Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massa injuried

Liked: 33

Default Duck?

Duck to miss a flying part? Doubt if anyone would be able to react quick enough - would be lucky to even blink before it hit.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Not so much a duck as a flinch. Been there done that, bouncing wrench of front straight approx 145, golf ball in face at range 30 feet. From the look of his helmet 1 inch would have made a difference.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mark defer View Post
    yeh, bubble canopies, that's the ticket. hey, while we're at it, why don't we put fenders over the tires so that they can't throw projectiles rearward.
    wait a second, were did all the formula cars go? all i see in our future are sedans and sports racers.
    come on ladies, ya can't eliminate all the risks.

mark d
    I'm with you.

If you want the "safety" of a roof and windshield then a formula car is not the place for you.

Change cars. If you're really worried about it you can go to one of those classes that allow ABS and airbags. Hell, they even have cup holders!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I don't necessarily think a canopy is the way to go. However, what about a short little windscreen like the older Formula cars had that was thick enough to deflect such objects over the drivers' head, save the odd angle of attack? Nothing terribly tall and ugly but at least get the drivers' head out of the air stream.

Refusing to even consider safety upgrades allows Darwinism to work as designed. Some of us prefer to learn through observation of others.

Heck, why don't we all just ditch our harnesses, fire systems, helmets and suits? Race like they did when men were men.

Default Formula Racing is Dangerous

But that is what it should be. Always a tinge of fear when you drop the visor before going out to race. Quite lonely. Never know if you will come back. But then when the lights go off then it is all in the moment. Real pure racing.

It would be sad if this Massa and Surtees accidents now scares more racers off formula racing. Such pure racing and so few racers involved. So many would rather dawdle around in a saloon. Probably deep down scared of the open wheels, open cockpit and high corner speeds of wings and slicks racing.

However I think we have the most safety we can can have. Bell Cart helmet, Hans, solid harness........

Come on guys think about it we do so many fast corners and how many of us get injured or worse in our accidents these days? It is still a very very safe sport.

Liked: 2

To expand upon Mr. Morgan's thought...
    Not so much a duck or even a flinch, but just a little compliance in the helmet to cockpit interface.
    In other words, the more vice-like the grip on the helmet, the more energy will be absorbed by the head and helmet.

Liked: 9

Default A bit of perspective

what about a short little windscreen
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/07/2...it/#more-23421
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 421

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
    However I think we have the most safety we can can have.
    That is a terrible attitude to have. At one time it was better to not have harnesses so one could jump out if the car caught fire. Then things progressed through the Stewart years and onwards. To think we have peaked in the realm of safety is ludicrous. If you want to challenge the gods then join the Top Gear crowd and race caravans with no harnesses.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Banned

Ted,

I certainly like the last part....thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'm talking about a windscreen that would deflect the object away from the drivers' head, not stop it. A LOT lower force is required to deflect an object than is required to stop it.

Default SCHUMACHER COMEBACK

Just saw a blurb on CNN that suggested that Michael Schumacher may come out of retirement.

Default Anything's possible

when you see today's quotes like this from Schumi and his agent:
    .....But Schumacher's manager Weber met with him this week in Geneva and afterwards told both Britain's Daily Mail and the German news agency SID that a comeback can be ruled out.

"Whoever sits in the car at the next race in Valencia, it will not be Michael Schumacher," he said. "I am not 100 per cent sure; I am 200 per cent sure."

Schumacher himself told the German magazine Bunte: "It does not make sense to talk about offers. My decision (to retire in 2006) stands."
    This is 2009, meaning that the more of a sure thing a quote appears to be, the less I buy it. Besides, we're what........4 weeks away? Things will flip-flop at least 8 more times before we know who will be in the seat. Cynicism is the only protection we kibitzers have with F-1 these days.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 19

A half second more behind that spring and Massa was a gonner - guess his number wasn't up...... Quit the safety sissy talk, anything can and will happen in a race car!!

