Liked: 6

Default Royale RP16 Identification & Parts

I posted some time ago regarding historical information about Richard Tipton’s Royale RP16 FF I purchased from Larry Haynes this past summer, as there is no logbook for the car. I was trying to find out the chassis number it might be and seeking a few parts needed for the ongoing restoration. Based on some responses received and additional research, I now believe it is either chassis #19 or #20 (probably #19), imported by Dick Schmer (now deceased) of Ft.Collins, CO. The attached pictures are likely of this car as it existed in the 1978-1980 time-frame owned and raced by Steve Dreizler as car number 7 or 47. Steve does not remember who purchased the car from him. A distinguishing feature of the car is a shifter modification adapted from a Lola T440. If anyone is familiar with this car or an RP16 with chassis #19 or #20, I would appreciate a response or PM with the applicable information. Based on layers of paint I have stripped off, in addition to the black/multi-striped colors shown in the pictures, the car has also been painted white, red, maroon, and gray.

As far as parts go, I am looking for a rear hub stub axle and yoke (or the vehicle name/part they were sourced from), a pair of driveshafts (inboard brake configuration), and a mid-body top section. I have found a fabricator that can build the driveshafts for a reasonable price, but would prefer factory original parts if possible.

Best regards,

Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 0

Default Royale RP-16

Lowell, Like you, I recently (three weeks ago) purchased a Royale RP-16. My car is chassis 38 and was fabricated in 1973. Can't help you with the actual parts required for your car but can provide photos and/or measurements from mine, if needed. Old #38 has been in storage for over ten years and requires a significant amount of rebuild. Unlike you, I have never raced FF. This is my 'Voyage of Discovery." Step one: Get a car that runs and is safe. Mine does not and is not. My chassis plate is located on an inside frame member just to the right of the steering wheel. I've attached a photo of my damaged chassis plate, a good plate from another car, and my car with some of the body removed.

Drop me an email at don_sandy_gibson@msn.com and we can discuss the joy and frustration of owning a Royale RP-16.

Cheers, Don Gibson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 322

Don

is yours the one that recently sold on eBay? Doesn't look like you need much to get it going. Curious, what do you consider 'unsafe' on your car?

I'm in the same boat as Lowell, my chassis plate was 'lost' and the old SCCA logbook/number hasn't helped track it down. Mine came out of Texas as well, and spent it's early life in Colorado and California.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by DTG View Post
    Lowell, Like you, I recently (three weeks ago) purchased a Royale RP-16. My car is chassis 38 and was fabricated in 1973. Can't help you with the actual parts required for your car but can provide photos and/or measurements from mine, if needed. Old #38 has been in storage for over ten years and requires a significant amount of rebuild. Unlike you, I have never raced FF. This is my 'Voyage of Discovery." Step one: Get a car that runs and is safe. Mine does not and is not. My chassis plate is located on an inside frame member just to the right of the steering wheel. I've attached a photo of my damaged chassis plate, a good plate from another car, and my car with some of the body removed.

Drop me an email at don_sandy_gibson@msn.com and we can discuss the joy and frustration of owning a Royale RP-16.

Cheers, Don Gibson
    I hope that RR is chucked, wouldn't want her to roll off. Welcome to FF and good luck with the build

Liked: 280

Default Royale RP16 Identification & Parts

Hi,

Have you tried to contact Christopher Shoemaker at www.royaleracingllc.com? I met Chris at the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point and he has an RP16. He was working with the Royale folks in England on some type of consolidation effort, but he told me that he has parts for many of the Royale variants. Give him a try.

Joe Marcinski
    Royale RP24

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

I think most of the chassis have an AM number stamped on them that might help ID them. AM standing for Arch Motors, the actual chassis builders.
    On the '72 RP14 SV we had in the shop it was located at the bottom of the roll bar brace on the rear cross member.
    That stamping was : "AM 72 SV 14" I assume that means 1972 SV #14 as the Royale plate shows RP14-14.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 17

Kjell might be able to help you with photos etc for your restoration.

http://fyrtiotalist.com/formel-ford.html

"Trying is the first step towards faliure"
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Thread Information