Liked: 156

Default Happy Father's day

Happy Father's day!

Many of us got started in this hobby as a result of a cool father. If you have a cool story please share it on this thread. I'll start:

22 years ago, we took an SCCA driver’s school together in rented cars. We just wanted to complete the school, not run hard, and get our licenses. Well, on Father's day for the race, dad was lined up 2 spots behind me. As we left the grid, I sensed the pre-race talk of 'let's take it easy and just finish high enough to get signed off' was out the window. Dad pounced when the green flag fell and the race was on! I immediately started putting cars between us. Coming out of hog pen, dad really sent it and the GTV he was driving drove past the 124 to win by about 5 feet at the stripe. Dad had staked his territory and we had our licenses! Definitely a memorable Father's day for both of us (even though I wasn't a father then, I appreciate that memory more each year that passed).

Cheers,
    Scott

2. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 132

My Father was the son of an immigrant store owner in north west Iowa. He and his Brother exhibited an interest in mechanical things at an early age and both later obtained Mechanical Engineering degrees from Iowa State. Upon graduation they became interested in sports cars and ran their first local event in April of 1953 in a MG TD (in what would presently be considered rally cross). They were very active in flagging airport courses in the mid 50's. My Father shared an FP Porsche 356 in 1959 but decided he had other priorities in the club and met my Mother around the same time My Uncle moved to Milwaukee and was very active in that region for many years.

Their interest in vehicles and racing was passed down to their children and this year marks our 72nd season of family participation.

This past weekend I was assisting my cousin Sanford while he was racing and winning at the Blackhawk Farms VSCDA races.
    We miss our Fathers very much but know they would take pride in our activities and we hope we still have many more races in our future.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

4. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 638

When he lived there, Decades ago, Dad raced ON THE BEACH at Daytona..........there are now 4 decades of Hallocks who have raced one thing or another one place or another. His 5 year old great-grandson has our all too common bug now as well.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information