Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Liked: 107

Default Flagtronics installation

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    Hartley,

Part of the issue is for us larger guys we have the steering wheel higher for leg clearance, and i have my shift lights where you mounted your flagtronics. If you weren't able to put it there, and your wheel was about an inch higher, where would you put it?

I started to mount my $550 dollar unit in my VD tonight. I think i found a place to put it, but it's unlikely I'll be able to press the buttons without removing the steering wheel. Now wire management, that's a whole different story.
    Sure that makes sense with the wheel mounted higher. My shift lights are in my wheel so no issue. When you are on track there is no reason to push the buttons. Once you set the ideal brightness there is no real need to access the buttons. The buttons are so small I don’t think you could push the buttons accurately with gloves on anyway.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 170

Working through similar issues to Speed Sport and CJ Jahn. Steering wheel as high as it will go and the VD front hoop limiting positions on the center of the dash behind the wheel except outside the cockpit with wires run through bodywork. I have three late model VD cars to adapt.

Thinking about mounting on the side of the cockpit so it is not blocked by hands and wheel.

1. Can the FT 200 be mounted vertically instead of horizontally?

2. The rf antenna is required to have a clear line of site which seems to contradict some of the mounting examples I have heard about for the VD.

3. The gps antenna is required to be 6” from another antenna and metal edges. Curious what defines a metal edge.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 903

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Working through similar issues to Speed Sport and CJ Jahn. Steering wheel as high as it will go and the VD front hoop limiting positions on the center of the dash behind the wheel except outside the cockpit with wires run through bodywork. I have three late model VD cars to adapt.

Thinking about mounting on the side of the cockpit so it is not blocked by hands and wheel.

1. Can the FT 200 be mounted vertically instead of horizontally?

2. The rf antenna is required to have a clear line of site which seems to contradict some of the mounting examples I have heard about for the VD.

3. The gps antenna is required to be 6” from another antenna and metal edges. Curious what defines a metal edge.

JM
    From my understanding.. the 'regular' unit can be mounted in ANY orientation, but the screen display can only be read in 'regular' or Upside down (a setting in the FT APP). For the newer, small, 3 piece version, the display should be mounted 'horizontal', but can be either 'left or right. The remote unit with the RF antenna can be mounted in any orientation, but works best if 'generally clear' of metal - like you would not want to mount it beneath your seat against the roll bar. But against the front roll hoop.. near the top, works just fine for me. Just try not to have the ANTENNA directly in contact with the roll bar or any other significant chunks of metal. The GPS antenna can be mounted 'against' metal as long as it has a 'sky look' - with nothing significant immediately over it.. Like the regular gps mapping units most of us use to get to the tracks :-). My gps's (one for CDS and one for FT) are mounted directly (with TAPE) to the front suspension towers on my FV. 1 on the driver's side and the other on passenger side. Although both of mine are outside the bodywork, I've heard of many that mount on the frame under fiberglass bodywork successfully. Thankfully, that is easy to test just outside your shop door.
    OH.. you would NOT want to mount the FT unit or the GPS right next to your RADIO antenna if the driver could transmit back to the paddock.
    Another thing.. both of my gps antennas mount to the SIDE of the suspension towers, so they are not 'flat' to the sky - but both work just fine in that orientation.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 319

"both of my gps antennas mount to the SIDE of the suspension towers"

Darn, what a good idea for FV.

Liked: 425

Just finished installing my unit in my VD. 50 zipties, some fabricated mounts and an extremely sore back later it's done. Still can't really see it, but it's the best that i can do.

Two questions,

When powering it on in the shop, it only displays "sig". Is this normal? No mention in the manual and of course no phone number to call.

Also, i don't have wifi or internet in the shop. Manual indicates laptop must be connected to internet during a firmware update. Is this true or can you download the firmware file then offline upload it?

