Liked: 66

Default Road American and camping?

Learn me some Rd America… Opportunity came up to get in on crew list for June Sprints. I never been to Rd America but it turns out it is closer to me than Sebring. 30 plus years in SCCA and never knew. Must be that aversion to gong through Chicago... Also, folks I’m crewing for are not bringing their RV trailer and sounds like the rooms rented are full up. No problem, I will bring my camping gear. My hammocks are dang comfy. Then I made the mistake?? Of reading the sups and the web page. WTF? Convoluted much?? Compared to every other track I’ve been to, I’m left wanting to file a protest for “a non-welcoming environment!” because it’s in the sups that a welcoming environment will be provided. I do remember folks grumbling about some aspects of going there but loved the on track time. hhmmm...

So, is the camping thing something easy to solve late at registration on a Thursday evening?

Liked: 1126

I'll just say that if you can do it you won't regret it.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I'll just say that if you can do it you won't regret it.
    the spending of unknown $$ at Rd Am which even at it's worst is better than the $75/night dry camping across the street?

Which, honestly, I can agree. I can get that motel rate with the SCCA discount code given enough advance notice.. damn you last minute "this could be fun!" lol

Liked: 78

So, is the camping thing something easy to solve late at registration on a Thursday evening?[/QUOTE

https://www.roadamerica.com/camping

Contributing Member
    Liked: 294

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    So, is the camping thing something easy to solve late at registration on a Thursday evening?
    RA does have formal campsite system, this is why the paddock camping restrictions. SCCA would not have anything to do with the RA campsite system. The RA facilities are probably the best of any US race track, the Glenn a close second.

If you want to keep it simple, find a race car trailer to sleep in. The track is really looking for tents, etc. Stay out of plain site and you will be fine.

Brian

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 862

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    If you want to keep it simple, find a race car trailer to sleep in. The track is really looking for tents, etc. Stay out of plain site and you will be fine.

Brian
    OR.. just ask someone with an enclosed paddock area. Should be plenty of room for a sleeping bag in most of them .. maybe even the guy you're crewing for?
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

8. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    OR.. just ask someone with an enclosed paddock area. Should be plenty of room for a sleeping bag in most of them .. maybe even the guy you're crewing for?
    Steve
    Sleeping in the trailer is on the possibility list. However, a few years back at Mid O, track staff would go around knock on trailer doors, try to open the trailers and anyone found received a lot of aggravation since the usual car trailer isn't classified as an RV. The lock bar not being set and locked being a tell someone might be inside. Is Rd Am. that level of serious business? Or a little more chill about folks in not exactly an RV?

At Daytona years ago, the armed security guard doing the sweep at closing time told a racer working on his car to make it for the race, "Put the wrench down, it will be there in the morning. You need to leave now." Sure enough, in the morning the wrench was exactly where he put it.

Liked: 105

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    Sleeping in the trailer is on the possibility list. However, a few years back at Mid O, track staff would go around knock on trailer doors, try to open the trailers and anyone found received a lot of aggravation since the usual car trailer isn't classified as an RV. The lock bar not being set and locked being a tell someone might be inside. Is Rd Am. that level of serious business? Or a little more chill about folks in not exactly an RV?

At Daytona years ago, the armed security guard doing the sweep at closing time told a racer working on his car to make it for the race, "Put the wrench down, it will be there in the morning. You need to leave now." Sure enough, in the morning the wrench was exactly where he put it.
    I have had no problems sleeping in trailer the last several years. They do have plenty of camp sites, and more overflow camp sites if needed. But it will cost you. Facilities are great for sleeping at track.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 33

Part of the reason for this is Sprints is a spectator event and spectator camping.

It is often light for this event. Tent camping is only $70 for the weekend and then there are RV spots and even the mini cabins (always wanted to try one).

Also for those who haven't heard Lynn St James is our Grand Marshal and should also be speaking at the all participants dinner on Saturday night.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Liked: 302

....the Glenn a close second.
    Did you mean "the GLEN" (one N)?
    'Cause I don't allow camping at our place.
    Glenn (unless you're buying...)

Thread Information