Liked: 4

Default Club Ford gearing

I'm looking for Hewland gearing recommendations for a potential Club Ford. I realize it is track dependent. Just looking for some typical gearing that is used. Maybe a fast track set and a slower track set?

Thanks.

Rob S.
    Nederland, TX

Liked: 1133

Sorry Rob, but it's not that simple. There are some fast tracks (long straights) with slow corners, and slow tracks with nothing but relatively fast corners. Get one of the many available spreadsheets (PM me if you want my favorite) that let you choose the best ratio for the slowest corner and the best one for the fastest straight, then interpolate your second and third gears. Or consult the "What Gear.." thread on ApexSpeed.

The other choice is to put in a huge gap between a very short first and a very tall 4th. Then you never have to change but you'll almost always be a little frustrated.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 23

Default gearing

A place to start is to determine the local track at which you will first race the car. Are you likely to race there again because it is close?
    If yes, go to the next race there and find out what gears the FF people are suggesting are best for that track. Then, cross reference that with the qualifying grid sheet. If you are just starting out, the suggestion of a pro level FF driver might result in gearing that is a little too high for your skill level/experience/car capability.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 864

Default Gearing

I agree 100% with TimH.

I also understand that you may want to get a range. My suggestion adds on to Tims, but you'll have to do your own research regarding what you think will work. Look at the organization/Region you're most likely to run with, see what tracks they go to the most, then get the optimum gears for those tracks. Sometimes there is overlap but not a lot. Here's a link to the thread Tim mentioned for FF:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ck-quot-Thread

I have a friend that had a "general" gear set in his Vintage FF and did not like changing gears so he left them. After a lot of ribbing/cajoling, I finally got him to change gears at Barber and he was immediately 2 seconds faster than before! He's an experienced driver so that gained time was all due to gearing.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 4

Default Club Ford Gearing

Maybe I should have included a bit more info. I'm restoring a Lola T540, and will be selling the car when it is complete. I have no idea where the car will end up, or be raced. I would like to put a set of gears in the car, thus my question on a general set of gears.

Rob S.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1926

Quote Originally Posted by r33rob View Post
    Maybe I should have included a bit more info. I'm restoring a Lola T540, and will be selling the car when it is complete. I have no idea where the car will end up, or be raced. I would like to put a set of gears in the car, thus my question on a general set of gears.

Rob S.
    What ring and pinion is in the car?
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 869

Quote Originally Posted by r33rob View Post

Rob S.
    Put the car up for sale and list 'single set of gears - select the set you want installed'. OR .. pick a track and install the gearset for THAT TRACK and say so in the ad.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

8. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 160

Using Hoosier VFF tires and a 9:31 Ring & pinion, I often run two basic sets of gears. My "long" set is 19:31, 22/30, 24:28 and 25:26 and my "short" set is 19:32, 21:30, 23:28 and 25:27 (or 24:26).

I find that some tracks (like Lime Rock) require specific gears and on other tracks I will occasionally go up or down a gear for first but these are my go to gears for most tracks on the East Coast.

YMMV, Joe

Thread Information