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 94

The problem I encountered was when I tried to manually turn it off it would not power down and all I saw was SIG and Off and it never powered down.
    Flagtronics 804-915-7201
    Hope this helps,mine is unplugged till I get to the Runoff’s so they can fix it
    Tim Minor

Liked: 903

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Minor View Post
    ... I tried to manually turn it off it would not power down and all I saw was SIG and Off and it never powered down....
    To power down, you have to push and HOLD 1 or both of the front buttons for about 5+ seconds - eventually it SHOULD say 'powering down' and turn itself off.

When powering it on in the shop, it only displays "sig". Is this normal? No mention in the manual ,,,
    Also, i don't have wifi or internet in the shop. Manual indicates laptop must be connected to internet during a firmware update. Is this true or can you download the firmware file then offline upload it?
    Yes.. the SIG display is just saying that it is NOT receiving any info from the master FT. Can't imagine why they didn't put that in the manual. I'm not sure about the app, but when it comes up it ALWAYS attempts to contact 'home base' via the internet and offers to update the APP software if an update is available - that is NOT the device firmware. There is no further info available (IIRC), until the device gets plugged into the laptop using the USB cord from the main device unit (I have only the original single unit). I'm not sure when the app checks for any updated device firmware, but it's likely it doesn't check until it can read the current version from the unit. Most cell phones have a 'HOT SPOT' option. It should be easy to connect the laptop to THAT WiFi to get everything going. If you don't have a hot spot option, you COULD roll the car over to your house and get internet that way... or you could use one of the MANY options available (via Amazon, etc) to EXTEND your WiFi signal. My shop is about 1/4 mile away from my house and I was finally able to extend from my house (using 10baseT cable) to a CPE transceiver at the house to connect via WiFi with a companion CPE unit at the shop (supposedly good for MILES under the right conditions). At the shop, it's another 10baseT cable to connect from the CPE unit to another WiFi access point to provide the shop with full wifi service. Cost for everything was about $200 IIRC - I did this nearly 10 years ago and been working great since that time. It's not 'full speed' compared to my inhouse wifi, but it's good enough to watch TV in the shop .. except that I DON'T watch TV. Tried it and can't work on the car and watch TV at the same time... would never get any work done .
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 953

One would think all of this information would come in an instruction manual for a system that is ready for prime time

Liked: 3439

Half the stuff we buy nowadays only has on-line manuals, no hard copies. This will likely be online also.
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1169

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Half the stuff we buy nowadays only has on-line manuals, no hard copies. This will likely be online also.
    Since so few people RTFM anyway.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1351

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to have any printed manual with it.

The issue is simple. Products today change so fast printed documentation is out of date at ship time.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

I did receive an email back from Flagtronics regarding the powering off of the remote unit.

They confirmed the remote units do not properly shut off, even after pressing the button for 5 seconds.

The only option is to remove all power and disconnect the auxiliary battery.

I was told they will let me know when they have a solution, which implies they don't have one as of now.

Therefore, when mounting your remote units, make sure you have easy access to the plug to the auxiliary battery. Looks like it's going to be standard procedure to have to plug and unplug the battery each session.

Liked: 157

Might be handy to wire it through a switch?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 299

Did they state that you need to use an aux battery if hardwired?

Brian

Liked: 781

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Did they state that you need to use an aux battery if hardwired?

Brian
    The instructions say that the aux battery will keep the unit powered for 15 minutes after the main power is cut. It is used to locate the car when the main power is cut, either in the event of a crash or when the driver gets out in the pits or paddock. I take this to mean that both are required. The original unit can still be turned off manually with the top button.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 16

Default Fix for Power Off Issue Coming Soon.

Gang,

I'm Collie King with Flagtronics. The Power Off issue on the FT-RD Kits is a software fix and it will be ready prior to the Runoffs. Once the fix has completed testing, each owner of the FT-RD Kit will get an email with instructions on how to update to the latest Firmware (I will post those here as well). In the meantime, if you want to review the latest Product Manual, you can download it from our website: https://flagtronics.com/pages/downloads.

I'll do my best to keep up with items posted in this thread as we build up to the Runoffs. I will personally be at Road America starting on Friday, Sept. 27th. I will be setup at Tech in the Garages. Please feel free to stop by if you have any questions or just want to say hello!

