Thread: Clutch problems

Liked: 0

Default Clutch problems

I put my FF1600 up several months ago and now the clutch won't disengage. No leaks, reservoir full and piston arm moves back and forth.

Liked: 592

Default Clutch problem

I assume you have a metalic racing clutch.
    And if you do and it got wet last time out (car wash), then it probably stuck (rust) to the flywheel.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 10

One stock type clutch in my street Lotus Europa used to do this in humid NC air. I don't recall all the simple techniques that sometimes worked using the starter, etc. However, the real solution was to tap a narrow putty knife or similar between the clutch face and the flywheel/pressure plate in several locations. Fortunately there was an access window that allowed access. My understanding was that this was a common problem with some clutch materials. Rust or ???.

Dick

Liked: 19

sifty, never heard of that.....assuming you have the outside lever to vew and you know it is in fully activated position.....you could tie a nylon tow strap to rollbar, put in nuetral(Whoops!! Correction- put in gear) and push clutch in fully, and have someone tow you to break it loose, maybe a quick modest light jerk pull....then just use clutch after that to clean up.....buuuut, you have to make sure you are fully actuated....never done this but sounds like it would break loose a light rust bonding and get past problem without splitting the dern thing.....engine may turn over so easy forward pull so cam belt doesn't jump tooth......or do same, with guy in car with clutch in and in gear, someone attempts to roll tire forward, like rolling engine over to do valves by rolling car in gear but with clutch in.....good luck!!
    Last edited by Modo; 08.10.12 at 3:23 PM. Reason: in gear!!

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Or put the back wheels up in the air.

Start it in gear.

Put clutch n and apply brakes and sufficient throttle to keep engine running and break it loose that way.

Thread Information