Thread: oil leaking

Banned
    Liked: 0

Default oil leaking

Looks like I need a new pan gasket, oil leaking in several places. I have not investigated it yet, but if I take off the skid pan will I be able to get at and remove the pan or at least replace the gasket? Has anyone cut their skid plate to take off just the part under the motor?

Liked: 973

Before you start doing surgery, try to identify the source of the leak. Get a spray bottle, fill with water and a little dish soap. Regulate a compressed air source down to about 1 PSIG and pressure the air into the crankcase vent to the catch can. The leak sources should produce bubbles.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 865

Quote Originally Posted by coleking View Post
    Looks like I need a new pan gasket, oil leaking in several places. I have not investigated it yet, but if I take off the skid pan will I be able to get at and remove the pan or at least replace the gasket? Has anyone cut their skid plate to take off just the part under the motor?
    which engine in what chassis for a start?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 299

Does it really matter that you have a small oil leak? Could you not put some absorbent material under it.

Brian

Liked: 1941

One off-beat thing to check is the fuel pump gasket. Had the mounting ears on one bend once, allowing the center not actually touch the gasket ( never could figure out how that happened!), and had to file the gasket a bit to get it to seal. It took quite a while before we were able to figure that one out!

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 973

My recommendation for a bubble test with air applies to a FF Kent. One notable leak point is the mechanical tachometer drive if you have one.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information