Liked: 17

Default Best US vintage FF1600 event?

Hi
    Which Is the best FF1600 event in the US for vintage cars (ie pre-74/80 that run on Dunlop CR82 or Avon ACB9)?
    Best track/most cars?

/Henrik
    "Trying is the first step towards faliure"
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Liked: 207

My guess will be the upcoming SVRA event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in June.

After that, I would look at the July event at Pittsburgh International which features an FF only race. Nice....
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 245

I'll second the SVRA Indy event in June. How often do you get to drive on the Indianapolis motor speedway? I will be there from California.

Liked: 11

Henrik ,

Ralph and Todd (hey Todd) may be onto something with the Indy choice. The "new" SVRA is certainly on an incredible roll, getting the F1 COTA track last year and getting the INDY track this year.

All I can say is that the COTA event last year was an amazing experience – I'm a big F1 fan, so that helped. Also, I attended the inaugural race there two years ago, the first F! race I attended in person, so I already had a great connection to the track. It was pretty surreal to watch the second annual F1 race – two weeks after the SVRA race –*and watch Alonso take MY line through turn 17 (maybe one of the reasons why he didn't win the race…). I just couldn't believe I was actually on that track. Which will be a similar feeling at Indy, I'm sure.

But…compared to Indy, COTA is a purpose-built formula car track while Indy is an oval with an infield appendage, like California Speedway and the not-missed Phoenix Raceway. Granted – it's the most famous oval track in history! And there's a great museum there too – there's no doubt it will be a great overall experience. I just have a feeling that for the on-track-racing experience, COTA may have the edge. Austin is a very cool town, too. The ultimate choice? Both!

I assume SVRA will run the the Indy race like the COTA race – combined FB and FF classes. There were about 40-odd cars in the group. I've never seen so many FB cars ever. The main thing that was missing was a higher count of the extremely talented Southern California racers that made HSR/SVRA-West's "The Series" such a success. (Granted, it's a long haul, and lots of So Cal VFF racers have been running the slicks for the past couple years so the FF and CF cars would be more equalized, and it's a tough call to buy a set of $1,000 Dunlops for one race).

One thing is for sure –*last year, there was no better Formula Ford race in the country than the SVRA race at COTA. This year? Two VERY good choices.

One thing to know: at the COTA event (and I assume this will for the Indy race as well), because of the high number of overall entries, and the "special event" nature of the race, the groups are split between having their final practices & races on either Saturday or Sunday (like at Monterey), so because of this, the race "weekend" actually starts on Wednesday (or is it Thursday?). So know it's a bigger time commitment than an ordinary race weekend. The advantages are that you get to have a "night out" on either Friday or Saturday night, and that you can see a full day of racing as a spectator on your "off" day (if you're lucky enough to not have to work on the car). The disadvantage? Needing more time off from work!

Also, I believe the Monoposto Rules (and SVRA) definition of a Vintage Formula Ford is 1972 and earlier, not 1974. However, it may be possible to get an early Club Ford car accepted if running the Dunlop treaded tires.

Liked: 207

Have to agree with EffOne. I was not at the COTA race but I heard it was something special. A long tow from Ohio so I'm not sure I will get there.

The first race I ever attended was the Indy 500 in 1965. I was 10 years old and saw Jim Clark win. So, Indy is special for me.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 298

Not to belittle the two SVRA events (COTA & Indy) because they will be fantastic events! I don't know what area of the country you are from, but you might consider the RMVR charity event this Aug 1-2 at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. High Plains Raceway is a great 2.5 mile circuit with lots of elevation change.

This race weekend again features invitations to all Formula Fords, even contemporary cars. However, the field of 39 FFs last year was almost entirely vintage ('72 or older) FFs and CFs (up to '81). There were also a few newer cars. We hope to equal or exceed that number of cars this year. Entry fee just $275 with three track sessions each day and a Lapping Day available on Friday (rent from the track) for another $150. Darn good value for the money. Combine the trip with some vacation days visiting to colorful Colorado.

