Liked: 9

Default Zetec - water in exhaust

I am getting small amounts (a teaspoon or 2) of water in my exhaust pipe. Need to figure out where it is coming from.
    Compression is good across all 4 cylinders, as is leak down. Cold/warm pressure testing (+/- 15 PSI) on the cooling system also shows no leak down. Any Ideas?

Also looking for a Zetec motor rebuild shop in Western Canada or Northwest US. Recommendations?

Bri.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 421

Are you losing water?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Are you losing water?
    Yes, header tank is down a bit. Nothing major. Probably wouldn't even think about it except for the water in the exhaust pipe makes me worry.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1357

Do you have a scope?

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Way-Artic...dp/B0DGSSJQN5/

To see if any of the cylinders are steam cleaned?
    Generally that would come out as steam/white smoke thought and not 'water'.

Does the 'teaspoon' re-appear between sessions?

Since you lose water I think it's a pinhole near and exhaust port that squirts into the exhaust as the cooling system pressures down. Haven't looked at the cooling passages in the head to see how close they get to the exhaust ports.

Pull the headers and pressurize the cooling system and see if you see water in the exhaust ports.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by quickmag View Post
    I am getting small amounts (a teaspoon or 2) of water in my exhaust pipe. Need to figure out where it is coming from.
    Compression is good across all 4 cylinders, as is leak down. Cold/warm pressure testing (+/- 15 PSI) on the cooling system also shows no leak down. Any Ideas?

Also looking for a Zetec motor rebuild shop in Western Canada or Northwest US. Recommendations?

Bri.
    Guessing your exhaust temperature in Calgary could be 40 F in the morning, which could result in condensation on start-up?

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3855

I think we need more info. When do you see this tablespoon of water? Right at start up of a cold engine?

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    Guessing your exhaust temperature in Calgary could be 40 F in the morning, which could result in condensation on start-up?
    Yes it could be, except that the coolant level in the header tank when down as well, so condensation probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I think we need more info. When do you see this tablespoon of water? Right at start up of a cold engine?
    Noticed a few drops of water at the end of the collector at a cold start trying to put the car in the trailer. Pulled the collector off, tablespoon of fluid in the collector.
    Had been sitting for about 2-3 weeks since the last race. Engine started, at the last race, to seeming be low on power below 4,000 RPM and not pull that well.

Thread Information