Liked: 2

Default unidentified Formula ford

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alansar...n/photostream/ .discover that bunch of photos today and so as the photograph im puzzle about those two cars ,specially that the pictures are from mosport 1988

Liked: 0

Car number 2 on the right was a canadian built car called a tsunami the driver
    and builder was Bob Macalum from Toronto.

Liked: 143

car #7 looks like a Zink Z-10 Rex Gunning nose

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEW1 View Post
    Car number 2 on the right was a canadian built car called a tsunami the driver
    and builder was Bob Macalum from Toronto.
    http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v...87-10.jpg.html well its possible but i was wandering if it wasnt a Mondiale and then i discover that ??
    Last edited by philippe C; 05.12.11 at 5:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fairchild View Post
    car #7 looks like a Zink Z-10 Rex Gunning nose
    or a viking .but in both case the side pod are different lookalike and predating the 93 vector

Liked: 15

#7 maybe a Ferret?

Liked: 1845

#7 is definetely not a Z10 - not even close.

The roll hoop bears a strong resemblence to a Reynard.

Liked: 190

Here is my vote:

# 7 is a Ferret and # 2 is a Tsunami

However, the second # 2 in the attached photo is something all together different. The photo being taken at a '87 National at Brainered, maybe a Jim Nash or similar local FF guy could identify what appears to be a pretty cool looking homebuilt or highly modified FF.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.27.13 at 3:32 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1461

The bastard child of a menage'a trois between an eagle, a 84 van diemen, and a 85 Reynard.........

Liked: 65

I really enjoyed going through those pictures. Shots from the Lawnmower GP were great. I had forgotten all about it. I had just gotten involved in racing in '87. Given my interest in open wheel race car design I think I would have noticed the "stretch limo" #2 FF. I must not have been there and I have no idea what it is.

Jim

Default "I built it one piece at a time"

I think Rick is correct. This is a car potentially made up of "chunks" of many other cars. The frame/driving position/roll bar make me think Lola T-440 (w/o bellhousing spacer) while the tail looks eagle-ish. Very strange, I like it

I wonder how much the driver head moved around at speed?

Jim, I'm sure somebody from the twin cities area knows the car, it's just too strange for someone not to remember it.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 7

Default Tsunami

Car # 7 is a Ferret. See http://www.ferretindustries.ca/

Car #2 is Tsunami chassis #1, built and raced by Robert McCallum of Ontario, Canada in around 1983. Pretty sure that is him driving in the picture. He still has the car and is currently restoring it for his daughter to race.

I visited Bob last month because I own Tsunami chassis #2. I delivered to him what is left of a much raced, much modified car and he is going to perform a ground up restoration on my car too. Hopefully both cars will be back on the track in 2013.

These were pretty good cars in the day, competitive with just about anything. The chassis and suspension design is pretty well all Bob McCallum. It all came out of his head.

PS, I could be wrong about the car pictured at Brainerd. I recall Bob told me last month that he was driving my car (chassis #2) at Brainerd when he had a big accident with it.

I stand corrected. All of those pictures are of Tsunami chassis #2 (my car). Apparently anytime you see the race number "2" on the car it is my car.

Fascinating stuff!

Daniel

Daniel,

Are you sure on the Brainerd car? The roll bar contsruction looks completely different. Or maybe that was one of the many things changed/modified over it's life? The Brainerd car just looks different.
    Bill Bonow

well so far now we know that #2 car at mosport is a Tsunami.. theres a really good chance that the other car is a ferret ,a later type of ferret had pushrod front suspension ,but i never saw anywhere a ferret with those sidepods and nose. so i have send the link a picture to the contact people of ferret industries . for the other car at brainerd probably a homemade special . theres probably somewhere some listing of those event SCCA??

Quite sure, but I will check with Bob for the last word.

Daniel

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4302

I expect Brian Graham or Jon Hirst can confirm, but I would suggest that the 1st pic is a Ferret that was bastardized/modified/developed by Gunther Schmidt for a while and has since been returned to original Ferret specs.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I expect Brian Graham or Jon Hirst can confirm, but I would suggest that the 1st pic is a Ferret that was bastardized/modified/developed by Gunther Schmidt for a while and has since been returned to original Ferret specs.
    I would agree with most of that Greg. The bodywork threw me at first but the fabricated uprights look identical to mine. Jon would know for sure but I believe this is the "Scratch" car, Mk 4 chassis #1. I am not sure what he did for cooling as the original design had side pods with rads in each. The chassis still exists (although heavily modified/damaged) with most of the jigs to rebuild it. It would be a huge effort but a great car with an amazing track record.

