Thread: HANS + Headrest

Liked: 0

Default HANS + Headrest

I tried on my HANS in my car for the first time (VD RF96) and I am having some issues with it hitting the small cockpit bars above my shoulders, where they come back and meet at the headrest. The HANS manual says that I should have 1-3" between my helmet and the HANS...so should I make a tiny head-rest pad that hits the helmet and not the HANS?

Right now it feels like the HANS is pushing my helmet forward since I can't lean back to my headrest with it on.

Please let me know of any ideas for a HANS-compatible headrest. Thanks!
    Jim

Liked: 3855

Sean had the same issue in his '96 VD f1000 FB. It will most likely require you moving your shoulders forward an inch or two. Practice with some folded towels before you re-pour a seat.

If you leave it as is, your neck will get sore.

IMHO if you are wearing a HANS a headrest is un-necessary. The HANS becomes the headrest.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1592

I took the "T" shaped pad at the top and replaced it with the smaller pad that sits below. It's only about half as thick.

Liked: 11

This same issue resulted in my packing up and missing a race last year... even with the headrest removed. My neck hurt so bad that I could barely move, and it took nearly 3 weeks to get back to 100%. Your neck is not supposed to take 2+ g's nevermind taking them while leaning forward. I eventually sold the Hans and plan on buying another device. On-line, the Hans folks wanted to help resolve the issue but when I called them as they said for me to do they really did not seem to care.

I know, small fish.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default HANS Verses Headrest

This issue of the HANS not working well with some headrest designs needs to be brought up with the rules makers since according to the SCCA GCR paragraph 9.4.1.B there is no provision for removing the 36 square inch X 1" min. thickness required headrest per the 2007 rules.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 1941

The headrest HAS to be there, period, both for the sake of rules compliance and for your safety, so you will need to spend the time to find a way to solve the issue. Only the very latest cars are designed to allow a Hans, and the majority of older cars will have to be modified.

On one of our older cars I had to move some tubes and re-make the 'glass cover over them so as to move the headrest back 2 inches - moving the driver forward was not a good solution for this guy, nor would it be for most drivers.

'fraid you'll just have to bite the bullet and make the mods necessary.

I had a very positive experience with my HANS purchase in mid 2004. I ordered a model 40 and sent my helmet to them to install the anchors. Turnaround was little more than the shipping time from/to CA. I ran the 40 one weekend a realized I needed a 30. I explained this in an email to Gary Milgrom (gmilgrom@hansdevice.com) and they exchanged it immediately.

I had to move the attachment points for the shoulder harness in my DB1 (Neil Porter did the work). I find using the HANS unobtrusive and have even figured out how to get in the car without any assistance.

Liked: 11

Re-reading my post...

Don't get me wrong, 98% of racers love the Hans... its my car, my issue & one that I'd rather solve by using a different device instead of re-engineering my car (again).
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rozeboom View Post
    I had a very positive experience with my HANS purchase in mid 2004. I ordered a model 40 and sent my helmet to them to install the anchors. Turnaround was little more than the shipping time from/to CA. I ran the 40 one weekend a realized I needed a 30. I explained this in an email to Gary Milgrom (gmilgrom@hansdevice.com) and they exchanged it immediately.

I had to move the attachment points for the shoulder harness in my DB1 (Neil Porter did the work). I find using the HANS unobtrusive and have even figured out how to get in the car without any assistance.
    Ken,
    Can you provide information on how the mounting points for the harness on your DB1 changed to accomodate the HANS? With my DB1 down to bare frame, now would be the time to make the change. Thanks. Jim
    Jim

Jim,
    Neil sells a device that bolts to the original shoulder harness attachment points and moves them closer together. That is the easiest way. When I did mine this wasn't around so he just welded in two more tubes along the frame rail towards the rear bulkhead. Offset is 1 inch on center. I sit all the back so this works better for me - no seat, just a foam insert. If you are wondering why the bolt in the front tube on driver's right that is for the ground to the master switch.

BTW I have a list of AN fasteners I use if you are interested.
    Ken

Thread Information