Liked: 0

There is much discussion that SV may become 24/7 NASCAR. If you don't like that idea you may want to sign this petition.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/svsn/

Probably won't help, but it can't hurt either.

Don't forget that Fox lost it's rights to NASCAR. NBC and TNT will be broadcasting all NASCAR events. Fox would not allow any other network to show any NASCAR video at any time so I wouldn't expect to many favors in return. My feeling is that Fox, which already owned about 30% of Speedvision, bought the rest to keep involved in motorsports broadcasting.

Michael Hall

ps. Hey purple frog check my post under General Tech about Reynard wheels I need some info.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 1417

I think I may be one of the only ones who feels that Speedvision will not change much.

Murdoch didn't get where he is by being stupid. The fact is, NASCAR is big dollars. If they need to show NASCAR events to generate enough revenues to be able to show FIA rallyes and German Touring Car events, then bring it on.

I'm all for more racing, less boats and planes. I don't mind NASCAR racing (or any racing, really), and if that means more and better programming for Speedvision, so be it.

I think everyone has quickly forgotten how bad motorsports programming was on television before we had Speedvision. It may not be perfect, but we can watch live F1 races from all over the world (with decent commentary), and the entire 24 Hours of LeMans and Daytona.

It wasn't that long ago when the Indy 500 was tape delayed and you NEVER saw sports car racing on the big three.

Just to correct BrooksHall -- Fox and NBC/TNT split the $400M they are paying Nascar for the broadcast rights. Fox got the first half of this year, and NBC/TNT get the second half plus the Daytona 500 for 2002, then it will revert to Fox for 6 mo. I think the total deal is 3 or 4 years.

And I agree with Doug, while a combined Fox/Speedvision will certainly have more Nascar coverage, there are a lot of hours to fill in the schedule and I suspect that there will still be time for sports cars and open wheel racing if the subscribers and advertisers want it.

David Hill, chairman of Fox Sports, was quoted in Autoweek (7/2/01) as saying now that Fox's NASCAR coverage is done for the year he will be working on the "evolution of Speedvision into a NASCAR channel." They are even thinking about changing the name. That quote makes me pretty pessimistic about the future of real (left & right) racing on Speedvision. I'm sure they won't end it completely but the older I get the harder it is for me to stay up so I can watch races in the middle of the night.

And now a preview of Speedvision's exclusive coverage of the 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans (shown only as a thirty minute highlite show at 4am);

"Dang Durell, you see 'em fellers change that gurbox? Woo-wee that was fast!"

"Yup, sure was Lurry. You'd thank that if'n they kin change a gurbox that quick they could git these pitstops a might shorter. They need to git that Yates crew to come show 'em how it 'spose to be done.

"Lurry, I thank that there Bentley's dun falt off the pace a bit o're the last few ours. He may need to come in 'an git a round or two of wedge and some spring rubbers."

"Shure 'nuff Durell. Now we're gonna send it back to the booth where that talkin' dummy that don't know nuthin' 'bout motor racin' will really make you wanna change the channel....."

Wow thats alot of info that I had not heard!!!! The biggest reason I got Speedvision is for the F1 coverage. If it does turn into the Southern Broadcasting Network I am gone. To loose live F1 and get the coverage that Fox offered last season would be to much. If everthing that was posted here is true I think we can all kiss the Speedvision of today goodbye. I for one find NASCAR the most boring form of motorsport on the planet. It's like SRF on ovals. Real race cars don't have fenders and they turn right. After reading this the only person in my house thats happy is my wife she finds all racing boring. Rupert Murdoc is not stupid and unfortunatly NASCAR is big money so he'll go were the money is. My only hope is that Bernie will give us his pay satalite service.

The other thing is how will effect the USGP. It's still looking to gain a foot hold and Speedvisions total coverage is most likely going to be replaced by three rednecks talking about "rass cars" and "rubin is rassin."

Michael Hall
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 79

I know I shouldn't even touch this but I am a huge Nascar fan. While I do enjoy my spell checker in WORD...we are all not ignorant. Secondly, I do not sleep with my sister, who also happens to be my aunt and also my grandmother...

(I could not resist)

Lets just try to get racing away from ABC/ESPN. Their coverage is terrible, with way too many commercial breaks and lets face it guys, racing is going to have cautions and delays and if you only give a two hour race two hours, guess what, you are never going to have time for winner interviews. What dumba-- cant understand that. We all want to hear what the drivers have to say at the end of a race. If basketball or baseball is what you think is more important then leave the racing for the racing networks. Now Ive had my say and will continue to refuse to buy anything that is advertised during ABC/ESPN's crappy coverage.

Sorry guys, got a little carried away.

Holly crap Joe! I think we might be brothers! Uncle Jed is that you

Liked: 3855

Tab, I think you are starting to rub off on Montfort.

Pretty soon everybody is going to be a cynical old SOB, and Defer will quit tuning in, and then we all will the worse for it.

Thread Information