Liked: 259

Default late model Van Diemen video camera installation ??

looking for opinions (based on experience) on where AND how to mount an AiM SmartyCam GP HD rev 2.2 bullet cam on a late model Van Diemen. slowly but surely my RF-00 basket case is approaching the point a video camera will need to be installed and surprisingly I can find very few pictures here at ApexSpeed............ since it's a FFord, there's no concern about wake impingement on a rear wing. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1354

Clamped on the roll bar.

Attachment 103144

I'll have to lookup where the mount was from - I don't think it was a standard AIM mount.
    Maybe something Dave Ferguson has.

Paul-

thanks, a good idea to start with. what have you seen you like without a "clamp"; I'm allergic to clamps particularly when it comes to alignment!!

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 692

The DB-1 has a recess behind the peak of the roll bar that allows attachment to relatively stable bodywork, This eliminated a lot of vibration issues from mounting on the roll bar itself. I don't know if this helps, but if you need pics, let me know. BTW; I love the view from there. You can see the dash, the tach, my shifts, both sides, etc. Side mounts invariably block one side's view to some degree.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Jim-

thanks for your post! if you have one, a picture would help. the view you describe sounds approaching perfect...

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Can't seem to find one tonight. I'll shoot a new one tomorrow and get it posted.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Default my camera mount

This is my camera mount. I can get a picture of it on the car, if needed, but it will be late tonight.

Hope it helps.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Jim-

thanks!!

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 307

Here is the direction I'm am headed with my VD-based P2. The roll bar is tapped for set screws. I didn't want to use the top, since I lift the car from that point. I've worked on a car where everytime we wanted to lift it we had to remove the camera...

Attached Images Attached Images
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

11. The following members LIKED this post:

David-

thanks for your input. outstanding point about lifting !!

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Here is the direction I'm am headed with my VD-based P2. The roll bar is tapped for set screws. I didn't want to use the top, since I lift the car from that point. I've worked on a car where everytime we wanted to lift it we had to remove the camera...
    Yeah - that's the part I don't like.

I did drill a small 1/16 hold in the bracket and the roll bar and use a drill bit to align the pieces when clamping down.

So, the camera stays in the trailer and gets put on when I load up. Yes, still looking for a better way, but that's how I deal with that issue.

Only been on the hook once with this car. I disconnected the camera wire. Yes, they push the camera out of alignment but didn't harm it.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 170

Default VD camera mount

I don't use the top of the hoop - not a way to quickly get it moved when being flat towed or lifted. Corner workers don't seem to want to stop and take it all off before flat towing - go figure.

I have gone to a simple go-pro tri-pod mount with the standard threaded camera mount attachment that slips into the mount. There are a ton available - they are cheap - find the one you like the best - they are not as solid but that seems to actually help the video quality - you do have to treat them as disposable.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripod-Adapte...37138020&psc=1

Then I use:

https://shop.veracitydata.com/collec...camera-bracket

Feel free to look at my Youtube videos - all of the recent ones are older smarty-cams with this mount system.

https://youtu.be/jqk2WJr3rI4

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Jay-

interesting gadget! what goes between it and the car? do you have a picture of the installation on the car?

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

ps: great video from Road America!!

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 170

Default GoPro to Aim Smarty Cam Mount

The standard Go Pro Mount has two sided tape on it and it is just stuck to the roll hoop at the appropriate angle. The camera is mounted using the Veracity supplied holder and the adapter between the two is the tri-pod mount that fits into the go pro base.

Hope that makes it a little clearer. Nice, neat, compact and light weight. If you want to add security put a piece of safety wire around it and through a tiny hole in the tin area of the roll hoop. In my case the safety wire is actually used as a simple stabilizer to maintain the desired focus angle.

The nice thing about it is you can easily have a mount stuck in multiple places and just unsnap the top portion to move from side to side with no tools.

Hope that helps and good luck!

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Jay-

thanks, much clearer!!

