Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Need foot/crush box

I am tired of replacing three master cylinders after a little contact with a Safer barrier of Armco. The current fiberglass nose just rips off. And, of course, no energy is dissipated until the sudden unmovable encounter with the chassis frame. Anybody done anything? Can I buy one?
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Liked: 0

Default Armco cutter

Now that we have a new president of SCCA E maybe we should write him and ask for a crush box. It would be good to have anyone ( all that are willing ) agree to a concept , then write Erik a letter asking for him to champion our request.

I am 100% in agreement that we should have more foot protection in these cars. This design may be the standard for formula cars but it is a good area to add sagety into our cars. It could be a simple drawing showinf how to build it yourself or it could be a SCCA E purchased part.......but either way a light weight, safe box WILL save dollars and feet.

If SCCA E does not want the liability of designing a crush/crash box then maybe they could make an existing Van Dieman part or equivalent legal ( same wt).

Default crush box not required??

I thought that the GCR said words to the effect that 'cars homologatd after 1986.....' and then further down required a crush box.

The FSCCA cars are homologated, are they not? Since it is after 1986, why do they not have a crush box?

Surely even a spec car should have this common safety feature, especially since it should not be an involved piece to fabricate

Default crush box

I don't think our feet are in danger since they are behind the bulkhead and maybe that is why E gets away with the GCR. I am more worried about the instant deceleration as a result of the robust frame running right into a wall-- and, of course, smashing the master cylinders in the process.

Default crush box

I have one in my Zetec car. My understanding is that it will bolt right in to a FSCCA car. It attaches to the nose mounting blocks with 4 M6 countersunk socket head bolts. Very simple and pretty cheap (I believe it was about $250). Call Miles or Kevin at Comprent and I am sure they can set you up...

Sean

Default 5 mph bumpers

Sean

What the the approx weight of the unit you are talking about?

DLM

Default crush box

The Ztech box does not fit. It is to small you could make adapters but im not sure if that would give you what you are looking for.There are some old posts regarding this. I was told Enterprises is making one. But that was a year ago.

Liked: 1

Bruce,

I made a new one for the Zink this year after punching the wall at NHIS. It took about 12 hours of work (Never did any sheet-metal work before) and about $50 in materials, if I rmember.

I'd be happy to loan you my barely-adequate sheet metal brake.

Geoff
    -----------------------------------------
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

Default Zetec fits?

Fred, I am being told by another FSCCA owner that he installed an unmodified Zetec F2000 box AOK- and he thinks it cost around $250.

Default crush box

A Ztech nose is about 1.5 inches narrower I had one(to measure from). Kevin at Comprent had made up a box that would fit last I new. But something with Enertprises stoped him from selling them. They supposedly had one they where going to offer.

Default Box

Fred,
    Ken Brown at Enterprises told me that the box they were considering would have to sell for $1,500 so they did not proceed.

So what's the problem?

Default Crush Box

In my first meeting with Elan last week we agreed to provide a crush box that mounts inside the nose box as either an option or required part (SCCA Club Racing Board will determine this). The part will be reasonable in price (target sub $200 retail) and the intent is that it will mount to the same blocks as the nose structure. A preliminary design was underway at Comprent and Kevin offered to allow us to copy this if it meets our approval, if not, Elan will design the part from scratch. The part will need to fit both turned up (formula car) and turned down (Sports racer) noses if possible. Agressive target is a September availability.

Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises
    Last edited by Erik Skirmants; 07.25.05 at 6:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Sounds good Erik.

I was able to mount a un modified Ztec FC crush box to the inside surfaces of the mounting blocks by just drilling and tapping them. It cleared all the nose fiberglass just fine on the formula car. The rounded mounting edges were butted against the front bulkhead.

Tom Mihelich

Default Enterprises crush box

Erik,
    This is great!
    As Tom says, I have a Van Diemen CSR that says the Zetec F2000 boxes fit. I also have detailed plans from an FSCCA owner who designed and built his own.
    Now, if I can just keep it off the wall until then...
    Bruce

Excellent!

Thread Information