Liked: 4

Default Hewland Pinion Nut Torque?

I just changed gear ratios in a Hewland Mk8 for the first time.

The Hewland manual/book says to torque the pinion nut (upper nut) to 115 ft-lbs and then align for the cotter pin.

I get one hole to line up at 40-50 ft-lbs, at 120 ft-lbs I still haven't lined up with the next slot.

How do you folks tackle this?

Thanks in advance

Angus (who is still on the learning curve)

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Well, 2 options would be to keep cranking till the hole lines up, or remove an appropriate amount of material from the back side of the nut to cause the holes to line up closer to the book torque value (in this case, you may need a selection of nuts in varying thicknesses depending on which gears you put in and how much they vary in thickness). Most people just keep going till it lines up. Hard to say if that is wise or not without seeing it in person.

Liked: 0

Try the search option; this was discussed within the last month or so. Don't over-torque.

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by revtom View Post
    Try the search option; this was discussed within the last month or so. Don't over-torque.

It is my understanding that you cannot over torque them. I have always done what Starkejt described above.

On the LD200, Hewland says 115 lb/ft. I just get it there and if the hole doesn't line up (which they never seem to), I just tighten it more until it does and put in the cotter pins.
    -Nick

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

What he said. or if it is REALLLL close back it off to line the holes up.

Thread Information