Thanks,
    Collie

24. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Might be handy to wire it through a switch?
    Please avoid wiring to a switch. This can cause drivers to forget to power on the switch which could result in a penalty from SCCA. I just do want anyone changing to a switch setup when the power off issue will be resolved soon.

Liked: 338

Collie - thanks for chiming in, glad to have you hear - and I desperately wishing your stuff were deployed faster, would probably have saved me going through a second round of a protest right now for bad officiating at the July Cat Majors!!! I made sure to emphasize to BOTH SOMs that I missed my Flagtronics display...

Anyway, as I've been an early adopter (of the regular FT200 unit) and presumably have missed most of the updates released this season, is it generally a safe bet to drop in the latest firmware from your above link into my unit now, or should I be waiting for local support at RA, or...?
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Which 8-digit number is the correct number to identify the unit - I have an 8 digit number on the main antenna, and an 8 digit number on the display itself, both that begin with a 2. Which does SCCA need?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 299

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    The instructions say that the aux battery will keep the unit powered for 15 minutes after the main power is cut.
    My take on this statement is that there is no harm from the aux discharging completely. If harm to the battery was possible is would have been stated at this point in the instructions.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    Which 8-digit number is the correct number to identify the unit - I have an 8 digit number on the main antenna, and an 8 digit number on the display itself, both that begin with a 2. Which does SCCA need?
    For those of you with the FT-RD Kits, please submit to the SCCA the 8-Digit Serial Number printed on the FT-RCV Module. It's the one with the QR Code and starts with 2000. The Serial Number on the FT-RD Unit, which starts with 2100, should not be submitted to the SCCA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    My take on this statement is that there is no harm from the aux discharging completely. If harm to the battery was possible is would have been stated at this point in the instructions.

Brian
    Brian,

You are correct. The External Battery can discharge without harm. Once it gets to a low charge state, the FT Devices will display "low battery" for a few seconds then turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Collie - thanks for chiming in, glad to have you hear - and I desperately wishing your stuff were deployed faster, would probably have saved me going through a second round of a protest right now for bad officiating at the July Cat Majors!!! I made sure to emphasize to BOTH SOMs that I missed my Flagtronics display...

Anyway, as I've been an early adopter (of the regular FT200 unit) and presumably have missed most of the updates released this season, is it generally a safe bet to drop in the latest firmware from your above link into my unit now, or should I be waiting for local support at RA, or...?
    Vaughan,

We are finalizing a new and much easier process for using the Flagtronics Device Manager software to update the Firmware of both FT200 and FT-RD Devices. It will allow you so pick a "series" specific firmware for the update. As we have many customers that race in multiple series like Trans Am, ChampCar, WRL, SCCA, etc. this will allow drivers and teams to update to the proper "series" firmware before such events. This will be ready for public release in a few days and I will post about it on this thread. SCCA will also email all registered Runoffs teams/drivers when the new process is ready.

Thanks,
    Collie

32. The following 6 users liked this post:

I’m going to say this again.This is Not a well planned idea by Flagtronics or Scca.I am going to show up at the Runoff’s,the biggest race of the year with an untested product that the Company has limited information on and they have provided nothing in the way of support.I have it installed in my car and was told by Flagtronics engineering to disconnect the battery so not to drain the system and there were No clear instructions from them or the Club about which number to put in for registration. I hope they’re will be someone there to Help straighten out this situation for all the people who have installed these systems.Will Flagtronics be available at the Runoff’s for support.I hope so ???
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

34. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Minor View Post
    I’m going to say this again.This is Not a well planned idea by Flagtronics or Scca.I am going to show up at the Runoff’s,the biggest race of the year with an untested product that the Company has limited information on and they have provided nothing in the way of support.I have it installed in my car and was told by Flagtronics engineering to disconnect the battery so not to drain the system and there were No clear instructions from them or the Club about which number to put in for registration. I hope they’re will be someone there to Help straighten out this situation for all the people who have installed these systems.Will Flagtronics be available at the Runoff’s for support.I hope so ???
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim,

I rarely engage in online discussions of this type, but I feel compelled to address your concerns about the Flagtronics program, which was announced over 14 months ago as a partnership between the SCCA and Flagtronics to improve safety. I personally emailed you on July 29th to offer my support and included my cell phone number for you to call if needed. Additionally, a printed product manual that covers the installation details was included in your FT-RD Kit.

