Liked: 0

Default Vintage formula Ford racing.

I live in Georgia and I'm thinking of getting into vintage FF racing. If I buy a car I would like to get into at least three races a year in a 500 mile radius of Georgia. If I can't get in at least three races a year, I'm willing to try another class car. I have tried to contact the Atlanta branch SCCA by email and phone, no response. Any FF racers oout there that can point me in the right direction?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Under "Forums" check "Independent Racing Organizations." Also, you will be welcome to race with SOVREN here in the NW, but we are a bit more than 500 miles. You have a good idea racing Vintage. Check the local rules of the organization that you plan to race with before you buy the car.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default Vintage Race Organizations

I suggest you contact the Vintage clubs that operate in your area such as:

Vintage Drivers Club of America:

http://www.vintagedrive.com/

Sportscar Vintage Racing Association:

http://www.svra.com/

Perhaps even Vintage Racer Group:

http://www.vrgonline.org/

You'll have no problem finding races within your desired distances with any of these three organizations at Road Atlanta, Savannah, VIR, and Summit Point. All three will welcome both historic and club Fords. Also suggest you contact Monoposto Racing:

http://www.monoposto.com/

Most organizations use their rulebook as a guide. Although Monoposto do not organize races they choose selected events for their calendar. Best of all membership with Monoposto is free. You will require a licence from one of the clubs to participate in the events.

Rob

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 298

The Vintage Motorsports Council has a map of all vintage organizations so you can see who else might be in your area.

http://www.the-vmc.com/member_orgs.htm

Liked: 23

The SCCA doesn't have a "vintage FF" class, but they do have a Club Ford class for older formula fords usually requiring a harder compound tire. The Club Fords are fast, raced hard, but may not be as competetive as the later aero cars. Most are usually updated with modern shocks, wheels, and such, but may not be not quite period correct for true vintage racing. If you want to run in a vintage club, something like VRG is fine.
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Liked: 41

You are basically in the middle of an area with easy access to Road Atlanta, Carolina Motorsports Park, Roebling Road and Barber. There is also an active Time Trials program tat runs at these tracks plus TGPR.

Contact Butch Kummer directly at butch<at>b-k-racing.com
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

V.R.G.'s annual "Turkey Bowl" is this coming weekend at Summit Point (WVa)... that's about 600 miles from Atlanta. Most likely only three to five vintage Formula Fords will be entered, but on the other hand it's an especially laid back and friendly event. You'd have an opportunity to meet some racers, talk to them about their cars, etc.

vdca will be at roebling road the 2nd week of december We will be racing vintage ff and cf.
    79 Van Diemen FF/CF

Liked: 13

BGB1996; If the Summit Point, WV event on the thanksgiving event (The Turkey Bowl) is on your "travel to" list, I would suggest you go to the Formula Haus garage
    (304-725-4644) there at the track as there will be a wealth of info there for you, plus there are some good formula cars there for sale.

Default Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    The Vintage Motorsports Council has a map of all vintage organizations so you can see who else might be in your area.

http://www.the-vmc.com/member_orgs.htm
    Sorry for the delay in a response, I am just now recovering from Skippy school at Road Atlanta. This site will probably help point me in the right direction and get me some seat time.

Billy Byrd

A friend of mine just moved to the Valdosta area and he told me he was looking into an organization called NASA. He said that it was one of the clubs that he would come away with spending a bit less than some others for membership and race fees. All were more expensive than what we are used to with our current club in Tx.

I just looked at NASA website and it looked like modern cars. Sorry.
    Last edited by Mariomark; 01.17.12 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Bad info

Thread Information