Ok ..I finally have time after the delivery of the Lotus 61 and I have decided to begin looking at the small stuff as well as the big stuff that looks "wrong" and trying to fix it before taking the car for a shakedown. I have not found a manual yet..that will give me torque specs etcc.so I am applying some common sense (always dangerous when dealing with some British stuff...and I am English so I know what I am talking about..) and hope to be able to get some good advice from this forum. ...So here goes.
1) The driveshafts on the car are too short. Yes I know that the car drove for two dozen years with the wrong drive shafts...but having no less than 7 stacked washers between each of the bolts, the flexible dough nuts and the gearbox drives just rubs me the wrong way. Am I nuts???I have looked on Lee Chapman Racing's site and found the "right' drives 12.75" that will put me in the right range. Those and a set of axel savers are planned for installation. (Is there another source of half shafts that I should be looking at? Because they are not cheap..)
2) Whats the best way of getting started to take these drives off..take the wheel off, work your way from the upright inwards? (sorry pretty basic stuff I know..) Does that mean that the entire assembly, hub, ujoints, half shaft has to be removed as a piece and then pressed apart?)
3) As I have the assembly apart should I replace the Ujoints and the rubber doughnuts?
they look "ok" as in the rubber does not look perished..but what is a good rule of thumb?
4) The left rear upright was damaged and welded up. The damage occurred when the car was a Russell School car ..(I have been told) and it has been fine since then. I have been told..no matter what just replace it..even if you do have it crack tested and it passes. I have looked at Dave Bean's site and seen them..I can buy one but am I being paranoid?
(Again..I understand safer is smarter in the long run and no one will be held accountable if they say keep it...and it sheers on me when I go round my first corner.)
All advice appreciated, all opinions welcome. I hope the forum will not get too bored with my torrent of questions.
Cheers,
JP