Liked: 3855

Default Why we wear HANS devices

So... Sunday afternoon about 1 oclock I get a text from Jim Morgan (of Jim Morgan fame). It said two words, "HANS worked". Jim is not one for typing a lot, but he did send a picture of the famous Morgan Homes DB6 in a bit of disarray.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.05.24 at 10:41 PM.

Turns out Jim doesn't accept any medical attention at the track and got in his truck and drove home to Lighthouse Point from Sebring.

I was guessing it must not have been too bad. Then about 8 pm I get a text saying that his hands are swelling so much that it is causing the wounds to open more, causing bleeding that may get on the recliner his wife just bought. Then there was some text about ankles hurting, knee swollen, elbows bleeding, and his theory that the back pain may only be muscle spasms.

He was thinking he would watch football and go for help in the morning.

At that point Mrs Frog and I got on the horn and told him to get his butt to the hospital! Especially when we found out he was home alone.

There is the Irish stubborn streak... so he went to a walk-in clinic. The doctor that saw him put bandages on the bleeding and told him to go directly to the hospital.

A brief summary of his next texts:
    3 fractures of left leg
    3 fractures hands
    1 fracture of back L3
    1 Facial bone fracture
    and stiches in some places
    oh...and a brain bleed.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Jim says the data says he had slowed down to 98 when he hit the concrete wall.

And in every text he keep repeating his belief in HANS devices.

Today, in conversation he is now out of hospital and trying to work at his business. He is waiting of what surgeries will be scheduled for the hand(s). The leg is just multiple "cracks"; no surgery. Back will heal itself and isn't endangering nerves. Today's biggest complaint was the size of the bruises on his chest from the HANS... but he understands the alternative would have been worse.

Through this whole ordeal every conversation I have had with him he has been a pleasant character.

He did want safety stewards to start instructing safety crews how to undo the HANS attachments when removing the helmet. No one but him understood the concept of 'pushing in' to release, and his hands were a bit of a mess at the time. While still in the car he wanted the helmet off to be more comfortable.

Twenty years ago there was so much debate on this forum about SCCA increasing the cost of racing by possibly mandating HANS devices. Many of us adopted them earlier than mandatory. After September 25, 2005 I seemed to always be posting lectures to promote the use. Thankfully for many years there has been no need to convince folks to use them.

Thought a positive outcome story my be appropriate.

Now back to watching football.

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 148

Good outcome. Glad you convinced him to go to the doctor.

Also, I think it's OK for the safety teams to cut the HANS straps since they need replaced anyway after any significant incident.
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 #037.
    Co-owner: SCCA C-Spec Mazda 3
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Quote Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag View Post

Also, I think it's OK for the safety teams to cut the HANS straps since they need replaced anyway after any significant incident.
    Not that any additional injury is worth it but those straps are cheap and easy to replace anyway. Good to hear the safety equipment was there and did its job as intended. Hope he recovers quickly.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 953

Good luck on a fast and complete recovery Jim!!!!

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

I was there. It was behind me, but next lap around it looked ugly and a bad place to make contact. Glad Jim is getting medical attention and hope for a speedy recovery. I had an incident in June on the short course and my Hans shattered my breast plate. But it saved my neck. I don't know how it happened in Jim's incident, but there have been too many at Sebring this year and not sure what the solution is.

Bill

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 223

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Turns out Jim doesn't accept any medical attention at the track and got in his truck and drove home to Lighthouse Point from Sebring.

I was guessing it must not have been too bad. Then about 8 pm I get a text saying that his hands are swelling so much that it is causing the wounds to open more, causing bleeding that may get on the recliner his wife just bought. Then there was some text about ankles hurting, knee swollen, elbows bleeding, and his theory that the back pain may only be muscle spasms.

He was thinking he would watch football and go for help in the morning.

At that point Mrs Frog and I got on the horn and told him to get his butt to the hospital! Especially when we found out he was home alone.

There is the Irish stubborn streak... so he went to a walk-in clinic. The doctor that saw him put bandages on the bleeding and told him to go directly to the hospital.

A brief summary of his next texts:
    3 fractures of left leg
    3 fractures hands
    1 fracture of back L3
    1 Facial bone fracture
    and stiches in some places
    oh...and a brain bleed.
    Without a doubt, Jim is my kind of stupid when it comes to seeking medical attention. I'm glad he made it through OK.

I think my wreck at Road America at the 50th Anniversary of the Runoffs was 90 mph into the concrete, but I hit at 45-degree angle. Still the hardest hit I've had in my life and I got away with only herniated disc from when the car landed after getting arborne. I was glad I had my HANS on for that one.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag View Post

Small price to pay compared to death

Thread Information