Thread: Gear Ratios

Liked: 2

Default Gear Ratios

I know there are many threads on this site in relation to gear ratios , however, I have a unique inquiry.

I live in Australia and will soon be running a FC car in races over here.

We do not have a FC class here in OZ and I understand gear choice is calculated used speed figures / data to decide on a 'baseline' setting that is then further tuned by testing and driving. If that is correct, how do I go about 'estimating' my predicted speed at parts of the track with no other reference points (as in similar vehicles)??

Other classes that we run in OZ (that you may be familiar with) are Formula Ford (Kent), Formula Ford (Duratec) and Formula 3. How does an FC's speed compare (generally) with these categories?

How can I use there lap time / speed data to try and guesstimate my speed to allow me to calculate suitable gears??

Any advice appreciated. As a FC novice AND living in OZ, I suspect I will be posting here regularly asking stupid questions. Thanks for any (sensible) advice.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 923

I'll bet you're going to be close the FF Duratec. and a bit faster than the Kent.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 35

Hey John...

Send me an e-mail ... scotty@taylor-race.com...

I will be more than happy to spend some time with you and help you figure some rations.
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Liked: 0

Default OZ

But don't you guys race on the WRONG side of the track ... LOL ... mate

Liked: 2

We race on the correct side of the track, you lot are on the 'wrong' side.

The ship bringing my race car over has just left New Zealand and heading towards Brisbane. Getting close!!

Thread Information