Liked: 0

Default Merlyn 11A Formula Ford article

I thought you guys might enjoy seeing this brand new article about the design, construction and preparation of
    Dave Fairchild's Merlyn 11A (including 44 big color photos)

I'm still pretty low on the Formula Ford learning curve. Let me know if you spot any errors in my write-up.

preview photos:

Liked: 106

Very nice write up for a nice car Curtis. The only thing I noticed, is that I believe the stressed skin definition is 'attached on 6 inch centers', not the 5 inch mentioned in the article. I don't know if that has changed over the years from when the Merlyn was built or not though.

Hope to see you at the VARAC vintage festival (or Montreal F1 if you're there) again this year. A couple new cars as well.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Liked: 123

I didn't know that donut inboard joints were specified as required, I just think they were common. I also don't think the steel bulkheads on the side of the foot well are legal, they are stressed panels where no stressed panels are allowed, and not stock to an 11A as far as I know. Nice writeup, though.

Brian

Thank you, gents. Especially great to hear from you Gary - would love to see you at the races again but haven't nailed down our Canadian-vacation schedule yet - I want to get a write-up put together about your Reynard!

I expect you're right about rivets and donuts, but about those footbox sides...

This is Howard Freeman's 11 - and obviously it has diagonals - but it's seen a number of hard shunts so it might not be original:

On the other hand, this is Bernard Bradpiece's 11A - which I'm told has survived with very few mods over its life. (Original nosecone even.) Interestingly, notice that Bradpiece's 11A doesn't have a bulkhead between footbox and master cylinders but it has steel side panels cut just like Dave Fairchild's.

Liked: 592

Default Merlyn 11A

With water and in some cases, oil passing through the main frame tubes, you can't rivet anything to them. The only solid floor (and sides) was in the foot/pedal area on my Titan Mk6A, and as I recall (40 years ago), it was steel and attached by welding (brazing). From just behind that spot and on back, the only thing below you was the one-piece fiberglass shell, that snapped over the upper frame rails. If that was torn off, you had a real close view of the track. I think that's why they had no problem with the steel foot pedal area.
    I have seen it on other vehicle from that era.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default genealogy

as i recall the Merlyn 11A was the progenitor of the Autodynamics (Caldwell) D9B FF

anybody from the Marblehead gang care to comment?

Meryln also built a few gorgeous sports racers that rivaled the Lotus 23 and Elva 7

Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default Well Done!

My first Formula Ford was a Merlyn Mk 11A purchased from Tom Gloy racing in 1975. It had the Mk20 body, which was a common conversion back then. I don't remember the top side mounted throttle pedal, but that was a few years ago and I'd have to go back and look at the photo collection I took. The rubber donuts were standard. The front mounted oil tank had no shrouding. These were great cars, just read about Jody Schekter and his "Magic Merlyn" some time!
    Oh, the coolant traveling from the front radiator through the frame rails made sure you didn't get cold on a cool day!

Thanks gentlemen! Bit by bit, I'm learning about these cars. This weekend I got out to some regional SCCA races and photographed four newer Formula Fords (Crossle 55, Lola 540 wide, Reynard FF82, and a Mondial) - but before I even download my camera I thought I'd publish another set of 11A photos. It might be interesting to look for more differences... Let me know what I missed or got wrong in the captions. Thanks!

Bernard Bradpiece's Merlyn 11A (48 photos)

preview:

Liked: 7

FWIW, my Mk11a does not have the steel side panels in the footwell, just the diagonals (looks just like Howard's)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

Curtis, I was curious about the anti-roll bar mounts. They seem to be one piece, not the usual split block, so how does it slide over the bends in the bar?
    Steve

Liked: 123

What calipers are those on Brad's car? They aren't familiar to me. They look like they aren't cast iron, they look more like mag.

Brian

Liked: 55

As stated on the features and specifications page.

Front, Girling 14 SP
    Rear Girling 12 SP

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
    Curtis, I was curious about the anti-roll bar mounts. They seem to be one piece, not the usual split block, so how does it slide over the bends in the bar?
    Steve
    They are slid on before bending the bar to shape.

Dave C.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

That's interesting, thanks Dave. I guess when they wear out you either cut them off, or replace the whole bar.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
    That's interesting, thanks Dave. I guess when they wear out you either cut them off, or replace the whole bar.
    If it's any consolation, being steel they shouldn't wear as quickly as if they were aluminum. That said, I'm pretty sure the 11A's original builders didn't expect anyone would be racing one 32 years later!

Following up on the footbox question... I had a close look at two more sets of photos the other night: Nick Kachur's 11A has welded-on steel panels whereas James VanDuerzen's 17 has tubular diagonals like the 11 shown above. There's probably a logical reason for the variation. I guess it's time for me to get in touch with C.R.D.

Liked: 4

Thanks very much for posting the two articles on Merlyn 11As.

I recently purchased a 1969 Merlyn 11A chassis #246 to race with CVAR. It has the diagonal tubes without the stressed panels. I did receive two three ring binders of "history" on the car and it looks like this is the original configuration for the car. I also have a throttle pedal that hinges from the floor, which differs from the cars shown and my oil tank (a Merlyn piece) is front mounted; the battery is on the front left side of the engine.

One wonders if some of these things were running changes made at CRD.

Clive at CRD/Merlyn replied quickly to a couple of e-mails I sent him.

Thanks!

Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    One wonders if some of these things were running changes made at CRD.
    They must have been. Also, CRD may have deliberately varied the design for different customers, for different export markets (possibly with different rulebooks), etc. It's even possible that an importer modified cars before they got to customers. For example, I understand Bill Scott modified every Royale he imported to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Clive at CRD/Merlyn replied quickly to a couple of e-mails I sent him.
    I've heard from several people that Clive is exceptionally generous with his help. I just e-mailed him an embarrassingly long and rambling list of questions. I hope I didn't overdo it!

Well... I've just published another set of Merlyn photos!

Howard Freeman's Merlyn Eleven Formula Ford (61 photos)

There are probably errors or omissions in the captions. If you spot any, please let me know. I'll be happy to make corrections and updates.

Question: can you help me positively i.d. this shock absorber? Make? Model? Single or double adjustable?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wirtz View Post
    As stated on the features and specifications page.

Front, Girling 14 SP
    Rear Girling 12 SP

A lot of these are Cad or Nickel Zinc plated which gives them an alloy look. The Caliper descriptions on a few Cars have been corrected from 14SP to 14LF as there never was a 14SP Girling Caliper..

Thread Information