Classifieds Super License ace37's Avatar
    Liked: 13

Default 2014 Elan DP02, $65k, just gone through

2014 Elan DP02 IMSA Lites prototype. Roughly an LMP3 class recent historic race car. Running in NASA, VARA eligible, SCCA P1 eligible and chassis is capable of winning with body and engine upgrades. Mazda MZR (or Duratec) motor, Hewland FTR 6 speed transaxle with paddle shifting to improve performance and life. MoTeC C125 dash with I/O, datalogging, GPS, and pro analysis licenses. Car has been gone over, rebuilt transaxle, troubleshooting on motor, replaced leaking fuel cell, bodywork gone over and repaired as needed, new wrap, fire system recharged, new belts, and many minor components rebuilt or replaced as needed. Full records of going over the car are provided. Receipts over last two years total over $40k of work. The car is in quite good shape. Work done by Ian Lacy Racing in Tooele, Utah. 13 hours on Elan Power Products engine, 7 hours on gearbox since last rebuild. Three sets of wheels and limited spares included.

No known remaining mechanical issues. Needs fresh tires, what else is new. Recently idetified wiring/sensor issues (related to the MoTeC upgrade parts): dash/data recording data not valid for (1) front brake pressure, (2) oil temp, and (3) one of the rear shock pot sensors. Regarding (2), the oil pressure and water temperature sensors work, and the car is always warmed up properly.

The Multimatic dynamic shocks are simply excellent. The car shares some parts with the Pro Formula Mazdas, and that makes it easier to get tires and spares, and it can be run at a fairly low cost if the motor is intentionally rebuilt conservatively (Elan can rebuild it at this power level with 100 hour rebuild intervals). For SCCA or just overkill, the motor can instead be rebuilt at 2.3 or 2.5L or replaced with Duratec builds with outputs just over 300bhp, and Zebulon offers a (~$50k) full carbon DP02 body with updated aero to replace the current fiberglass body, adding downforce and reducing weight and drag. Also, very safe - the car meets FIA F3 safety standards including rollover and side anti-intrusion. This is an excellent race car.

I have a fair bit of notes and collected info about the car that I can append here or simply provide to the buyer. Ian Lacy Racing can talk about the car with you, and they talked with Kevin at Comprent on occasion and had him assist in a few things such as rebuilding the steering.

For sale because we’ve made a big shift and decided to move our family to Oahu Hawaii instead of building a home here. They don’t have any racetracks on the island, and I don't want to own a car to do fly in and out arrive and drive racing. I also have a one, five, and eight year old, and I want to spend more of my time/energy/money with them while they are young. At least surfing will be cheaper than auto racing!

Photos showing taking the car down

Attached Images Attached Images

Additional photos of the car under the body panels

And finally, photos of the car running at Utah Motorsports Campus