Liked: 0

Default Everything IS still a go for Labor Day Weekend at Blue Grass

Despite all the rumors etc everything is good for our Labor Day weekend show at Blue Grass. I spoke to the track just days ago and I believe we have worked out a schedule. Please get your pre-entries in.
    Thanks,
    John
    JH

Liked: 3

John,

Just what exactly is the schedule going to be?

There is an announcement in this months Sports Car that the weekend is having "Pro" Spec Racer and "Pro" FE races. http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=4&news=3645

Dave Dawson
    Last edited by dd46637; 06.10.09 at 8:46 PM. Reason: added link

Dave,
    BG is still ironing out the schedule I have seen the proposed schedule and we are on it and it looks good. I don't know that I can share it with the public yet since all of the parties have not completed reviewing it yet. But track time is there on all 3 days. I have had several discussions with the track and one with FE and things are going OK. I plan to visit the track in late June or early July. It will be TA, FE, FRCCA and PSR.
    Thanks,
    John
    JH

Agreed...and the one thing we now know is that my original stated concerns (to the track and SCCA Pro) that track time was getting ugly are gone as Ken Grammer's ATCC is resting for the rest of 2009. So what I was told, that resulted in the FE discussion where it became apparent we had all been told concrete things that differed...making concrete knowledge a bunch of mush, is all changed yet again. But on the bright side Mr. Heckman and I are now acquanted.

Oh and somewhere on your list the double SRF seemed to be missing and then I realized Pro Spec Racer is PSR...
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Liked: 58

Default A little local information

The Blue Grass race is in my neck of the woods so I thought I'd offer a little advice. Labor Day weekend hosts the biggest single event that happens during the year in Cincinnati. Its called Riverfest and its signature happening is the fireworks on the Sunday evening before labor day (September 6th this year). The fireworks are launched from a barge in the river as well as a couple of the bridges across the river. Its about the best fireworks display you will get a chance to see. The event draws about a half million people to the riverfront area. For that reason you may find hotels more difficult to find than normal. You may also find unusual cancellation policies when you book. Check on them and make sure you know your options. Here's a link from last year's event which may give you an idea of the scale of what happens:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.../ENT/308220048

Depending on your plans you might consider trying to see the fireworks before leaving the area after the races on Sunday. When I was in high school the fireworks were just starting to be a tradition. There was a TON of recreational substance abuse going on. Over the past 10+ years this has become a well mannered, but massive, family friendly event. Traffic around the downtown area is absolutely horrendous for 2-3 hours after the fireworks. The best viewing locations require being on the site by the late morning (impossible for us racers) but there are more distant vantage points that are approachable into the evening. There will be a similar "guide to riverfest" published as we get close to this race.

Doug

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4368
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    Retirement Sale NOW, Everything must go!

Liked: 58

Default Too bad

Thanks for the post Greg. I hadn't run into that yet.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4368

Maybe FST will get to run Mid-Ohio on Labor Day weekend yet!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    Retirement Sale NOW, Everything must go!

Liked: 190

Default No Fat Lady in Sight

This from the FV forum:

Hold the phone, this is the second time the event cancelled "rumor" has circulated, maybe the SCCA is pulling out, but John Heckman of the FRCCA was there last week and is still pushing forward for the event, he is trying to find an answer today if there are any new setbacks. Stay tuned news at 11....

I've put a PM into John Heckman to give an update on the BG event status.

Besides, there is a back-up double regional event at Mid-Ohio in place if there is actual trouble.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Hi Guys,
    I have not heard that our end has been cancelled yet. As I told Bill I have an email into the track and I am awaiting a reply. I know SCCA Pro is not going to be there from what I have read here. But I am waiting to see if the fat lady makes an appearance first before I pull our plug.
    John
    JH

I have been thinking, it may be that they won't be ready for a spectator show. Big difference in prep for a non-spectator show. I am waiting to hear regardless.
    John
    JH

Liked: 190

Thanks John, we're all hopeful that the event at BG takes place. Personally, I like the challenge of learning a new track as it really levels the playing field for all.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

We are still on!
    email I just got from the track and I quote
    John,

About how many cars are you expecting?We are on track to have a fun weekend. Thanks a million

-Kurt
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 07.08.09 at 11:20 PM.
    JH

I didn't know my last post was going to look like that hoefully you could read through the stuff around the words.
    JH

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

If the track has a paved surface come Labor Day weekend, the management is going to assure you it's ready. However, as a potential entrant in that event, I can say that I personally will not show up for an event at a track that has yet to turn a wheel in a competition event to be a guinea pig. There is a lot more to being "ready to race" than simply having a track to race on, e.g., safety equipment, tires walls, runoff areas, curbing, proper paddock facilities, etc. Anyone who is familiar with the Grand Am race that was run at New Jersey Motorsports Park last year before that track was ready for primetime knows what I'm talking about. There will be plenty of opportunities to race at Bluegrass when/if it is fully built and sorted out, so I'm in no hurry to be "the first."
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Matt,
    That is your decision and I am sure since this is the US everyone would agree that you are entitled to do what you want. Important thing is to have safe fun where ever you go.
    Have you seen the track yet?
    Thanks for your input,
    John
    JH

Contributing Member

I've seen videos of cars driving on it and know three or four people who have been there during construction, including two who have driven on it during construction, and based on that, it looks like it will be a good track when it's finished. Sorry to sound so negative, but I think it would be very risky to show up at a track that is half finished to run a race. Your point about being safe and having fun is well taken, and those are two things that could be hard to achieve at a race track that is not ready. Could be why the SCCA just cancelled. But hopefully it will be ready a month from now and everything will go smoothly.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    I've seen videos of cars driving on it and know three or four people who have been there during construction, including two who have driven on it during construction, and based on that, it looks like it will be a good track when it's finished. Sorry to sound so negative, but I think it would be very risky to show up at a track that is half finished to run a race. Your point about being safe and having fun is well taken, and those are two things that could be hard to achieve at a race track that is not ready. Could be why the SCCA just cancelled. But hopefully it will be ready a month from now and everything will go smoothly.
    SCCA had more to lose by cancelling last minute. The Pro racing is a national series with people theoretically coming from a long way away. Cancelling that last minute would cost the teams in the series money in things like non-refundable plane tickets for crew, etc.

Contributing Member

Sure, they had to make a decision without knowing everything that might transpire in terms of track preparation between now and Labor Day, but obviously they also saw not cancelling as risky or they wouldn't have cancelled. That tells me the track is not finished and SCCA was not confident it would be ready in time.

I may not be a Pro team, but it would be inconvenient for me to have the plug pulled on that event at the last minute too. I've already had one event at Bluegrass cancelled on me (NASA) and it negatively affected a rental deal I was trying to put together for the season with another car I own, so all these delays have hit a nerve with me.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Matt,
    Point well taken and we would never expose drivers to a known risk, and after meeting with track management I don't think they would either. In fact i am sure they wouldn't it would be a horrible way to open a track.
    I think there are levels of preparation though. One would be from a drivers point of view which we all are concerned about. The other though is one drivers, particularily club racers, probably rarely think about and that would be when you have a spectator race (not talking about our crews but real seat and bleachers type spectators) there is much more to prepare. I don't know for sure but my guess is that the track will be ready for racing but the spectator areas may not be. I think ( I don't know) Pro-Races are full spectator events so that may be why too. I am not trying to change your mind just thinking out loud if you will. When I get more information I will let you all know. I have made one trip out (about 9 hours) and if I need to I will make a second to check in August, to look for the safety items.
    Best regards,
    John
    JH

Thread Information