Liked: 0

Default sub axles needed

I have a 1982 Van Diemen, which started life as a FF and is now an FC. I need two rear sub axles. Anyone? I can provide a photo to match. Best, Richard. rgray.izoom@cox.net or 602-494-6464.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 935

If push comes to shove, Dour at Fast forward makes the best.

He is reasonable, but not cheap.

And his quality is second to none.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Sub Axles?

Are you talking about the drive axles (from CV joint to CV joint) OR "Stub" axles? Thats the part in the gearbox that the CV's bolt onto or the drive axles out in the rear Uprights?

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default sub axles.

Richard is looking for the rear axles that go thru the rear Uprights on his car. Anyone here that knows something about them should PM him.

Liked: 123

The first thing I would do is try Universal Racing over in England. The second thing I would do, if they use the same wheel bearings as our FR83, is consider engineering a change to the rear upright setup. The bearings are expensive and hard to find, so when I get faced with that I start to look at options.

The option I thought of was to find an easily available rear axle setup that had the right geometry, and that I could sleeve the VD upright down to fit a slightly smaller OD rear bearing. I would shrink in a steel sleeve into the upright, lock it in place, and press in the new bearing and retain it with a snap ring. I was probably going to look at other VD axles or DB1 or something that used a CV joint bell, where I knew that someone was making axles.

BTW, do you need the whole thing (there's about 4 or 5 pieces to it) or just the drawbolt that holds it all together and the centerlock wheel nut threads on to?

Brian

Richard,
    I have two axles that came with my reynard roller.
    They are too short for my use and dont appear to have ever been installed.
    Dimensions are as follows:
    Length 16 3/8"
    OD 1"
    Spline depth 1 1/8"
    Spline count 33
    Pics attached
    If anyone has a need for these, feel free to make a REASONABLE offer.
    Jeff
    Last edited by JHandley; 04.12.08 at 11:47 AM.
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF
    cainesgrandad@yahoo.com ยท www.reynardowners.com
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."Roger Penske

Liked: 18

Default Looking as well

I also have an 82 Van Diemen ff , and am looking for some parts to complete a spare upright. I have found a source, albeit expensive, for the original wheel bearing, but I need the outer drive flange for the upright. Universal in England is who I am told is the source for such old parts, I just have not pursued it yet. Alan

Kieth Avrill has the correct wheel bearings. Universal has the rest of it. Price is expensive ,but so is custom machine work . Tom Guthrie VD rf82

Thread Information