Liked: 0

Default Any cars similar to this in the states?

Been lurking for awhile here, and finally decided to make a post because I'm trying to decide what car to buy when I came across this open-wheeler in Italy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jradS2Qw1BE&t=6s

Is there anything like this in the States? The closest I could find was the FE2, which is roughly double the cost new, but is faster, and probably has similar running costs.

Thanks!

Liked: 14

Looks more like a F500 to me

Liked: 1156

Default Fantastico!

Closest I can think of here is F600.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1427

What do you want to achieve in racing? Are you looking for a fun weekend play thing or do you want to explore you talents with a car and maybe go beyond entry level? Do you get any satisfaction from working on a car? Or do you want a minimum effort input to get you kicks?

My first car cost less than 2 months pay. I got an open trailer to go with it, added a trailer hitch to my street car and I started racing. You can get into racing in this country for the same numbers, if you want to work. And if you are willing to drive a bit, you can race almost every weekend. I had to save every other weekend to work on my car but I raced a lot and I was based in NYC. My first car was a Formula Vee. And it would still be my first choice if I was going to start one of my children in racing.

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    What do you want to achieve in racing? Are you looking for a fun weekend play thing or do you want to explore you talents with a car and maybe go beyond entry level? Do you get any satisfaction from working on a car? Or do you want a minimum effort input to get you kicks?

My first car cost less than 2 months pay. I got an open trailer to go with it, added a trailer hitch to my street car and I started racing. You can get into racing in this country for the same numbers, if you want to work. And if you are willing to drive a bit, you can race almost every weekend. I had to save every other weekend to work on my car but I raced a lot and I was based in NYC. My first car was a Formula Vee. And it would still be my first choice if I was going to start one of my children in racing.
    Just to have fun and race. I could see myself moving beyond entry level into faster cars to a certain financial point though. I'm kinda on the fence about wrenching on the car, so I guess you could say I'd do it if I had to, but would prefer not to. I think I'd prefer a spec series, and would be comfortable spending around $1500-$2000 a race weekend or so. There are just so many different cars, series, organizations -- it's kinda overwhelming haha

Quote Originally Posted by OpusX View Post
    Just to have fun and race. I could see myself moving beyond entry level into faster cars to a certain financial point though. I'm kinda on the fence about wrenching on the car, so I guess you could say I'd do it if I had to, but would prefer not to. I think I'd prefer a spec series, and would be comfortable spending around $1500-$2000 a race weekend or so. There are just so many different cars, series, organizations -- it's kinda overwhelming haha
    In case you're unaware, Slathrop's one of the best guys in this country to listen to. Been around forever (Sorry!) in all aspects Formulae, and willing to help if you read much here. He built the car for a lifetime friend in SV in 1978, and many others past in FF. words of wisdom (not mine, Haha!).

I, too still aim to race, likely in FV or F600. If experienced in karting like I am, F600 is a natural progression. Wings would be cool but add to expense and risk, and sore ribs.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1427

I would suggest that you look into one of the driving school programs to get your feet wet. And after that decide where you want to go. The upside is that many schools programs will satisfy the minimum experience requirements to race with say SCCA or other sanctioning bodies.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 98

The Predator Pc015 apparently uses a 600cc Honda engine, producing 103 HP. 792 lbs. Front wheels 7x13 with 180/50 tire, rear 9x13 with a 200/50 tire. Tires: Yokohama A005 slick. €19,500 ($22,254) ready to race, not including paint and tires.

http://predators.it/la-predators-pc015

The US has nothing to match that performance at that price new. Maybe a Formula First, but that's not nearly as sexy. In a used car, you can look at F600 and Formula F (with a Honda engine).

Check out this spreadsheet.

There are rumors that https://jdrracecars.com might be building something like this (probably without wings). Give them a call. Let us know what you find out.

Greg
    Last edited by holmberg; 01.15.19 at 6:34 PM.

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 562

Cool car, entertaining video.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Greg, on behalf of class-considers everywhere, just wanted to say Thanks for that spreadsheet!

Quote Originally Posted by holmberg View Post
    Check out this spreadsheet.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information