Thread: Schools

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 436

Default Schools

I have a question which maybe a dumb one (god knows I have had a few ) but can I get my license to run a formula car in say my Lotus 7? My 7 is ready to go where my 61 is close but not quite there yet. It will be later in the year but I don't want to miss the AARC event.
    Thanks
    Graham

Contributing Member
    Liked: 90

If your 7 passes tech (roll bar, etc) I would think you're good. That's exactly what I did for my school with my Westfield 7--had to upgrade the roll bar, and they put me in the open wheel group. Driving school isn't about lap times, it's playing nice and learning how it all works.

or rent something?

first thing to do is check with the group where you want to do the school, they will tell you the requirements for a car to be elligble

Liked: 17

Your full competition license is not class specific. After successfully completing the required driver's school you can compete in any legal vehicle you like.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Thanks, that sounds good. Yes the 7 has a legal roll bar etc. I have run it in HSAX before and was run through tech which was the same tech inspection as the wheel to wheel guys were doing. Just a good back up if it comes to that.
    Graham

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

A Seven , if I'm not mistaken, would require a cage or very substantial front hoop.
    In addition side bars may be required.
    Check the rule book for EP or FP as that is where Sevens would run. (Or used to)
    Road race requirements are quite different from auto-X.
    I'd be very uncomfortable to run either of my Sevens in Fast traffic without more Beef!!

Thanks Christopher for that. I will check. The tech it went through was for actual road racing at the Autobahn track in Joliet IL. They had a combined weekend of High Soeed Auto Cross which was 3 timed laps of the course in conjuction with a wheel to wheel race. I only did the HSAX event though. I have AX it many times and the tech for that was nothing compared to this event. Mine has the dash hoop etc but not side bars.
    Graham

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Might see if there is a SCCA travel tech in your region.

Thread Information