While I understand your frustrations, I want to clarify that we have made every effort to provide information and support. Although specific guidance on which serial number to use for registration was not initially included in the manual, I addressed that question in a previous post earlier today in this thread. Flagtronics is committed to ensuring all users are supported, and we will have support available at the Runoffs.

I will personally be attending the Runoffs starting Friday, September 27, and will be set up at Tech in the RA Garages. I encourage you and anyone else with questions or issues to come by, and I will be happy to assist.

Best regards,
    Collie

36. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcollieking3 View Post
    Tim,

I rarely engage in online discussions of this type, but I feel compelled to address your concerns about the Flagtronics program, which was announced over 14 months ago as a partnership between the SCCA and Flagtronics to improve safety. I personally emailed you on July 29th to offer my support and included my cell phone number for you to call if needed. Additionally, a printed product manual that covers the installation details was included in your FT-RD Kit.

While I understand your frustrations, I want to clarify that we have made every effort to provide information and support. Although specific guidance on which serial number to use for registration was not initially included in the manual, I addressed that question in a previous post earlier today in this thread. Flagtronics is committed to ensuring all users are supported, and we will have support available at the Runoffs.

I will personally be attending the Runoffs starting Friday, September 27, and will be set up at Tech in the RA Garages. I encourage you and anyone else with questions or issues to come by, and I will be happy to assist.

Best regards,
    Collie
    Collie
    I appreciate you answering mine and many others questions about this topic.
    I look forward to getting this sorted out and I will see you on the 27th at the Runoff’s
    TimMinorFc88
    Tim Minor

38. The following members LIKED this post:

I certainly hope it is sorted out soon.

A program launched 14 months ago should be plug and play by this time.

The FIA rain light was a plug and play. Buy it mount it and you are good to go

I have repeatedly e mailed Flagtronice Customer support with two simple questions:
    What is the POWER draw for the remote display unit. It took 2 tries to finally get a complete answer. The first answer was 12v or 5v usb.

The second question was what provisions for mounting the remote display exist ( thru holes in the box to bolt it in place, tapped holes or what) never did get a response to that one

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 671

Just say’in

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Steve, I was thinking the exact same thing. Reduce the lateral dimensions by eliminating the mounting feet, and provide a pair of 8-32 or 10-32 holes on both sides, top and bottom, and back.
    V/r

Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Steve, I was thinking the exact same thing. Reduce the lateral dimensions by eliminating the mounting feet, and provide a pair of 8-32 or 10-32 holes on both sides, top and bottom, and back.
    Rick, are you referring to the FT200 device or the new FT-RD device?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I certainly hope it is sorted out soon.

A program launched 14 months ago should be plug and play by this time.

The FIA rain light was a plug and play. Buy it mount it and you are good to go

I have repeatedly e mailed Flagtronice Customer support with two simple questions:
    What is the POWER draw for the remote display unit. It took 2 tries to finally get a complete answer. The first answer was 12v or 5v usb.

The second question was what provisions for mounting the remote display exist ( thru holes in the box to bolt it in place, tapped holes or what) never did get a response to that one
    Thank you for your feedback and apologies for the delay.

The recent firmware update for the SCCA is specifically to accommodate the purple Code 45, which is unique compared to Code 35 or Code 60 used by other customers. The newly deployed updating process will be posted in this forum later today for all Runoffs Participants. It will be emailed to all Runoffs Participants next week and posted in other groups elsewhere, like Facebook, so please spread the word when you see the posting.

Regarding power requirements, you are correct, the both of our In-Car Devices can be powered by either the 12V flying leads or a 10W (5V x 2A) USB.

Could you please clarify if you’re asking about the FT200 or FT-RD model for specific mounting options?

