Liked: 0

Default Tire installation.

What kind of tire machine works best for formula ford tires?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Tire Mounting

Your question is a little vague. Are you referring to general mounting instructions and precautions for one who is looking for an inexpensive machine for home use or one more suitable for the professional as in heavy duty use.

Here are the instructions received from Panasport:

Mounting the tire on the wheels
    1) All PANASPORT WHEELS are for use with tubeless type tires. When installing the air valve stem on the wheel, care must be taken to insure a tight, leak-proof fit.
    2) For easy mounting of the tire and less danger of wheel damage, apply a good tire lube on the bead.
    3) Conventional tire mounting equipment may be used to mount the tire, however, extra care must be taken to protect the rim flange and finish of the wheel from damage.
    4) Do NOT inflate the tire over the maximum rating of 40 psi. If the tire is not properly mounted, even though the pressure may have reached and appears capable of being maintained at 40 psi, repeat the installation procedure from the beginning.

From my own experience, while I never mount my own tires, I have never observed a professional that is familiar with these wheels have any difficulty.

Any questions call FORMULA MAG 310-373-9971

Liked: 123

Post is in Monoposto/vintage so one assumes the Dunlop metric FFord tires. These are very easy to mount and balance, I've done dozens. If you want a really good manual machine, the Kraus machine does them effortlessly. If you want a dead cheap manual machine, the Harbor Freight machine does them fine (that's what I use). The HF bubble balancer works fine as well. A good upgrade is to get the HF machine, but buy the Kraus tire lever, since it is way better. Use stick on weights, and put a little aluminium tape over them.

Brian

The tires I am having problems getting mounted are the Goodyear slicks. I live in a smallish town where everyone with a tire shop can install any tire except tires that extend far past the rim. I know I can get them mounted in Dallas, but that is 3 hr drive. If gas money will buy a simple tire machine that will work I might as well buy one and learn to do it myself.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

The HF machine works fine.

Just make it lots easier by bolting it to the floor. I borrowed one and was amazed how much easier it was when I finally bolted itdown.

Thanks, I figured that would be the case. HF no longer has them listed but Amazon does. I might as well buy one and be able to do them myself.

HF machine works great. Just set the tires in the sun for a little while to soften em up which makes it super easy
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Thread Information