Liked: 1488

Default Kephos alternative than Keco Coatings?

Does anyone know an alternative supplier for Kehpos other than Keco Coatings? I sent a car set of suspension and a bellhousing to them and they lost a bell crank, two arms, and a push rod. What did come back was only partially painted with numerous thin spots where you can see straight through to the metal. They didn't bother to bubble wrap some parts so they just banged around loose in the ridiculously huge box and dented up other parts. The bellhousing came back with some nice dents and chips, post coating, but those were free. Basically, they sent back a box full of junk parts. Also, took a month when they quoted 5 days.

Is Kephos proprietary to Keco or is there a generic name for it? A Google search didn't show anyone else who does it.

Contributing Member lmpdesigner's Avatar
    Liked: 37

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Does anyone know an alternative supplier for Kehpos other than Keco Coatings? I sent a car set of suspension and a bellhousing to them and they lost a bell crank, two arms, and a push rod. What did come back was only partially painted with numerous thin spots where you can see straight through to the metal. They didn't bother to bubble wrap some parts so they just banged around loose in the ridiculously huge box and dented up other parts. The bellhousing came back with some nice dents and chips, post coating, but those were free. Basically, they sent back a box full of junk parts. Also, took a month when they quoted 5 days.

Is Kephos proprietary to Keco or is there a generic name for it? A Google search didn't show anyone else who does it.
    Use Fosgard 109 instead. Google it.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lmpdesigner View Post
    Use Fosgard 109 instead. Google it.
    Do you know of a US supplier? Looks like all the places that spray this are in Europe.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 2015

Treadway did the suspension and exhaust system himself on his Lola S2. Both came out great and stood up extremely well for the two years he ran the car.

https://www.cerakote.com/
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 20

I have also had good results with Cerakote.They offer a low temperature coating that I chose to use on a gearbox casing.Finish is very similar to Kephos in appearance .Time will tell on durability.This was a good solution for me as I didn’t want to risk sending a unobtanium gearbox across country. I worked with a local Cerakote company who were extremely careful.Just be sensitive to the fact that the prep needs to be done correctly to ensure the durability of the finish.

Graham
    Graham

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 677

Gents:

Paul Rieffle at Rsport has been doing my suspension pieces in Duracoat. As I understand, it is a MILSPEC grade weapons coating. When the substrate is prepared properly, it is drop dead gorgeous, and tough as nails.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 1944

One of out customers had his oil tank/bellhousing coated many years ago by Keco, and as soon as the oil hit it, it started to peel off. Have never used them since.

I called Cerakote. They recommended a product called Elite Series Blackout E-100. It is a two part, oven cured product with an 9H hardness and highly chemical resistant. Sounds just like Kephos, or at least comparable to it.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerako...E-100/blackout

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member lmpdesigner's Avatar
    Liked: 37

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Do you know of a US supplier? Looks like all the places that spray this are in Europe.
    I just buy it and spray it myself

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Credit where credit is due:

After a talk with Keco, they made the situation right without any fight at all (which I was expecting). So while the process was a massive fail, they showed they cared about the problems. It seems this was a rare issue and it just happened to be my parts. I'd give them a second chance.

16. The following 6 users liked this post:

Thread Information