Liked: 3

Wanted To Buy Lotus 61 Fuel Cell designs?

Greetings from Maine. Just getting into the refurb of a 1970 Lotus 61. Would be interested in a resource to create a fuel cell for this car. Any existing designs or photos would be welcome! Thanks. CT

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 162

Here is what I design for use in my Lotus 69 Delta. I suspect it will also work for your Lotus 61.

I ordered the cell with a blank nut plate for the fuel fill. I then bored a hole and welded the filler neck to the nut plate to work around a diagonal tube in the cockpit.

Good luck, Joe

Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Default Lotus 61 fuel cell .pdf

Quote Originally Posted by pooch776 View Post
    Here is what I design for use in my Lotus 69 Delta. I suspect it will also work for your Lotus 61.

I ordered the cell with a blank nut plate for the fuel fill. I then bored a hole and welded the filler neck to the nut plate to work around a diagonal tube in the cockpit.

Good luck, Joe
    Thanks for sharing this .pdf. I began my mock-up in 1/2" plywood, and it looks very close to your exact design! Your file confirmed some shape ideas. I am trying to gain some leg room by shortening the base / steepening the side of of the "triangle". One gallon = 231 cu.in. dictates how much I can shave, and maintaining a 4 gallon minimum doesn't allow for much shrinking of the cell. After brainstorming with a couple fab guys in my shop last evening, I've concluded I need to re-work the pedals to gain the couple inches I'm looking for. Any other thoughts or insight would be welcome. Jeez, just saw your 69 on Flickr. Damn, nice vehicle. Paint scheme is excellent.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 436

I have a copy of the original 61 tank drawings somewhere if you are interested. I have a 61 also however I run an ATL FC140 in it. Its a 4 gallon wedge tank. Let me know if you want a copy of the original and I will hunt it out.
    Graham

Default Atl fc140

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    I have a copy of the original 61 tank drawings somewhere if you are interested. I have a 61 also however I run an ATL FC140 in it. It’s a 4 gallon wedge tank. Let me know if you want a copy of the original and I will hunt it out.
    Thank you for the response! I was hoping to pick-up a bit of distance between the pedals and my arse. Would love to see the design… any chance of a picture? My plan was also to ditch the fiberglass seat and invest in a “bead” seat between me and the floor pan / tank. Does that make sense to you guys? CT

Yea that makes sense doing that. What height are you?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Yea that makes sense doing that. What height are you?
    6’-1” and shrinking….

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    6’-1” and shrinking….
    I hope I’m not kidding myself…

Yea you would be better off in a poured bead seat. Send me a DM with your email and I’ll send you some pics of the fuel cell and can I made.
    Graham

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 671

Saw this on the web:

Attached Images Attached Images
    V/r

Iverson

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 671

Joe:

Were there baffles inside?

Quote Originally Posted by pooch776 View Post

Good luck, Joe

V/r

Iverson

Liked: 162

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Joe:

Were there baffles inside?

No, just foam. It's a fuel bladder made by Pyrotect that I then enclosed in an aluminum container.

Default This photo got me thinking…

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Saw this on the web:

The Lotus 61 I have had this identical gas tank installed. Seeing “Fuel Safe” on the side got me wondering if Pyrotect would build a bladder for the existing tank? THAT would be the path of least resistance!

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information