Thread: FF Engine Build

Liked: 0

Default FF Engine Build

I'm considering building what could be considered a 'mule' engine to get my Reynard 84F back on track and me up to speed (if that's even possible!). I'm not without skills, and have maintained FF engines in the past. Jake Lamont's book is a great information source, but hasn't been updated since 2005 (I think), and new parts have been allowed for legal use since then, Ford made blocks, SCAT crank etc.

Has anyone written an 'addendum' to Jake's book to include these more recently available parts?

Can the crank be considered ready to use (with the exception of balancing)?, Are the blocks good to use or do they need to be trued, squared and bored etc.

I'm thinking building an engine using these 'known good' parts might be the smart way to go, and would be a good platform for performance upgrades as/if my skill improves.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks,

Max

PS If anyone has a tired but legal FF engine gathering dust, perhaps we should have a chat.

Liked: 978

To know what parts are now legal, your best bet is the SCCA GCRs. Page 205 for the Kent engine specs and rules including allowed parts.

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...RUNOFFS%29.pdf

Finding a good legal used FF prepared engine with a cast steel crank is probably the lowest cost way to get your Reynard on track. If it has an iron crank replace it with a cast steel one with new ARP flywheel bolts. A freshly refurbished head on a low to medium hour bottom end will give you decent power.

I know of a FF prepped Kent that just became available, but it's well east of you. Msg me if you are interested.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 340

I have just done this, over here on the other side of the pond, so can recommend it as a 'to do' thing!

Thread Information