enough. The Tiga sold and I ended up keeping the 911. I have wanted a Sports2000/FF for years but have too many projects.

After Tom and I drove Ken's BM Formula Mazda, we both thought it would be interesting to try out a CM car.

Still just thinking,
    Scott Fraser

although if you do find a sports2000 let me know. HAHAA

Liked: 309

Default S2000

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysracin View Post
    I tried to buy the old Marinus then Ankeny Sports2000 years ago but couldn't sell my early 911 quick enough. The Tiga sold and I ended up keeping the 911. I have wanted a Sports2000/FF for years but have too many projects.

After Tom and I drove Ken's BM Formula Mazda, we both thought it would be interesting to try out a CM car.

Still just thinking,
    Scott Fraser

Here you go!

85 Swift DB 2

Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysracin View Post

Still just thinking,
    Scott Fraser

Hey Scott, you and Tom will be more than welcome to try my CM car at National T 'n T on Monday. We have 2-3pm and 4-5pm reserved for ourselves. Reserve a different time slot and the car will be yours. Bring narrow shoes since the foot well is very tight.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

After measuring valve lift via a dial indicator on push rods, I'm not worried about my cam any longer. Still, I need to have a pro dive into my motor to see exactly what I am working with...

Liked: 14

Default A new Mod competitor

Hey Mark, Mike, Dan and others,
    I'll be bringing an Anson SA-6 Super Vee out this fall, BM or AM. Doing a couple of Autox mods to it now. Hope you FF guys don't embarrass me too much.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McHugh View Post
    Hey Mark, Mike, Dan and others,
    I'll be bringing an Anson SA-6 Super Vee out this fall, BM or AM. Doing a couple of Autox mods to it now. Hope you FF guys don't embarrass me too much.
    Cheers
    Mike,
    FFs are fast, but not BM fast. Look forward to seeing the Anson Vee in action.
    Mark

Liked: 1117

Default The Ultimate Mod Driver

Sorry, but when I saw the thread title all I could think of was:

James Hunt.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 102

After measuring valve lift via a dial indicator on push rods, I'm not worried about my cam any longer.
    When I took my first FF engine apart in 1985 due to an oil pump failure, I discovered that all of the lifter faces were concave instead of flat, and the edges of every cam lobe had worn severely as a result. I think the lifters had been machined concave, so the opening and closing ramps were artificially steep and the duration at max lift was vastly increased. That was a clever but illegal way to increase the area under the curve using a stock cam, and it would pass a lift-only legality inspection. I replaced all of that nonsense with new bits, and I could tell that it lost a fair amount of power.

Thread Information