Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 1016

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    I first joined SCCA in 1967, have been frustrated over the years, quit and rejoined a few times. This last stint rapidly approaching 30 years. Someone in a previous post mentioned SCCA finances and it would be nice as a member to see a financial statement. At one time it was published yearly in Sports Car, back when Pro Racing was losing money. Then the accounting format was changed, and you needed a forensic accountant to understand the numbers. Then they quit publishing it altogether. One night I spent 2 hours searching online without luck to uncover that single document. ...
    Log in on scca.com, and go to your Profile page. Under Member Resources, click on File Cabinet. Click on General Information (5th tab down). You will see audited financial statements for the past few years.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 123

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Log in on scca.com, and go to your Profile page. Under Member Resources, click on File Cabinet. Click on General Information (5th tab down). You will see audited financial statements for the past few years.

Thank you

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 148

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Thanks for the tip. The audited financial reports for Fiscal 2023 should have been completed in May, 2024 but are not available.
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 #037.
    Co-owner: SCCA C-Spec Mazda 3
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Liked: 239

(8/21/24 EDIT: See the posts below with updated info - SCCA is not currently considering combining FF and FC.)

Others have alluded to this, but everyone racing FF and FC still needs to be concerned. I had a long conversation with the head of SCCA club racing while waiting on a flight to the June Sprints. Obviously the main topic of our conversation was the (then) recent announcement and first webinar. He specifically mentioned that they want to combine FF and FC.

My initial thought was that combination would be almost impossible, and the fact that they're running the separate classes together in 2025 seems to agree. I have no additional info, but can only think of bad possible outcomes as they make necessary decisions to get down to 18 total Runoffs classes for 2026.
    Last edited by cory mcleod; 08.21.24 at 9:34 AM.

Liked: 114

Quote Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag View Post
    Thanks for the tip. The audited financial reports for Fiscal 2023 should have been completed in May, 2024 but are not available.
    https://scca.zoom.us/webinar/registe...#/registration

Mike Cobb has a meeting scheduled tomorrow night and the description has he will be covering YTD Financials..... so maybe 2023 as well?
    Last edited by brian styczynski; 08.20.24 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Link didn't work

South Carolina and wherever the SCCA sends me.
    Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I had a long conversation with the head of SCCA club racing while waiting on a flight to the June Sprints.... He specifically mentioned that they want to combine FF and FC.
    I've been in the rooms during these discussions and just texted Jeff B - other than running FF/FC in a single group for Runoffs 2025, there has been zero discussion of trying to put FF and FC together into a single class.

I panicked a bit when I saw this post, reached out to confirm. His guess is when talking to you about classes in general he mentioned that the fact the FF/FC chassis rules are the same creates a larger market as compared to classes that are, "on an island." That general topic, along with combing FF/FC into a single group for the Runoffs must have created some confusion.
    Jon K - 1986 Swift DB3/Honda

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by racerjon1 View Post
    I've been in the rooms during these discussions and just texted Jeff B - other than running FF/FC in a single group for Runoffs 2025, there has been zero discussion of trying to put FF and FC together into a single class.

I panicked a bit when I saw this post, reached out to confirm. His guess is when talking to you about classes in general he mentioned that the fact the FF/FC chassis rules are the same creates a larger market as compared to classes that are, "on an island." That general topic, along with combing FF/FC into a single group for the Runoffs must have created some confusion.
    Actually, I heard that back when Nick Craw was President, he commissioned a study which recommended requiring FF cars to be modified to FC spec. That might have worked at one time, but I'm not sure some cars like the Spectrum could carry an FC engine.

The easiest cars to equalize and combine into FC would of course be the FE2 cars. But then SCCA wouldn't have a racing class monopoly. Darn that conflict of interest thing.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 217

If FF and FC have to run together from now until the end of time, so be it. So long as both classes can coexist with their own ruleset and not some bastardized combination like what is happening with P1 and P2. I will never understand why this wasn't an option for FB and P2...but I guess I'll be thankful my class in unscathed for now.
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 239

That's hopefully good news for FF and FC. Maybe it was just a fleeting idea and I don't expect him to remember the details of our conversation (he is constantly speaking to members and I only had one conversation with him), but I am 100% sure that he mentioned they were looking at combining FF and FC. It stuck in my mind so specifically because my immediate thought was, "That's pretty much impossible." Regardless, I will edit my previous post for accuracy.

Liked: 1480

Maybe I missed something, but surely whoever said this meant same run group, and not same class. An FF with a Zetec and wings is an FC. Merging the two is the same thing as eliminating FF. No one is going to convert a FF to an FC.

Merging the two classes would be the single stupidest decision in SCCA history. Worse than F4 - yeah, I went there.

This sounds like something that would come from someone who knows nothing about open wheel cars. It would be the same as combining GTL with GT1 because they are both tube frame cars, so just change engines. Easiest thing in the world.

14. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 865

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but surely whoever said this meant same run group, and not same class. An FF with a Zetec and wings is an FC. Merging the two is the same thing as eliminating FF. No one is going to convert a FF to an FC.

Merging the two classes would be the single stupidest decision in SCCA history.
    No one I've spoken with believes the scca means to combine FF and FC into one class, (the way they did P1 and P2), they will just always be on track together in the same run group. Since that includes qualifying sessions, I'll be curious to see if they grid for the race in order of times, regardless of class, or if we get split starts ...
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 388

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    No one I've spoken with believes the scca means to combine FF and FC into one class, (the way they did P1 and P2), they will just always be on track together in the same run group. Since that includes qualifying sessions, I'll be curious to see if they grid for the race in order of times, regardless of class, or if we get split starts ...
    The only way this class combination into a single race group works is with a split start.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1038

Please re-read the press release, FF and FC are not being combined other than in the same race group at the 2025 Runoffs. The cars are very compatible and hopefully, with a proper split start, enforcement of a time percentage rule, and use of the Flagtronics FCY/Code 35, there will be limited interaction between the classes during the race. The plan is 18 races and18 classes in 2026, so combined races are not anticipated beyond 2025.

