Liked: 0

Default 2006 EWC Schedule Priorities

The first iteration of the 2006 CENDIV schedule is out. Even with the CENDIV split a year away, the schedule is already looking different. As I think about picking events for next year's EWC, I am curious as to what is most important....

* single race groups for FF/CFF?
    * early race group?
    * specific tracks?
    * three-to-four week cadence between races?
    * other considerations?

Everyone's opinion is welcome but EWC regulars will, of course, get more weight. I'll attach a .pdf file of the 2006 CENDIV schedule to this thread tonight.

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com
    Last edited by Steve B; 08.28.07 at 7:13 AM.

Liked: 23

[size=1]My opinion is that the priorities for selecting dates would be:[/size]

[size=1]Being in Group 1[/size]
    [size=1]3-4 week cadence.[/size]
    [size=1]Being in a group with only FF/CFFs[/size]
    and lastly tracks. The tracks in CenDiv are all really good.

One thing to throw out for discussion is, should EWC continue to be a series within a regional series? Lets face it, FF numbers are down nationally, should we try to bring our numbers to 4 nationals a year? Perhaps May at BHF, June at MO, July at the Cat & August at Grattan? We could obviously recognize the CFF race with tropies ourselves as the regions won't. We would also want to segregate the EWC usuals from the Natioanl usuals for the contingencies, but its not exactly evident to me now how we could do that so that its fair to all involved.

I realize there would be fewer actual races, but track time would remain about the same.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 4

As long as we are throwing ideas out there.....and also realizing that everybody probably doesn't have a national comp. license. How about adding the June Sprints as a 5th event and counting it as a double points "Formula Ford championship" within the EWC. The thing that is the most attractive about the EWC is the track time and the car counts. Then Steve, you could consider dropping the worst two finishes since there would be 10 races and would allow a racer to miss one weekend and still be in the points hunt.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

My priorities would be:

- Evenly spaced throughout the season (which is probably the same as saying 3-4 wk cadence)
    - No repeat visits to any track
    - FF/CFF only race group

Liked: 3

Just a thought, maybe it's too late, but as long as we're talking about Nationals -- how about a "restricted regional" with CFF as the added Regional class? The Cat National in July (Road America) has had an added Spec Miata race, but SM is a National class for '06 and it's still listed as a RR. Licenses wouldn't be an issue if we could swing that.

Liked: 9

1. treaded tires
    2. engine claiming rule
    3. standing starts
    4. heat races

Just kinding! (only on #2,3, and 4)

I agree with Tim and Andy that adding a National or two will help the class in general and bring the EWC another dimension of excitement. Many of us formula ford drivers are on the fence between running nationals and EWC. It is hard for myself finacially to run both. I like to run June Sprints for the "rock-star status" and for family and friends. The funny thing is, EWC was so much better than the sprints this year. Can we combine the two? My preferences are..

1. Nationals
    2. once a month
    3. bigger parties on saturday night (like the harvey's party in elkhart lake
    4. treaded tires

Tad Lenhart
    Last edited by lenhart05; 11.16.05 at 10:43 PM.

Liked: 48

If we can get enough cars, then I suggest going with heat races and a last chance race that everyone is invited to prior to the main event which everyone is also invited to!

I say hell yeah to the treaded tires. I burned off all of my front tires during my last race and could not get the car to break into the corners, the extra tread would have helped. Ask John Vlasis about that one.
    YES TO THE TREAD!

Standing Start - lets go for it! Oh did I forget, we also need really hot grid girls holding up number signs. Manditory gogo boots and G string.

Saturday night at a local oval track once during the season.

Definately June Sprints as fifth weekend with points options.

Dropping the worst two finishes is also a brillant idea which allows you to stay in the points and please the wife when you need to go to some no talent ass clown's wedding during the race season.

I'll try to write up a proposal for the treaded tire idea that several guys are interested in running.

Ian Lenhart
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default Treaded Tires

Ian,
    I would like to talk to you about the treaded tires, when you get a chance email or give me a call.

Jon Adams
    jon.adams@gm.com
    248-685-6858 (work)

Liked: 313

I looked at the schedule and it looks like we can do pretty much the same as last year.
    I would consider adding a race at Gingerman June 17-18 or add Indy May 6-7. Both Gingerman and Indy are almost nuetral ground between east and west.
    I can't see running at national weekends so it's a totally different format.

