Thread: What car to buy

Liked: 41

Default What car to buy

Hi all,
    Been lurking with intent for a number of years. I've been racing sports racers for several years and I'm getting tired of having to enlist all my mates to help me with the body work etc. Soooo it brings me to what I think is the purist racing, Open Wheelers.

I have an opportunity to buy a Carbir that was one of the "Chinese Series Cars" This one was never raced and has a almost new Hewland FTR. A band new in crate Z tech with all the goodies...dry sump, throttle bodies, harness, ECU. etc.

The entire car is there except a dash (no big deal, have one) It's from a buddy whom purchased it from Brian Utt but never put it together.

I'm I nuts to buy this over some sort of FC car? Don't have the budget to get into FA or Pro FM. FM doesn't stir my paint so that's out too.

Oh and the car is $20K including lift. just to give you the financial barometer.

Cheers
    Linz

Liked: 384

One vote for FE.
    But seriously ,buy a car that you can comfortably afford to run.
    And go racing.
    Short and simple before this becomes politically incorrect thread.

TWO CENTS....
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1427

The FTR gear box is not legal in FC. A new LD200 will be close to $10,000. Just something to consider.

Liked: 120

Short answer Lindsay:

Yes you are nuts.

Here's why: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...D#.VXzZY1JHbCQ

14 Fc's signed up for Spokane next week so far (2 are novices + 3 more haven't registered. Expecting 17 total)

Plus you get to race against my dad in an FC, I know you guys could both have fun with that.
    Last edited by ccoffin; 06.14.15 at 1:28 AM.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 28

Default Carbir FC

There is a 1999 Carbir FC for sale on the forum right now. Much better choice if you really want to race. The car for sale will need the engine rebuilt, but Ivey is just a state away once you get the car to the West coast!

Liked: 145

Hey mate, after we talked yesterday it occurred to me that you should just pop over to Spokane and test fit some cars during the weekend. Problem with the Chinese
    Car is finding other cars to race with.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1354

No doubt in my mind considering:
    -Your Location
    -Your Budget

Get an FC. Northwest is FC heaven.

And besides the FTR box there may be other issues with the car. But that's a huge one.

Thanks so much for all the feed back.
    Looking at car counts, the FC class seems the most logical. FE doesn't exist up here.... no cars. FM are ok... but like I said does stir me up.

The car I have been looking at it brand new, never ran. Its a roller with a brand new engine and gear box. It looks like it would have to run as a FA. I would run as a formula Libre any way.

Greg, I think that a sterling idea to come up and sit in some.... I shall look at the schedule. FC seems like a tough platform to beat.

Cheers
    Linz

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 145

Just let me know if you are coming and we will make up a bed for you at the house

Liked: 72

you may want to look at F600. I hear they just released some big news for next years formula 600 challenge.
    http://www.theformula600challenge.com/

Liked: 1169

I'm a rabid fan of FF/CF, but if I lived up there I'd probably be in FC.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by gcoffin View Post
    Just let me know if you are coming and we will make up a bed for you at the house
    Cool thanks Mate, I'll let you know asap
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    you may want to look at F600. I hear they just released some big news for next years formula 600 challenge.
    http://www.theformula600challenge.com/
    Been racing DSR's so going to F600 doesn't really get me going. Albeit they are a cool little cars!!

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimanz View Post
    Been racing DSR's so going to F600 doesn't really get me going. Albeit they are a cool little cars!!
    I hear ya on that one! After watching them over the years I'm sure they would be a blast to drive. Are you looking for a P1 or a P2 car. I know where there's a P2 car for sale that's clean and has been kept up.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I hear ya on that one! After watching them over the years I'm sure they would be a blast to drive. Are you looking for a P1 or a P2 car. I know where there's a P2 car for sale that's clean and has been kept up.
    They are a blast but labor intensive.
    Actually I'm looking to go open wheel racing, not back into Sports Racers :-)
    I just spent the last three years building one from scratch.... but would prefer to just do track days and run it on the open road as a Sunday morning coffee getter

Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    Short answer Lindsay:

Yes you are nuts.

Here's why: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...D#.VXzZY1JHbCQ

14 Fc's signed up for Spokane next week so far (2 are novices + 3 more haven't registered. Expecting 17 total)

Plus you get to race against my dad in an FC, I know you guys could both have fun with that.
    17 cars in one class is great! I've been trying to find a good open wheel club race to watch at PIR but every time I go to one of the races it seems like there's only 2 or 3 cars in each class. Only the Spec Miatas and Spec Racer Fords get regular decent sized grids. Where does everyone else go if not ICSCC and SCCA?

Liked: 120

There are not that many open wheel cars out of Portland, so local run of the mill events rarely have that many cars. You might get more than five CF's if you're lucky. That said for our nwfc event at PIR last year there were 15 Fc's. Check out the schedule at Northwestfc.net

No PIR this year, but it will come back around.

The reason for the diluted fields is that their are too many events. The FC group got together a couple of years ago and decided to do their best to make a few specific events each year. Spec Miata is now doing the same in the NW, but is centered around PIR, pacific and the ridge. Great way to get big fields.

Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    There are not that many open wheel cars out of Portland, so local run of the mill events rarely have that many cars. You might get more than five CF's if you're lucky. That said for our nwfc event at PIR last year there were 15 Fc's. Check out the schedule at Northwestfc.net

No PIR this year, but it will come back around.

The reason for the diluted fields is that their are too many events. The FC group got together a couple of years ago and decided to do their best to make a few specific events each year. Spec Miata is now doing the same in the NW, but is centered around PIR, pacific and the ridge. Great way to get big fields.
    Aha, so that's where everyone's going! Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be on the lookout for the next time there's one nearby and I've got a free weekend. Looks like your race at The Ridge is on the same weekend I have a go kart race this year unfortunately. Are there any similar highly specific series like this in the area for FF or F1000 or something or is FC just definitely the car to get in the Northwest if you're interested in big fields?
    Last edited by Spengo; 06.15.15 at 6:59 PM.

Thread Information