Liked: 7

Default Pinto 2.0l smoke out of upper coolant tube?!?

I have a rather strange problem. The engine was recently rebuilt and only has break in time on it.

Just got the car together and checking for oil pressure/ leaks. It hasn't been running longer than 30secs or so.

https://youtu.be/D_aVyLHwuoQ

https://youtu.be/WVtCug6rkoQ

Is this normal for the pinto?

There was some left over water / coolant in the block. Is it just heating up and coming off?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1609

Anything that was in the head as a result of cleaning or machining is getting hot and vaporizing.

I don't know what the point is of running the car with no water. If you are worried about oil system leaks then drive the oil pump with an old belt and pulley and a decent drill. Running it for 20 sec is only going to show you the gross leaks anyway.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Anything that was in the head as a result of cleaning or machining is getting hot and vaporizing.

I don't know what the point is of running the car with no water. If you are worried about oil system leaks then drive the oil pump with an old belt and pulley and a decent drill. Running it for 20 sec is only going to show you the gross leaks anyway.

Cool, Yea I was just looking for gross oil leaks before I took the time to put water/coolant into it. I will add that now. Thanks so much for saving the day for a new person!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 916

Default I do recall.....

....that savant Peter Egan did the same thing on every motor he rebuilt. Ran it in the car for a minute w/o coolant on its first start. I think he wrote about it in R&T when he restored his E-Type. Something about listening to the exhaust manifold crackle slightly as it cooled afterwards, while smoking a Marlborough and sipping whiskey

It seems odd to me to do so. However, if it is good enough for PE, then......

best
    bt

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    ....that savant Peter Egan did the same thing on every motor he rebuilt. Ran it in the car for a minute w/o coolant on its first start. I think he wrote about it in R&T when he restored his E-Type. Something about listening to the exhaust manifold crackle slightly as it cooled afterwards, while smoking a Marlborough and sipping whiskey

It seems odd to me to do so. However, if it is good enough for PE, then......

best
    bt
    That's freaking wild! Such a cool story.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 111

When I first install a new motor I don't bother with water either. I only run it for maybe 20 seconds to check for gross oil leaks. If its all good I fill up the cooling system, bleed the rad, and start it and top it up.

Liked: 186

Cannot imagine the water pump likes running dry.

If it’s difficult differentiating between an oil and water leak some folks just remove one variable on start up.

Thread Information