Liked: 8

Default Steel vs aluminum

We will be upgrading to a 8.5 by 20 trailer soon, living with a 7 by 16 is getting old in a hurry. What are thoughts on steel versus aluminum trailers, aluminum is going to be roughly twice the cost. Nobody can really give you a straight answer on weight savings but that is important for towing with our RV. The other point is holding their value, it seems like aluminum puts things in a different category with retaining value compared to steel.

Also, we live in Alabama and there are a billion trailer manufacturers nearby in Georgia. Its hard to tell how many of these trailers end up all over the country being sold under all different brand names, but it seems like there are lots of commentary on you get what you pay for. We keep trailers in our shop so I dont have concerns about rust.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 920

I thought you were not looking hard enough for the data re differences in weight between steel and aluminum, but you weren't (I checked)! From what I could see, for the same size trailer there could be a weight difference of anywhere from 900-1400 pounds. I think the real variable here is how different manufacturers actually draw up their designs. Is the roof on 16" centres or 24" centres? What thickness aluminum are they using for exterior walls? Alloy wheels vs steel (its a huge difference btw)? Flooring material? We could go on here for a while, but I get the sense that you really won't be able to get a close comparison.

best,
    bt

Thread Information