It will be Gene or Badoer.... I would love to see Fast Freddie move into that seat ASAP - but that won't happen.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    Cynicism is the only protection we kibitzers have with F-1 these days.
    I got a kick out of this, Ted. You rock, dude!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 48

Default YA WHAT HE SAID !!!!

yeh, bubble canopies, that's the ticket. hey, while we're at it, why don't we put fenders over the tires so that they can't throw projectiles rearward.
    wait a second, were did all the formula cars go? all i see in our future are sedans and sports racers.
    come on ladies, ya can't eliminate all the risks.

mark d

Thank you Mark !!!
    Last edited by greg pizzo; 07.28.09 at 9:54 PM.
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Default Definition of a Spring

From what I understand of what I heard on the coverage of the accident, these cars don't have a traditional spring, it is actually a torsion bar but they still call it a spring. Having looked at the incar footage a number of times, it looks like a piece that has broken out of the torsion bar, and with the loads that a modern formula one car is under, and with in season testing banned, it is entirely possible that more component failures could eventuate

Liked: 22

Expect a circus surrounding who gets the seat for the balance of the season. Would you expect anything less from F1, esspecially w/ a four week break to fuel the rumor mill.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...o-massas-seat/

On the good news front Massa is awake, talking, and walking a little, w/ no memory of the accident. Hopes to be transferred to a Paris hospital by the weekend.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc. (retired)
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Tractor View Post
    From what I understand of what I heard on the coverage of the accident, these cars don't have a traditional spring, it is actually a torsion bar but they still call it a spring. Having looked at the incar footage a number of times, it looks like a piece that has broken out of the torsion bar, and with the loads that a modern formula one car is under, and with in season testing banned, it is entirely possible that more component failures could eventuate
    Not all F1 cars run torsion bars (which are springs, just not coil springs), though the vast majority do for the primary suspension springs. However, the video makes it pretty clear that it was a smaller coil spring. I believe it was mentioned it was the 'third spring' used to to support the car under heavy aerodynamic load in heave so as to use softer springs in the roll mode. Similar to what the Piper cars come delivered with, but front & rear on an F1 car.

Tim
    Last edited by TimW; 07.29.09 at 2:07 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default Schumacher to fill in for Massa

Just read on the Speed website that Michael Schumacher has announced he will be taking over the Ferrari for the duration of the season, starting at Valencia. This could throw an interesting monkey wrench in the championship fight if he can take some points from the Brawn and RBR teams. Other's thoughts on Schumacher's return?

Dave

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    Expect a circus surrounding who gets the seat for the balance of the season. Would you expect anything less from F1, esspecially w/ a four week break to fuel the rumor mill.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...o-massas-seat/

On the good news front Massa is awake, talking, and walking a little, w/ no memory of the accident. Hopes to be transferred to a Paris hospital by the weekend.
    And 20 min later on the same website it is Schumacher!

If nothing else maybe it will light a fire under Kimi. If that is even possbile
    Last edited by PCalhoun; 07.29.09 at 2:46 PM.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc. (retired)
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 30

Default Mikey is back...

...hope the "old man" kicks their b**ts...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=38593

Liked: 449

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    And 20 min later on the same website it is Schumacher!

I nothing else maybe it will light a fire under Kimi. If that is even possbile
    I don't think that's possible without a KERS explosion or some good Vodka.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Banned

Well I guess Schumi is quite the team player.

I don't think he'll gain much by doing so. I suspect that it will become apparent that most of his domination in the sport was because of vastly superior equipment.

I do see Ferrari gaining much in development due to his experience and ability to work more efficiently with the engineers than most. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    I don't think he'll gain much by doing so. I suspect that it will become apparent that most of his domination in the sport was because of vastly superior equipment.

I do see Ferrari gaining much in development due to his experience and ability to work more efficiently with the engineers than most. So there's that.
    ... or we might find out just how good he really is. without any testing it'll be tough compounded by the fact his first race back will be at a track he's never raced on

looking past valencia I can't wait for Spa!!!!

Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Well I guess Schumi is quite the team player.

Really ....and what do YOU base that on

Liked: 25

Superior equipment because the dude was born with it!
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information