Liked: 4

Default Torque Specs for Heavy Duty Donuts

Hi guys,

could someone please give me the correct torque specs for heavy duty donuts? I heard somewhere that the torque spec differs for 'regular' and 'heavy duty' donuts?

The Hwy Duty Donuts were acquired through Pegasus Racing.

Thanks so much.

Ciao,
    n.

Liked: 611

Default Torque specs

There is a steel tube (if I remember correctly) inside the donut, that the bolt goes through and thus clamps down, so I would think the torque required, is based on bolt size, not which donut used.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

after struggling to "align" those things and beating in the bolts who has the energy to look up a torque spec? LOL

to quote Allan Taylor of Alexis Cars..."always to be tight"

Installation was quite easy... the donuts I received were 'pre-compressed' with a metal band. Once they're installed, just clip the metal band and they expand.

Cheers,
    n.

Liked: 956

For the last 20 yeasrs, they have been supplied with bent sheet metal inserts for the bolt holes. The inserts will collapse if overtorqued. I use AN bolts and AN hardedened steel washers under the nut or bolt head to spresd the load over the insert.

I am using 38-40 lbs/ft on my old Elan. I have had a donut fail and its not a good experience. Someone else had a really ugly failure several years ago on a Lotus 51. So be careful. Should be part of your nut and bolt prep for every event.
    Last edited by DanW; 10.15.10 at 10:21 AM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Hi guys,

thanks so much for all the responses. I also got some replies that stated the torque specs depended on the grade of bolts use (5 or 8).

I shook down my car this past weekend at Willow Springs and everything went fine.

Ciao,
    n.

Thread Information