Tony Cove (Ferret Mk4 chassis 3)
    Last edited by flat broke; 05.14.11 at 12:44 AM.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4302

The Toltons #39 Tsunami (in other pics) is actually Daniel's car and the #2 was Bob's. I raced the #39 as the RiceRacePrep #13 in 1990 before it disappeared out west .... eventually coming East and ending up in Nova Scotia as a winged Libre car with some bizaar engine.

Would the #2 from Brainerd be an Anson with a cut down tail?
    Last edited by problemchild; 05.13.11 at 4:47 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Not much more to add, it is the ex-Scratch/Steve Wagland Ferret, chassis #1 (circa 1974).
    Gunter converted it to inboard suspension front and rear and moved the radiator in front of the engine ala DB1, eliminating the side pods as a result.

Gunter being better known for his Volkswagon sedans around Mosport, modified the rear suspension using VW hubs from the front of a Golf and axles from a Fox. The rad and wheels were Scirocco. He finished 9th in the Becker Series in 88, and 10th in 1989.

It never went as well as it did in the original trim. The car was never returned to original before being disassembled.

Here is another, poor picture.

And another of Gunters Ferret mounting Chassis #4,driven by Jim Dodson, the car I now own.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    .... eventually coming East and ending up in Nova Scotia as a winged Libre car with some bizaar engine.
    Tsunami (chassis) #2 ran libre with a normally aspirated Toyota 4A-GE; a departure from standard FF power, but not exactly bizarre, especially in light of recent changes (Honda) in FF... The car was modified and campaigned in Nova Scotia by husband/wife duo Pat and Linda Neal; Pat was the wrench, Linda the steerer. The car was in fine fettle when it was in the Neal's care, but with each successive hand it passed through - 3 in all before purchase by the current owner - it got progessively seedier. Good to see it is being restored and preserved. I will forward this thread to Pat and he may weigh in with some more history.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by philippe C View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alansar...n/photostream/ .discover that bunch of photos today and so as the photograph im puzzle about those two cars ,specially that the pictures are from mosport 1988
    Thanks for all the interest and info regarding my photos. Now I can put a few more names and details to the pictures when I find the time. The negs have been sitting in a drawer for about 20 odd years and to be honest were in pretty poor condition.
    I think the meeting was the SCCA finals in 1988. Unfortunately I've lost the program so was having to guess one or two of names.

Many thanks,

Alan Raine

Liked: 43

An interesting source of archived race results can be found here.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/

While it is not complete, I am sure they would love to have additional race results, photos, and information.

interesting site, but with not much data on national formula car series like formula ford .B super vee ect scca .casc or others .theres plenty of good site very well done on F2-F3 and other european formula cars series but for north american series those site dont exist yet and have to be done

here another strange document

Very funny.

BTW, since we both live in the same city, just who is Philippe C?

Daniel Thompson

i was involve in motorsport here in Quebec in the 70s and 80s . a lot of Karting some road racing depending on the money and a lot of 'official " work too for FAQ then then the organiser of about everything in quebec including the F1 labatt grand prix, work as a full time artist abstract painting for more then 20 years now. always fiddle with the idea to come back to racing in historic fford could be super vee (the early one ) . i still know a lot of very competent people who can take care of the car but its my health that i dont trust . i had many big health problem in the last 10 years . so right now i just do amateur history work like to gather all i could find on FF to try to do "maybe" a better and improve fford book
    Last edited by philippe C; 01.21.12 at 10:08 AM.

to come back to the unidentified white car of brainerd, someone have suggest an Anson . well it would be a a vey modified one . not only the fairing in the back is different . but the rear suspensions are different too . so as the radiators intakes and positions

The right hand picture #2 is indeed the Tsunami which I designed, built and raced for many years and which I'm driving in the picture. Daniel is incorrect about any pictures with competition #2 being his car as I raced dozens of events over several years running number 2. A better way to identify the two cars apart (and there were only two ever built) is that the "white" car is chassis 001 (the original) and the "coloured" car is chassis 002. To the best of my knowledge chassis 002 has always been painted (I'm aware of red, blue, and back to red with possibly other colours over its many owners) while my car, chassis 001, has always been, and still is, white.

Bob McCallum

can you elaborate on the story and the genesis of the tsunami .and pictures too .it would be very appeciate

Thread Information