Liked: 865

Default Will Power seat belts

Reading this morning that Power's belts popped open a second time, and he came in, got re-plugged again, and went back out a third time...
    Seriously?
    With that mindset, why did he even stop the second time? No inkling that it might keep happening? Especially if loaded heavily in a crash?
    The championship was long gone after the first stop, is he just ... stupid?
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Lotus7; 09.16.24 at 2:59 PM.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 1156

I see it as more of a “Never say die” and “Third time’s the charm” attitude — normally a good thing.

Although in this case, the former sure was a possibility.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 132

Or why did he come in the first time? Under your logic he would have immediately thought the seat belt was faulty. I am not sure the mind had that much extra processing capacity when running that fast on an oval
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 239

If he gets out of the car after a few laps, instead of "stupid" he'd be called a quiter.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    If he gets out of the car after a few laps, instead of "stupid" he'd be called a quiter.
    You'd call a guy who gets out of an indycar on an oval with faulty seat belts a "quitter" ? wow, ok
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    Or why did he come in the first time? Under your logic he would have immediately thought the seat belt was faulty. I am not sure the mind had that much extra processing capacity when running that fast on an oval
    not what I said at all; the first time it happened he might have thought "not done up properly", or "I bumped it"; the second time was evidence of a problem...
    and yeah, I totally agree with "lots to process", but these guys aren't the same as us mere mortals.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 239

No Ian. You called him stupid so I responded by reasoning that by that standard he can't win ... either he'll get called stupid or he'll get called a quitter. Clearly he's not stupid. And he proved hundreds of times over that he's not a quitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    You'd call a guy who gets out of an indycar on an oval with faulty seat belts a "quitter" ? wow, ok
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    No Ian. You called him stupid so I responded by reasoning that by that standard he can't win ... either he'll get called stupid or he'll get called a quitter. Clearly he's not stupid. And he proved hundreds of times over that he's not a quitter.
    well, with respect, lets disagree; while he sure isn't a quitter, he sure set a bad 'safety' example in my mind.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 1156

It’s his life, and what was said of Gilles Villeneuve and Reinhold Messner.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 77

back to the real question...why did they come undone? Faulty mechanism or something maybe got jammed in there when buckling..?
    Reaching for an adjustment and popped it...and it sure took a long time to re-set when he came in, Not that there wasn't urgency in the moment which makes fumbling with that stuff worse. Wonder if we will ever know..

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    back to the real question...why did they come undone? Faulty mechanism or something maybe got jammed in there when buckling..?
    Reaching for an adjustment and popped it...and it sure took a long time to re-set when he came in, Not that there wasn't urgency in the moment which makes fumbling with that stuff worse. Wonder if we will ever know..
    "More haste…less speed".

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 534

It’s a tough design problem. Need a latch that’s easy to quickly release but not easy to accidentally release.
    tight cockpit. It’s certainly possible to bump it unintentionally.

Liked: 534

Regarding what Will might have been thinking you can only speculate.
    But I will speculate that the team probably does not regularly practice rapid reassembly of the seatbelts under race conditions so he probably did not know how long it may or may not take to fix the problem. He was also fighting for more than just the championship, as the next several positions in the championship were also in jeopardy.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 199

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Regarding what Will might have been thinking you can only speculate.
    But I will speculate that the team probably does not regularly practice rapid reassembly of the seatbelts under race conditions so he probably did not know how long it may or may not take to fix the problem. He was also fighting for more than just the championship, as the next several positions in the championship were also in jeopardy.
    Agreed! I can only imagine how tough it is for the crew member to latch those belts while wearing a helmet and in those tight quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Agreed! I can only imagine how tough it is for the crew member to latch those belts while wearing a helmet and in those tight quarters.
    Agreed, I buckle drivers in several times a day, without wearing a helmet, without the aeroscreen in the way, and under zero time pressure; I was totally empathetic with that crew member.
    But my question was what was Power thinking by going out repeatedly after it came undone twice. From earlier comments, I'm apparently more shocked than others :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 284

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Having buckled in a few drivers with the aeroscreen in place I can say that it's not really easy without a helmet but it's damn near impossible with a helmet on and the steering wheel in place. Then throw in the added pressure of doing it during the race. Why they didn't remove the wheel the first time is beyond me. I am told that they did remove the wheel the second time

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 131

Default Belts

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Reading this morning that Power's belts popped open a second time, and he came in, got re-plugged again, and went back out a third time...
    Seriously?
    With that mindset, why did he even stop the second time? No inkling that it might keep happening? Especially if loaded heavily in a crash?
    The championship was long gone after the first stop, is he just ... stupid?
    Thoughts?
    Anyone willing to name the manufacturer?

Liked: 29

This article is interesting, particularly when it discusses his partner’s health issues and his thoughts of quitting racing.

https://www.the-race.com/indycar/wha...dycar-decider/

The lead picture in the article shows him wearing belts, but don’t know the date of the photo. I use belts from the same company as in the photo.

South Carolina and wherever the SCCA sends me.
    Liked: 144

One note on this while it's come up in discussion.

One the broadcast the announcers said something like, "it was the lap belt, that's the worst one. It might be OK if it was just a shoulder belt."

THIS IS 100% NOT TRUE.

The system must have all belts in place to work properly. A failure of any one component starts holding parts of the body in place and not others. Similar to how a basal skull fracture can occur when the body is held in place but the head is unrestrained, holding hips/lower extremities in place and not the upper body can create it's own set of injuries.

Do not drive a car if any part of your safety system has had a failure/is not operational.
    Jon K - 1986 Swift DB3/Honda

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1169

Quote Originally Posted by racerjon1 View Post
    One the broadcast the announcers said something like, "it was the lap belt, that's the worst one. It might be OK if it was just a shoulder belt."
    What a clown.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

South Carolina and wherever the SCCA sends me.
    Liked: 144

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    What a clown.
    I can't remember who it was, but I'd expect more from Hinch or Townsend if they heard/said it. Had I not been watching it on delay (came home from an SCCA event and watched the replay) I probably would have tried to use my network to get a message to them. (I know they read texts during broadcasts.)
    Jon K - 1986 Swift DB3/Honda

Thread Information