Liked: 21

Default Any DB4's or RT4's in SoCal?

I am wondering if anyone in SoCal (preferably orange county) has a Swift DB4 or Ralt RT4 that they would not mind me sitting in to see if I can fit in the cockpit of these cars before I start looking to buy one. I'm 6' 190lbs.

Thanks in Advance,

Jon
    Proposition 65 warning:
    WARNING:The preceding post (and everything else in existence) is known to the State of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.

Liked: 562

Good idea, Jon. I'm 6', 170 lb. and the DB-4 cockpit is very narrow, especially in the hips area. It's also tight around the shoulders.

I heard someone state that they could not left-foot brake in a DB-4, but I've been able to without much difficulty.

This is still kinda hard for me to believe, but I've been told by someone who ran DB-4's successfully that many "normal size" drivers had the lower inner cockpit panels removed to provide more hip room. I have seen a DB-4 tub with this modification. They claimed the removed panels did not adversely affect tub stiffness.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 126

I'm 5'10" 185 lbs and fit just fine in a DB4 I was thinking of buying. I found it more comfortable than my Van Diemen.

Liked: 0

Will be at Buttonwillow over Labor Day weekend for the double regional with Cal Club. We usually park over near the skidpad end of the paddock. You are more than welcome to try it on.

When I bought my car it came with several sets of cockpit sidewall panels that could be interchanged depending on the size of the driver. Currently the car has the narrow person panels. Last weekend I made a bead seat and had no trouble making room for the bead material. I am 70" tall and weigh 190 lbs. As for length the pedal assembly has quite a bit of length adjustment.

Scott B

Swift DB4
    85 Van Diemen FF

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav
    I'm 5'10" 185 lbs and fit just fine in a DB4 I was thinking of buying. I found it more comfortable than my Van Diemen.
    Rob, I'll bet the car you sat in has had the lower interior aluminum side panels removed that Russ was talking about. I'm 5' 9" , 170 lbs & there is no way I can fit in Russ's DB4. The lower part of my hip bones hit hard on those panels.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 309

I'm 5'10" and 170, and I could not squeeze past the hip inserts in David Wilcox's DB-4.

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

I am 5 11 1/2 205lbs and I gave up on the DB4 as I would never have been comfortable. With the panels in it was impossibly tight and with the panels out I did fit but jeez it was tight.

Thanks for the reply's all.

Scott B I'll try to hunt you down at button willow. What number and color is your car?

Jon
    Proposition 65 warning:
    WARNING:The preceding post (and everything else in existence) is known to the State of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.

Liked: 126

That DB4 probably did have the side panels removed, but I don't remember. I do remember that there was no seat at all, and it was reasonably comfortable. But then again, my torso seems to be more "round" than "oval".

Liked: 562

Default Exchangable Panels

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B
    When I bought my car it came with several sets of cockpit sidewall panels that could be interchanged depending on the size of the driver.
    Scott, if it's convenient, I would be interested to see how that was done.

I am assuming that my 1991 car has never been modified in that area. The area looks complex enough to me that I'm curious to know how the original panels were removed and how your new "optional" set up was done.

Not urgent. Just would be interested to see it.

Below is a picture of my lower tub with custom seat removed.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 09.30.09 at 9:48 PM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

My car is white....should be 23 or a variant as such....we will also be there for the first FST race on the coast coast with a Stinger #26.

Russ....the side panels I have are quite a bit different than yours.On mine the wide part is at the floor and goes straight up, to the seam where the lower and upper tub halves are riveted/epoxied together. They came with the car, but I have not changed them out since the current ones are fine....as I said earlier I am 70" and 190 + or - 5 pounds.

Scott B

Default Rt4 Sizing

Jon,

We have numerous RT4's racing in VARA, stop by California Speedway next weekend for the Golden State Classic - VARA event. Most of the drivers will allow you to sit in their cars for and ask questions.

Our event is July 15 / 16, gates open at 7:30am, first session each is 8:00am. Group 1 is where the FC/FA/Indy will be running.

Craig

http://www.vararacing.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHibbard
    Jon,

We have numerous RT4's racing in VARA, stop by California Speedway next weekend for the Golden State Classic - VARA event. Most of the drivers will allow you to sit in their cars for and ask questions.

Our event is July 15 / 16, gates open at 7:30am, first session each is 8:00am. Group 1 is where the FC/FA/Indy will be running.

Craig

http://www.vararacing.com

Thanks Craig, I will be there to check them out next weekend!
    Proposition 65 warning:

Default Cal Speedway

Jon,

Good. Most the RT4's will be in Garage G2. Stop by my space, Garage G2, space 43. car #98 FC.

Craig

Liked: 5

Russ,

Your car still has the original lower seat area configuration as it was built. The car originally came with a plastic shell like seat back that sat against the rear of the cockpit and it was kind of a "one size fits all" piece. I used a custom two part foam seat and a seperate piece in the butt/crotch area to eliminate any forward slide under braking. I also had some side panels at the area where the knees passed through the steering bulkhead that were covered with 1/2" dense foam. I also added a 1" thick dense foam pad on each side of the cockpit in to fill in the depressions in the side of the tub at the shoulder area. I was 5'10" and 162 in 1991 and the car fit me like a glove with the mods. I still don't know how some of the bigger guys fit in the DB4s. Stuart Crow was pretty stocky and he had the aluminum panels removed completely but David Bruns always insisted that taking them out was a major detriment to the stiffness of the tub so they encouraged people to leave them in. I remember seeing a couple with the panels all beat to hell with a hammer to make more room.... I'm sure that wasn't a very good solution either.
    Regards,
    Steve O'Hara

Thread Information