Liked: 43

Default JE Piston Ring Part Number needed

Doing a refresh locally and need the part number for JE piston rings? Or other good rings to suit JE pistons?

Cheers

Liked: 126

Alex - I believe the rings are the same as those used on the new CP pistons. I know Pegasus has them.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1592

Nope! made this mistake before. When the SCCA approved this piston it was with the 1/16 1st and 2nd rings but a 4mm oil control ring pack. The 1/8 ring pack feels right when you assemble it, but it takes an expert to tell it's too loose. I destroyed a set of new liners when the expanders broke up. Won't find it with a leak-down test either! At the top of the stroke the compression rings are above the wear. I figured out there was something wrong when I kept putting oil in and none showed up in the catch tank.

This is one of those nucking futs things about the way things get approved that drive you crazy. You have to buy two sets of rings to get one set for these pistons. J&E shows a set in thier catalog, but they no longer make them.

Your best bet is to buy them from an SCCA engine builder - they'll probably even come relieved to reduce the tension.

IIRC the CPs use a standard ring pack.

Very nice catch Rick. And many thanks for the info.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll be making some phone calls!

It begs the question, what rings is Pegasus selling that are suitable for both CP and JE pistons? I would be really upset if I purchased those rings only to find them not suitable or worse, cause significant damage.

dunno- maybe there were two kinds of J&Es. I remember calling them up to order the right set after destroying those liners and the J&E guy literally cursing the SCCA. I evidently got the guy that actually designed the piston and went thru the approval process.

Cameron at Ivey says they are the same ring.

interesting.........

I guess that means the cp pistons also use the 4mm ring pack? because they definately aren't the 1/8s

Liked: 0

It is actually a 5/32 ring groove. If you have trouble getting them I can get them for you from Total Seal.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports
    Danbury,CT

Default Rings ordered

Thanks for all the input guys. Very helpful.

I have ordered the rings for my JE pistons (M6102-B200) from BAT.

I gave them a call and they confirmed the compression rings are 1/16" wide, and the oil ring fits the 5/32" grove. So they should work fine. Very helpful on the phone too!

If they turn out to be incorrect I'll update this thread with more info.

Cheers

Thread Information