Lastly, here is a copy of our latest Product Manual. This may help answer some of your questions as well. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rfn...ew?usp=sharing

Best Regards,
    Collie

Post Flagtronics Firmware Update for all 2024 Runoffs Teams/Cars

Hello everyone,

As promised, Flagtronics has now completed the new process for updating Organization Specific Firmware on our FT200 In-Car Devices. (Instructions for updating FT-RD Devices will be provided at a later date.)

This firmware update is required for all vehicles participating in the 2024 SCCA Runoffs at Road America. The update is designed to support the use of the purple Code 45 by the SCCA at this event. The process is simple and should take less than 15 minutes to complete. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to respond to this post.

Updating FT200 Firmware Guide Link

We will be sending this guide to all 2024 Runoffs registrants via email next week and sharing it on other platforms, such as Facebook. Please feel free to share this link with others who may be attending.

Best Regards,
    Collie

Raw Link to Firmware Guide: https://scribehow.com/shared/Updatin...S2ayuCgfedlPzQ
    Last edited by rcollieking3; 09.06.24 at 2:00 PM.

44. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 781

Regarding power requirements, you are correct, the both of our In-Car Devices can be powered by either the 12V flying leads or a 10W (5V x 2A) USB.
    Collie,
    The installation instructions say to wire the flying lead to a fused 12v circuit. What size fuse should be installed?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Collie,
    The installation instructions say to wire the flying lead to a fused 12v circuit. What size fuse should be installed?
    3 Amp fuse is plenty.

47. The following members LIKED this post:

I am referring to the model with the separate small display.

I am referring to the model with the separate small display.
    Steve, do you already have one in your possession? We recommend, as covered in the Product Manual, to flat mount using double-sided VHB tape. Some have mounted directly to dash or center console while others have fashioned a metal plate to provide additional room for mounting.

No I do not have one. I am not going to spend $500+ on something that is still under development.

Use double sided tape???? That is for jury rigging, not mounting an expensive items such as this.

I have extensive experience with it. In a former life my company was 3M's largest customer their acrylic foam tape, used to secure body side moldings and on the other trim pieces to automobiles.

The first thing one does to make it stick to plastic is to apply a solvent based adhesion promoter to "energize" the low energy surface of most plastics.

I could go initio a ;long talk on this, suffice it to say that no ad pro no stick.

Apply solvent based coating to the FG????

No I do not have one. I am not going to spend $500+ on something that is still under development.

Use double sided tape???? That is for jury rigging, not mounting an expensive items such as this.

I have extensive experience with it. In a former life my company was 3M's largest customer their acrylic foam tape, used to secure body side moldings and on the other trim pieces to automobiles.

The first thing one does to make it stick to plastic is to apply a solvent based adhesion promoter to "energize" the low energy surface of most plastics.

I could go initio a ;long talk on this, suffice it to say that no ad pro no stick.

Steve,

Will you please give me a call tomorrow? This back and forth messaging isn’t productive. My mobile number is (502) 314-5453.

Thanks,
    Collie

Steve,

Will you please give me a call tomorrow? This back and forth messaging isn’t productive. My mobile number is (502) 314-5453.

Thanks,
    Collie
    Steve, Thanks for reaching out to me today. I enjoyed our conversation and feel we made some good progress. I look forward to seeing the setup of your race car to help with a creative solution on mounting a FT-RD Device.

Also, I would like to thank Tim Minor for calling me today. It was great to speak with you and I look forward to meeting in person at Road America later this month.

Regards,
    Collie

Contributing Member
    Liked: 117

I've spent a lot of time at some of the lines that made that tape and done other adhesive work. You can Corona treat a number of ways besides chemical and for something like mounting the Flagtronics units, I would not be worried about using untreated surfaces with VHB at all. I've seen them ok in that mounting on very hot dashes for years.

54. The following 3 users liked this post:

Post In-Car Device Installation Examples

Hi all,

We have added a page to our website with 15+ examples of Flagtronics In-Car Device Installations. I have had a few people ask so this should be a good resource. You can email me your install pictures and I'll do my best to add them to the Installation Examples page: https://flagtronics.com/pages/installation-examples

Regards,
    Collie

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information