Thread: FA Advice

Liked: 0

Default FA Advice

I am looking to purchase a FA car and I am presently looking at three or four FA cars:

A Ralt RT40 with RT41 bodywork
    A swift 008 with stiffened tub and 014 bodywork
    A Swift 008 with stiifenned tub, new tunels
    A Swift 014 (a little out of my price range)

All cars have recently freshened engines and gearboxes by reputable builders. Any pros and cons on parts availability or problems with these cars would be greatly appreciated?

Weldon

Classifieds Super License Phil Picard's Avatar
    Liked: 111

Open Z wallet.
    Real FA is a great class, however depending where you reside, there are varying subscription levels of this class Regional and National.
    If you haven't done so already, I would gently suggest that you look into subscription levels first, FA is pretty pricey to be in a class of 3 cars.
    Personally, I would love to drive a FA but out here, its very a lonely class, and doesn't make sense $ per amount of competition.

Sort of FA, SCCA car seems to be pulling more numbers.
    FC/ CFC also dependant where you are.
    Z tech seems to be the wave of the future.

Just my 2 cents,
    Balance your choice between logic and your hearts desire.

Good luck!

Liked: 11

My vote would be a new F1000, but have to admit that it just does not get any cooler than a real Swift FA (008 or 014- even Russ's old DB4 was sweet).

I'd love to have one.

(sorry, don't know enough to comment on the questions in your post)
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 4

Default Ditto

Open ZZ Wallet !,

Phil pretty well covered it all.

As an owner of a DB4, make sure there is a competent Prep Shop close by. These cars need ""much more"" attention than F/C and a good Prep Shop knows alot of the overall cost saving tricks.

Good Luck
    www.swiftformulacar.com
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

Liked: 1

I'm not sure what an 'RT-40 with RT-41 bodywork" is. The big difference in these cars is the tub. The RT-41 is longer in the footbox, has a much smaller cockpit opening, and is much stiffer.

The 008 has not shown to be faster than the RT-41 anywhere. The 014 is better than the 008, but much more expensive.

Parts can be a problem on the Ralt. Suspension pieces are generally available from a number of fabricators. Staff's (Elite) gearboxes and parts are available. Things like uprights and oil tanks are very hard to find and can get expensive. Bodywork and wings are available.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 421

Some indication of your proposed budget, racing plans and racing experience might make it easier for us to make some more concrete suggestions.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 203

If you plan to be in it long term as in ten years then the 014 would probably be the best long term due to parts availability etc. Also the cars are newer and therefore havent been used quite as much. Tubs can loose their stiffness and in the older cars can sometimes delaminate. I wouldnt go with the 008, not a good car really. The 41 or 014 are really the only options and the 41's have to be getting to the end of their lifespan as far as the carbon tub stiffness and fatigue. You might find yourself having to buy all new equipment in a couple of years.

All that aside, Atlantics are so awesome. When I was testing with pro teams to run in the pro series afew years ago I just couldnt believe the speed of the cars. Doing low 7's at Roebling Road is fast for an FC, doing the same time in an atlantic but with running the chicane right past the start finish and being flat out from the chicane until turn 4 is NUTS.

Liked: 11

Default Db4!

I respectfully disagree that the Ralt 41 and Swift 014 is the only choice for FA. The Swift DB4 is still fully competive in near-standard form in club FA and MUCH cheaper to run than the other cars. I have raced and tested the Swift 014 on several occations(once at Roebling,and it WAS fun!) and I truely believe that a DB4 could be made to go just as fast(see Dave Wilcox) as the newer Swift. Remember, the Swift008/014 is a SPEC car and was never designed to maximise currently avaliable technology,while the decade older DB4 was. I think the DB4 w/skirts gives,by far the most downforce of any Atlantic out there,including the 016. The most critical part on any used Atlantic is the condition of the tub, if the tub is weak as most are, then the car will be junk.

Liked: 203

I can understand your points but if you took the same time, energy, and engineering to develop the DB4 to be as fast as a 41 or 014 and put that into developing the 41 or 014 then I still think the 41 or 014 would be faster. Also, remember that the 40 and 41 came out and became the dominant chassis of the series beating the DB4. All in all I think Dave Bruns designed cars are works of art but eventually they will be beaten by newer and better technology which is in my opinion the case now. I do agree that the DB4 would be a great regional car however I still think the others would give your best performance. I also agree with your statement that if the tub is weak then it doesnt matter it is all junk.

Liked: 0

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I have been racing Formula Mazda for the past five years in Southern CA. Great reliable car, easy to work on and low cost to race. Just looking to move up and drive something a little faster and more modern with the FA.

I spoke with several people at Willow Springs this weekend and they had very similar comments. If money is no object go with the 014. The Ralts are great cars just getting harder to find parts for.

Thread Information