Art Smith
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Paul / Jim-

do either of you have in car video from your center line camera positions that a YouTube link can be provided to?? I'm interested in comparing your camera's "view" to Jay's side mount camera's "view". clearly there's lifting/tow implications (as pointed out by David) associated with center line camera installation/view. keeping in mind everything is a "trade" when dealing with an engineer, I'm wondering for my situation (everyone's is different) if there's sufficient value in the center line view to balance out the operational risk associated with a center line camera installation...........................

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Here's one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGMl9Gykw5k

One thing that is interesting is the requirement of a camera in many regions.
    I suspect there will be a requirement for forward and rear facing cameras soon.

Incidentally, AIM is releasing a series of new camera systems. One of which has 2 cameras.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Paul-

thanks, a huge help!! it was interesting to see ButtonWillow from the perspective of a FC car versus a FFord. appreciate the heads-up on a new camera from AiM on the way.

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 977

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Here's one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGMl9Gykw5k

One thing that is interesting is the requirement of a camera in many regions.
    I suspect there will be a requirement for forward and rear facing cameras soon.

Incidentally, AIM is releasing a series of new camera systems. One of which has 2 cameras.
    San Francisco Region mandated forward facing video 2 years ago. It has been a huge help with investigating incidents, reducing both incidents and driver appeals after referrals from the tech stewards. Unfortunately I had to review the behavior of one driver in three separate incidents in one weekend. The video from both the cars involved plus a car behind was an enormous help for the SOM. The young driver who was very quick discovered the karting tactics he was using were not allowed. We had no issues with his driving for the rest of the season.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    San Francisco Region mandated forward facing video 2 years ago.
    I totally agree with it. I would even agree with requiring rear facing as well. Invaluable.
    I've been running a camera for 6 years. Was GoPro now AIM.

For those that complain about another cost, you can get one of these motorcycle 'vcr' devices with 2 camera for $100.
    Even though the video quality is...eeehhh - they are still effective.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    This is my camera mount. I can get a picture of it on the car, if needed, but it will be late tonight.

Hope it helps.
    BTW: This is mounted behind the bar, and comes off with the tail section of the body. I don't remove the camera mount in the shop, but a pick up on track may be problematic on other cars I guess. Having recently checked that out on mine, it wasn't an issue.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    This is my camera mount. I can get a picture of it on the car, if needed, but it will be late tonight.<br>
    <br>
    Hope it helps.
    <br><br>BTW: This is mounted behind the bar, and comes off with the tail section of the body. I don't remove the camera mount in the shop, but a pick up on track may be problematic on other cars I guess. Having recently checked that out on mine, it wasn't an issue.<br>
    <br>
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 110

Does anyone have any details? Hopefully it is a SmartyCam style thing with better resolution and maybe some stabilisation.

Having said that, The GoPro Hero 10 has its 4th gen image stabilising software and it is amazing.

So far only the SmartyCam 3 Sport has been released. We got our first one yesterday.

Here is Aim's product page on their website:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/us/pro...port/index.htm

Here is a video with technical details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUi0kOp6gI
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

31. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 110

Thanks David.

It looks like the new Club camera is similar to the 2.2HD in features but about $400 cheaper. Great.

Is there any 'prerelease' rumours of an upgraded 2.2? The twin camera rumours, higher definition, stabilisation, more fps etc etc?

If they did twin cameras at 60fps or 4K, they would sell like hot cakes.

Mark

Take a look at the video. Frabrizio goes through a bunch of tech stuff.

If you aren't following the AIM webinars you are missing some good stuff (only 4am for you Mark!)

AIM has really made strides with there newer products and software. Almost too much data!

The SC GP HD v2.2 had a built-in ECU bridge. This allowed creating custom CAN protocols so it could receive various channels (including lap timing, and GPS info) from a non-AIM system, like MoTeC.

The SC3 Sport will replace the Unibody SmartyCAM HD, not the GP v2.2. There will be a SC3 GP but if you watched the video, you will understand why they limit it to 1920 x 1080, but I believe it will do 60 frames/sec vs. the 30 frames/sec of the SC3 Sport. I am not sure of the specs/features for the dual camera model.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Thread Information