Liked: 27

FYI, I believe the field for Indy is full (but I could be wrong) and was told there were 1000 applicants not all accepted.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 245

Effrain, totally agree that the track at COTA is likely more rewarding than Indy and I am a big F1 fan as well and wanted to go to COTA last year but could not swing it with work schedule. I also missed the 40th at RA a few years ago and continue to kick mself about that. When I heard about Indy I was determined to do it just because it is Indy, and who knows it may be a one time thing (I hope not). That said I also want to get to COTA and will try this year, but if not, next year for sure. 2 long trips inthe same year my be tough to swing. Hope to see you soon, Todd

Liked: 3

The 40th at RA was EPIC, I hope Mr.Rand would be so kind to lend a hand or input for the 50th (hint)

I met so many great people, and RA is a great place to play.
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Hi
    It looks like there is some great events especially the COTA event.

My master plan is to rent a car for my 50th birthday in 2016 and do a race in USA combined with a couple of weeks of vacation.

I'm looking for a FF1600 heat only with some test/practice facilities facilities during Friday to get to know the car and track a bit.

The location is not critical since I will be travelling from Sweden anyway. So the event must be open for international competitors holding a FIA licence.

If possible I would like to attend the meeting or track in advance to check it out.
    I think it will be to expensive to ship my Lotus 61 to the US for a race, but it might be feasible if I found a buyer for it afterwards.

It's a bit early to start planning but recommendations of someone willing to rent out a vintage FF would be appreciated.

/Henrik
    www.hhtech.se
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    It's a bit early to start planning
    Not really. What a wonderful plan!
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Be sure to check with the event organizers before planning.

Some like IMS are by invitation only I recall reading.

Would be a bummer to do all that planning and find out that you can't run.

Steve,
    Good point! I guess that there is an issue that I will have to book flights etc before I get the confirmation that my race application is confirmed. I think I will have to get some kind of promise from the organisers that it will be approved.

/Henrik
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Liked: 25

Default SVRA IMS

Hi Hinrik,
    I suggest that you call SVRA if you are thinking about coming, they should be able to confirm your entry in shirt order before you book your flights.
    From my experience they have been very good to work with

Ii do know that the groups were filling fast, and don't know the specifics for the FF group

You can reach Kathy at 817 521-5158. And she can point you in the right direction

Jeff

Liked: 4

Default Hallett Racing Circuit

Do you want to take a step back in time and enjoy racing the way is was back in the late '60's or the '70's or even the 80's at a family owned and operated track where customer service is foremost? Where it's not going to cost you a house payment just for entry fees? Where the track has just been totally resurfaced and is as smooth as a baby's butt? Where there is elevation change, technically challenging circuit requiring car control and driving skills, a 45th Anniversary Formula Ford Feature Race in addition to four other races Saturday and Sunday? An event where there is a podium celebration with cheap champagne to drink or spray on any one close, waist high trophies for the winners in each of the 3 Formula Ford Classes (FF1, FF2, FF3). The Hallett Racing Circuit in October, yes the same weekend as COTA, is where CVAR is now offering Pre-Registration to reserve a grid spot in one of the Nations best Formula Ford weekends ever!

We went to COTA last year and watched a black Titan out run many of the FB entries, experienced the "load in" with 600 other entries, shelled out a boat load of cash for everything including $500 for the privilege of practicing on Wednesday, with limited track time, and no races on Sunday.

Hallett with CVAR October 10, 11, 12, 2014 is the place to be racing...period! Go to DLB Racing and register now! CVAR is limiting the 45th Anniversary Formula Ford Feature to just 30 Formula Fords total! FF1 Monoposto pre 1972, FF2 Club Fords running slicks pre 1980, and FF3 (the latest Test Vintage Class) pre 1986 running slicks.

Autumn at Hallett in a Formula Ford is almost Heaven. Here is your chance to run with the best on a racing circuit built for our class! A circuit with rhythm, not a "point and shoot" track.

We hope you'll join our party!
    FFR Daytona, '12 F-250, Merlyn '71 Mk 20 FFI
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest!" Mark Twain

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default rental

Hi,
    Does anyone know of someone that do rental vintage FF1600, buissness or private.
    I would like to follow up on results and events during 2015 before deciding on something for my USA trip in 2016.

/ Henrik
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

I'm still looking for a car

/ Henrik
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I'm still looking for a car

/ Henrik
    I received You message, trying for find time to send an e-mail
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Plan aborted / altered
    I won't be able to do a race in US next year.
    I will however try to visit a race meeting during our holiday.
    Thanks for all help.

/ Henrik
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Liked: 13

Default new vintage event... for FF1600

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information