Liked: 2

Default RF02 Van Diemen Throttle Pedal Stuck to floor

Hi all,

This past weekend I was at the Daytona Double. Unbeknownst to me, on the cooldown lap some spectators caught smoke coming from the back of the vehicle (haven't had time to look into the source, whether it be from the exhaust or engine itself). Approaching the bus stop, I was unable to downshift the car and quickly realized the car had shut off. Tried to refire, and the engine wouldn't turn over. Soon after coming to a stop i found myself searching for the throttle pedal in the footwell to eventually realize the throttle pedal was completely stuck to the floor.

In the time it took the marshals to come to my car, the pedal slowly started returning forward, but in a "mushy" way, as when I would try to press on the pedal it would still stick to the floor, and slowly return to the normal position after a few seconds.

We again tried the throttle pedal back in the garage only for it to be appearing relatively normal, but then would occasionally get stuck again. This time, it would return to the normal position at full speed, rather than slowly/ "mushy".

Any ideas about this? New throttle return spring? Or more serious underlying issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated, will give more detail if necessary. Thanks!

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 2015

Sounds like you melted the throttle cable.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 781

My first thought is a failed or failing throttle cable, either worn or possibly melted inner housing. Disconnect both ends and see if it moves smoothly by hand throughout the full range. While it's disconnected you can also feel the pedal through its full motion and actuate the throttle body by hand to help narrow it down.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Sounds like you melted the throttle cable.
    Don’t believe so. We’re not using the standard ones that are replaced in the car. It’s an aircraft grade steel rod like from Aircraft Spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    My first thought is a failed or failing throttle cable, either worn or possibly melted inner housing. Disconnect both ends and see if it moves smoothly by hand throughout the full range. While it's disconnected you can also feel the pedal through its full motion and actuate the throttle body by hand to help narrow it down.
    Please see above. Not sure/don’t think it’s the cable as we are not using the flimsy Primus Racing standard ones for the F2000s, we have one made from Aircraft steel. It’s extremely robust compared to the “stock” throttle cable. That’s why it’s such a mystery to us

Liked: 781

It's not the cable that melts, it's the lining of the housing that melts. If you disconnect it at both ends you can isolate the only components that could cause this problem.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

8. The following members LIKED this post:

It's not the cable that melts, it's the lining of the housing that melts. If you disconnect it at both ends you can isolate the only components that could cause this problem.
    I will give it a look. Thank you!

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

Default throttle

You probably had the ground fail and the throttle cable becomes the path of least resistance and melts the lining.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3467

Quote Originally Posted by JC86 View Post
    I will give it a look. Thank you!
    I've had some push-pull cables melt and freeze the swaybar adjustment. There are high-temp cables available. I get mine from "Control Cables."

https://www.controlcables.com/
    Dave Weitzenhof

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3857

Zetec or Pinto?

Did you find source of smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I've had some push-pull cables melt and freeze the swaybar adjustment. There are high-temp cables available. I get mine from "Control Cables."

https://www.controlcables.com/
    Interesting, I'll look at this site. That is the main thing that I believe most people here are under the assumption we are using a standard woven cable, when it is the aircraft push pull control type cable. Still scratching my head

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Zetec or Pinto?

Zetec engine, and not yet. Swamped with so much footage i have yet to go through - but I am assuming the throttle pedal getting stuck and the ignition turning off are not related and just happened at the same time by coincidence. If you have any ideas let me know!

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 2015

Quote Originally Posted by JC86 View Post
    Don’t believe so. We’re not using the standard ones that are replaced in the car. It’s an aircraft grade steel rod like from Aircraft Spruce.
    The push/pull cables have a nylon inner sheath just the same as a multi strand cables. They need to be protected from heat sources all the same.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Zetec or Pinto?

Pretty sure it was a blown head gasket. Going to pull the head in the next few weeks. Ironically, he did the fastest lap in class around that time that it was smoking. Also beat his old mans time by almost 2 sec.

Thread Information