None of this has been easy, there are no perfect answers. If there are ways to improve upon the decisions that have been made, then please send your ideas to https://crbscca.com/ Comments on social media and APEX don't count, sorry.

Let's get out there and enjoy our race cars, racetracks, and racing friends. Nothing will ever be perfect, it never has. There have been complaints since the day I started racing and they will be there on the day I quit - we all need to do our best to enhance the program and enjoy all of this for what it is.

And, if you are so inclined, offer up your time to join one of the Advisory Committees, SCCA is always looking for new people. Being involved will give you a new perspective on how this organization works, why decisions are made, and an appreciation for those who came before us. While it does take a commitment of time and effort, the experience is very rewarding. You can submit your "resume" to https://crbscca.com/

Regards,

John

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 338

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    If there are ways to improve upon the decisions that have been made, then please send your ideas to https://crbscca.com/
    Does this even mean anything any more? When decisions are being made before our letters are read, or without regard to them?

To wit, a concrete example: my letters # 36512/36541 (actually more or less the same letter, about exactly this issue) are sitting on the CRB agenda. They were submitted at the beginning of July, after the first announcement of the pending consolidation.

But they seem to still be stuck in the CRB while the decisions by National go ahead...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 1038

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Does this even mean anything any more? When decisions are being made before our letters are read, or without regard to them?

To wit, a concrete example: my letters # 36512/36541 (actually more or less the same letter, about exactly this issue) are sitting on the CRB agenda. They were submitted at the beginning of July, after the first announcement of the pending consolidation.

But they seem to still be stuck in the CRB while the decisions by National go ahead...
    Your two letters and 189 others are presently tabled on the CRB agenda so it would appear to the author that their letter is "stuck" at the CRB level. All of those letters that were submitted in advance of the face to face meeting were categorized, tallied, and read by each CRB member, Staff who was involved in the meetings, as well as the BoD liaisons and most likely all of the other BoD members. The letters were discussed ad nauseum in the context of the discussions and helped to guide the decision making. Letters that have since been submitted have also been reviewed and considered. Eventually the letters will be processed and responses will be provided to the authors.

23. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 338

Thank you for clarifying.

I hope we can find a better way forward out of this that doesn't leave Club Racing a shell of what it once was...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 28

Default Don't understand

I really don't understand the SCCA's approach. If the goal was to reduce the number of groups at the Runoffs to provide a better quality field, more track time and a friendlier format... I would proposed leaving the classes as they are and announce that the Runoffs would take the top 18 classes based on participation in the HSTs and Majors for that calendar year.

Wouldn't that achieve the aforementioned goals, preserve the value of our cars, and actually increase participation?

What am I missing?

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by teamfun View Post
    I really don't understand the SCCA's approach. If the goal was to reduce the number of groups at the Runoffs to provide a better quality field, more track time and a friendlier format... I would proposed leaving the classes as they are and announce that the Runoffs would take the top 18 classes based on participation in the HSTs and Majors for that calendar year.

Wouldn't that achieve the aforementioned goals, preserve the value of our cars, and actually increase participation?

What am I missing?
    That would be way too sensible...

28. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by teamfun View Post

What am I missing?
    But what if that strategy affects a class a CRB or BoD member is in, hmmm? Can't have that!
    Dean Fehribach

30. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1352

But what if that strategy affects a class a CRB or BoD member is in, hmmm? Can't have that!
    They just need to be clear and honest. Enterprises classes are exempt from all this. We know it. They know it.

Let's move on to better solutions than class elimination threats.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 781

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    They just need to be clear and honest. Enterprises classes are exempt from all this. We know it. They know it.
    He isn't talking about FE2.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Enterprises classes are successful. SRF3 and FE2 have strong numbers; they don't need the CRB or BoD on their side. In fact, Enterprises, the CRB, and the BoD have pissed me off about FE2 on several occasions.
    Dean Fehribach

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1352

Enterprises classes are successful. SRF3 and FE2 have strong numbers; they don't need the CRB or BoD on their side. In fact, Enterprises, the CRB, and the BoD have pissed me off about FE2 on several occasions.
    Again, with a lot of these classes, geography and timing make a difference.

When I went to FC in 2014 I had looked at FE and there were 2-3 cars on the grid here. 12+ FCs.
    The classes was relatively dead here until the FE2. FE2 cars usually make all the Majors races but rarely the regionals.

Let's also be clear. They killed FE, just like SRF, SRF2 and made NEW classes. They get to spec check writing

So, "current Enterprises Classes are successful" would be more accurate. FE2 and SRF3 are good classes and seem to have settled in nation wide. SRF, SRF2, FE, and ESR are all dead and gone.

Does Enterprises just make their own decisions and tell the CRB: this is now the spec?
    Do they need everything reviewed?

So, what does this tell us. Classes need to evolve to stay current? And when FC racers propose a change 99% are nixed. That 1% represents a rain light !

Does Enterprises just make their own decisions and tell the CRB: this is now the spec?
    Do they need everything reviewed?
    Unfortunately, it seems to be that way sometimes. In the rainlight debacle, the FE/2 class had an out because its class rules stated that any rain light would qualify, overriding the general formula rule set. The president of Enterprises submitted the letter to the CRB to change it even though he races SRF3, not FE2. Two months ago, he submitted a letter that the FE2 cars need FIVE Hoosier decals on the car; then last month he submitted a letter changing it to THREE. Jeez!
    Dean Fehribach

38. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information