Liked: 1

Default February 2006 Fastrack-Addendum, Mallory Distributor

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/Fil...k-addendum.pdf
    page 10

SUBMITTED TO BoD FOR APPROVAL

Please address all comments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. crb@scca.com All proposed rules changes are for next season (effective 11/1/06).

FF
    Item 1. Effective 11/1/06: Change section 17.1.6.D.2.r to read as follows:
    Electrical Equipment - Distributor: Distributors are unrestricted provided the original drive, location, and housing (standard Motorcraft, Bosch, or Lucas) are retained. The distributor is defined as the component that triggers the LT current and distributes the HT current. The ignition timing may only be varied by vacuum and/or mechanical means. It is prohibited to use any other method or component to trigger, distribute, or time the ignition. Standard Motorcraft (Autolite), Bosch, or Lucas, or alternate Mallory #4558101. The vacuum advance mechanism may be removed, and the distributor advance plate may be secured by soldering or welding or by suitable fasteners. The advance curve and advance springs are unrestricted. Generator/ Alternators: not required. All other electrical components are unrestricted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A price and specs of the Mallory I found on the web -Dave http://www.performancecenter.com/aut...al4558101.html

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Picture?

Dave, does the picture look correct to you? I'm thinking I'll need to put a hole in my bellypan to put that distributor in my 1600!

Thanks for posting!

Joe

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Joe,

Based on the picture you need to add some cylinders. BAT also has this in stock. I almost bought one thinking it was already approved. Now I need to go back and re read the rules.

John

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Missed that

I'm glad you said something, I assumed with the heading February Fasttrack it was approved in February for immediate use - I then re-read the post and saw the 11/06 date. Wonder why they put it off a year?

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Mallory Distributor

I sent the proposal to the CRB based on input from Ivey and BAT. The Bosch units are apparently difficult to find and, I was told, are over $500. BAT got Mallory to make a batch of these units and I understand they have sold some - at $439.50 including the electronic bits installed. It's a no-performance increase item and I thought it would simply be put to the CRB and approved - since this is a case where parts availability is improved and costs to the racer reduced! I am baffled as to why the CRB would introduce about 11 months delay into the approval process and I'm inquiring about it. John M.

Liked: 3

How odd. We have new Bosch distributors in stock with the vacuum advance removed (race-prepped) for $439.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=3650

No availability issues right now.

Liked: 0

Default Good move!

Thanks for submtting this change to the Comp Board, John. Not only does this address the replacement parts issues, an optical breakless distributor is subtantially more reliable and accurate in a racing environment than a points-controlled unit.

I hope you can get the Comp Board to move this change to an earlier date!

See you in the spring.

Liked: 18

Default Perhaps misread?

For reasons unknown to me, the Brits and I think all Europeans put the month and day in different order than us 'colonists'. Could we assume that since the engine is of English origin that the rule is effective Jan. 11? But really now I appreciate the effort to make parts available to support the class and other competitors. I do consider the vendors we have relied upon for years to be incredibly knowledgible and helpful, and I hope this is taken as the ability to have a competitive market for parts many of us need.

Liked: 18

Default Oops!

Message previously sent
    Last edited by Alan Oppel; 02.01.06 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Previously sent

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Devol
    an optical breakless distributor is subtantially more reliable and accurate in a racing environment than a points-controlled unit.
    Good Point!

Is there a reason why the Pertronix Ignitor II unit (or equivalent) :

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1330

approved for the 2L distributor not been approved (or a rule change submitted) for the Kent 1.6L Bosch distributor?

I was surprised to find in the SCCA GCR's that you are still required to use points/condenser.

Section D.2.r The ignition timing may only be varied by vacuum and/or mechanical

means. It is prohibited to use any other method or component to trigger, distribute, or time the ignition.

From the CASC G.C.R’s

10.1.6 The only means to trigger the ignition are, one set of mechanical breaker points or a magnetic or optical trigger that serves no other purpose. The trigger shall be located in the distributor and no other external trigger components may be used.

10.1.7 Only a standard, unamplified ignition coil may be used. Electronic ignition is prohibited.”

Seems like a logical submission. It has been approved in Canada for a few years (except for Vintage) and there is no discernable performance advantage (but the timing is a lot steadier). I am just talking about an approved optical trigger, not a MSD or equivalent. I have seen races ruined do to fractured condenser mounts etc.

Curious.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Electronic Ignition

Jonathan, the electronic ignition trigger - Pertronix and others - IS permitted in FF1600. As noted in my post above, the proposed Mallory unit at the cost quoted includes the electronics installed.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Of course it is. I misread the proposal as merely adding another distributor body option (the Mallory). I missed the removal of the requirement of a mechanical trigger.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 309

I am quite certain that this rule went into effect on January 11th...and not November 6th, 2006. In any case, I will be at SCCA HQ this morning and will double-check with the Tech Dept.

Stan Clayton
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

I spoke with Jeremy Thoennes while at SCCA yesterday, and he is checking into it. I'll let you know what I find out.

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1

Stan, Thanks for the info.-Dave

Dave,

The Mallory dizzy should appear as an approved part number in the March Fastrack, due to be published on February 20th. Many thanks to John Merriman for doing the legwork!

Regards, Stan Clayton
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Thread Information