Gents:

Optimum size and source, please.

Is this too big?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1593

Optimum size depends entirely on your circumstances - radiators, engine HP, location, etc.

Years ago I used some aluminum honeycomb to fill in the entry of my sidepods. Worked fine on the west coast with an iron head pinto, and were OK when I first put the AL head on (but the engine was way down on HP). These got constantly damaged and I could never figure out a really good way to secure them in the duct, so I replaced them with nomex honeycomb on the entire face of the radiators.

This worked at sea level, in a humid environment on the east coast. Moved back to Cali, and the car overheated (tracks here are 100-1500 ft MSL, near zero humidity, and 10 deg hotter than I encountered on the east coast).

I eventually figured out how much blockage the nomex stuff was responsible for, and unable to find a bigger variant, I resorted to 3D printing screens. With 3DP, you can set the size and shape of the infill. I simply deleted the top and bottom layers in the print, which resulted in a screen of desired size.

I've never seen them made and sold on a production basis.

Liked: 3460

Default Related thread

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...adiator+screen

Also, the large bypass area outside of the radiator is likely to allow too much air to escape (it will follow the path of least resistance) and not have enough velocity/pressure on the radiator side to get good airflow through the radiator.

You need a divider that goes all the way to the front to separate the 2 airflows and trap sufficient airflow on the radiator side.
    Dave Weitzenhof

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 159

Mcmaster-Carr for wire cloth. Opening size, wire size and percent open area listed.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 675

Dude, most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Optimum size depends entirely on your circumstances - radiators, engine HP, location, etc.

Years ago I used some aluminum honeycomb to fill in the entry of my sidepods. Worked fine on the west coast with an iron head pinto, and were OK when I first put the AL head on (but the engine was way down on HP). These got constantly damaged and I could never figure out a really good way to secure them in the duct, so I replaced them with nomex honeycomb on the entire face of the radiators.

This worked at sea level, in a humid environment on the east coast. Moved back to Cali, and the car overheated (tracks here are 100-1500 ft MSL, near zero humidity, and 10 deg hotter than I encountered on the east coast).

I eventually figured out how much blockage the nomex stuff was responsible for, and unable to find a bigger variant, I resorted to 3D printing screens. With 3DP, you can set the size and shape of the infill. I simply deleted the top and bottom layers in the print, which resulted in a screen of desired size.

I've never seen them made and sold on a production basis.
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information