Contributing Member
    Liked: 91

Default Odd Hewland adapter

I've got this Ford/Hewland adapter that has no timing hole cast in the top. It looks like it's NOS.
    Were the early ones made without a hole, as if still using a stock front pulley.
    Is this something special, or just weird. It does have Hewland in the casting.
    If I need to use it, am I correct in assuming TDC is centered between the top 2 bolts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 324

Is the width of the adapter same as a known adapter? i.e 2.125" (or whatever that exact depth is)? If different, it could be for some weird application, not a Hewland MK8-9.

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schmidt View Post
    I've got this Ford/Hewland adapter that has no timing hole cast in the top. It looks like it's NOS.
    Were the early ones made without a hole, as if still using a stock front pulley.
    Is this something special, or just weird. It does have Hewland in the casting.
    If I need to use it, am I correct in assuming TDC is centered between the top 2 bolts?
    I recently installed a similar no window adapter and Jay Ivey said TDC was centered between the bolts.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

same thickness as "regular" ones
    only odd thing is lack of a hole

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 286

Default Hewland adapters

A lot of the 70-80s standard hewland FF adpters had no timing hole. drilled quite a few in my time with the old hole saw.
    phil

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Creighton View Post
    A lot of the 70-80s standard hewland FF adpters had no timing hole. drilled quite a few in my time with the old hole saw.
    phil
    works for me thanks

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 286

Default Timing Hole

A wise old english FF engine builder said - dont mess with the timing - all you can do is ---- it up. Its perfect.
    Maybe thats why it was considered redundant

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 920

I've often thought a timing hole at about 2 o'clock on the adapter, viewed from the back of the car (and an appropriately re-marked set of timing marks on the flywheel) would be a heck of a lot better/easier in terms of setting the timing. Especially so on cars with an over-the-top exhaust, etc.

cheers,
    bt

Contributing Member
    Liked: 133

On my RF92 I’ve put a window on the RHS adapter plate down by the block/oil pan interface, then made another mark on the flywheel with an oil pen marker. Can reach the carb and distributor easily from that spot.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Thread Information