Liked: 0

Default Bmod motor suggestions

Hello there,
    My name is David and I have a Van Diemen RF84 currently with a ā€˜93 Honda CBR 900 motor. I have been driving it and learning the car in autocross this season and am looking for suggestions on a new motor for next season. I have looked up rules for motor sizes for weight with driver and I believe I would fall in the 1600 cc max realm. I have a small understanding that some say the bigger motors are sometimes not as effective in autocross as their smaller rivals. I will be adding aero to the car next season too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Liked: 562

I don't autocross, so don't know for sure about competitiveness, but you could find the physical measurements of a Suzuki Hayabusa engine (1340cc) to see if it might fit in your chassis. But if you choose that route (or any other motorcycle engine), you'll have plenty to change, like a new modified wiring harness, ECU, probably a new header. For me it would be too much work for the improvement, but maybe your situation is different.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 312

1000cc GSXR

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    1000cc GSXR
    I have heard a lot of people use the 1000 cc gsxr motor. Why is this motor so desirable? Has anyone ever used a 2015 or newer Yamaha R1 motor?

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I don't autocross, so don't know for sure about competitiveness, but you could find the physical measurements of a Suzuki Hayabusa engine (1340cc) to see if it might fit in your chassis. But if you choose that route (or any other motorcycle engine), you'll have plenty to change, like a new modified wiring harness, ECU, probably a new header. For me it would be too much work for the improvement, but maybe your situation is different.
    Thank you, I will look into that.

Liked: 312

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC. View Post
    I have heard a lot of people use the 1000 cc gsxr motor. Why is this motor so desirable? Has anyone ever used a 2015 or newer Yamaha R1 motor?
    The GSXR is considered by many people to be the best of the 1000 cc engines and it is widely available at low prices. It is the most common FB engine.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Has anyone ever tried a 2015-current Yamaha R1 motor yet?

Liked: 1

Post Your car would be amazing with a Hayabusa - if one fits

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    ---You could find the physical measurements of a Suzuki Hayabusa engine (1340cc) to see if it might fit in your chassis. But if you choose that route (or any other motorcycle engine), you'll have plenty to change, like a new modified wiring harness, ECU, probably a new header. For me it would be too much work for the improvement, but maybe your situation is different.
    I could help you with measurements for a Hayabusa. I will be away for a week and a half starting Wednesday, 7/18, so I won't be able to measure during that period. If you are interested in having me check dimensions let me know. I am subscribed to this thread so if you post to the thread I will see it. I have not figured out how to PM.

I destroyed the front of my mid-engined car last summer. It was a homebuilt that could be fixed, but I have decided to sell it, hopefully all together. It has a 2nd gen Hayabusa. These motors are factory rated at 198 HP. I have modified the wiring harness to reach the dashboard area etc. ECU is stock. I built a SS header for it. Depending on your frame that might (or might not) work. Figuring out how to make the header cost me a year of racing. The engine has paddle-operated air shift and a Flatshifter Expert as well as an AiM EVO4 datalogger with a Mychron dash. I have a stock Hayabusa instrument cluster available also and I left the connector in the wiring harness for connecting the instrument cluster. I am hoping to sell the whole car with trailer - and all of the extra stuff that is related to it - as a package. Essentially, what I want to sell is everything needed (and more) to convert a roller into a car.

I intend to post a list of parts as soon as I figure out which category is appropriate and how to post.
    Last edited by DougDuFresne; 07.15.18 at 12:05 AM.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    1000cc GSXR
    agree

The Hayabusa is MUCH LARGER!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

14. The following members LIKED this post:

If you had a year choice of GSXR 1000 motor, which would it be?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 99

David,
    I had a home made DSR that was designed around a CBR900RR. Too finicky and I didn't like having carbs. Switched over to a 2004/2006 GSXR 1000 with no frame mods except a couple of motor mounts. Much more fun (HP!!) and easier to drive with Fuel Injection. Of course you will have to rework the wiring harness, oil routing and get a new header. Well woth the work.
    Marty

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    David,
    I had a home made DSR that was designed around a CBR900RR. Too finicky and I didn't like having carbs. Switched over to a 2004/2006 GSXR 1000 with no frame mods except a couple of motor mounts. Much more fun (HP!!) and easier to drive with Fuel Injection. Of course you will have to rework the wiring harness, oil routing and get a new header. Well woth the work.
    Marty
    But is there a particular year GSXR motor you would invest in if you had to again? The 2007 model seems to be the highest numbers when it comes to torque, but Iā€™m not 100% sure on that.

Liked: 896

Doing an MC engine install in an FF chassis is not an easy task but is probably the only way to get a modified FF near the front in solo BMOD. Why not race in the Ff class in solo?

I suspect that a modified FF will never get right to the front in Bmod because the chassis are simply too big in wheelbase and track width.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Doing an MC engine install in an FF chassis is not an easy task but is probably the only way to get a modified FF near the front in solo BMOD. Why not race in the Ff class in solo?

I suspect that a modified FF will never get right to the front in Bmod because the chassis are simply too big in wheelbase and track width.
    The car currently has been modified with a motorcycle engine in it. I figured most of the hard work has already been done. I also race it in Time Attack and currently its very competitive with the older motor.

Thread Information