Dave Harmison

If an early East date is added, how about looking at the Milwaukee Region event at the Milwaukee Mile infield road course on Labor Day weekend for an added West date?

Liked: 2

I thought that Steve was already taking best 6 of 8 finishes in the final points, maybe that was previous years. I think if another date was added, then the points should be best 8 of 10 finishes. I would not expand the schedule too much yet, as how many people have actually done the complete 4 race weekends to date. I don't think it has been too many so far. An extra date at one of Dave's suggested tracks would help those in the series that may want to compete for the points but don't want to make a long drive to one of the current outlying tracks, ie RA or MO.

Swapping the Kettle Morraine for June Sprints is an interesting thought. Racing for spectators might attract extra series sponsors. Even if just for that event, it would be a good thing. The CF's would need to race on a gentlemans agreement that no one is using gumballs for that event

IMHO, priority should be
    1) Event cadence
    2) FF/CFF grouping
    3) Early grouping (1,2 or 3)
    Scott

Liked: 35

The only difference I see in the schedule is the later date for the August R/A race. My No 1 priority for the EWC remains the FF/CFF only race grouping. Attempts to "share" the June Sprints with FM (along with other issues) led to my non-participation at that event for several years. FC or FV/500 is certainly better if you cannot work out a single class deal. I am not enthusiastic about first group scheduling as some of us occasionally enjoy an evening beverage or two at a place like Siebkens and recuperative time is not getting shorter.

If we plan to throw the Sprints into the mix, we might think about the June Milwaukee Regional the weekend before so one could "test" the weekend before da big deal national and leave the car at the track without worrying about changing gears. But still we should attempt to convince Chicago of solo or different class grouping (good luck!) Additonal option could be looking at Grattan Labor Day and WOR Regionals at M/O. Treaded tires? Definitely need more input on that one.

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Treaded Tires and lots of other thoughts

I'm in on Treaded tires! Dunlop like the vintage guys use!

Actually I'm sure there are plus's and minuses, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

As for the other issues, having not been able to run an event yet because of many constraints, so my opinion may not be as worthwhile as others, but here goes:

Why not add a fifth event? Make it double points, a season finale if you will.
    Try different formats, such as qualifying heat races or longer races?
    How about standardizing certain event officials, such as a EWC registrar or Chief Steward?
    Permanent Car numbers for EWC competitors? Number backers like the Pro Series? Sponsors love those!
    Proper victory ceremony, with two handed trophies and wreaths. Oh, and a EWC backdrop too...
    (Two handed trophies are the ones that are so heavy/big you need two hands to lift em...!)

The idea of running with nationals for car counts is a very good one. However, running the Sprints won't help the big picture. One race doesn't fix the problem. Running two or three makes a bigger impact, but even better is picking events that have traditionally low turnouts and bumping the numbers there.
    This means to make a difference you have to go to places that don't normally pull in many cars, vs. the Sprints where even at its worst has 15 cars.

If you all would like more specifics on how to increase car counts (in other words, influence the national car count number) without having more drivers actually race please let me know at bcohn@scca.com It's a bit complicated, but it can be done and has been done.
    (This is not cheating or fudging the numbers or anything like that. it's careful picking of divisions and races to run)

Look, I love the concept of the EWC. Regardless of wether you've been able to run an EWC event as a FF driver we've all benefitted.

I'd love to see this program be able to expand. I promise to do my best to make one event in 2006.

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

I made 3 of 4 EWC weekends in 05 and had a blast. 2 new tracks for me, Grattan and BHF, good competition, great people & new friends, Good format... when the sponsoring region allowed it to be carried out as originally conceived by the commish.

I too would like to see a 5th weekend added, consider perhaps the October event at GIR in St Louis! The road race committee here would be delighted to make this a very special event to close the EWC season.

Treaded tires, I just need to try em to see how they feel. I will say that, if my tire bill for 05 would have been lower I would have likely had the budget to do all 4 EWC events in 05 in addition to all the non EWC events we did.

SCCA Regions- If a region chooses not to allow the EWC to run its format and imposes its own wishes, I recommend we do not take the EWC show to that event. Lots of other regions would love to have us and will accommodate our needs.

Many thanks to Steve and all the competitors that make the EWC the success its been.

Gary Payne
    St Louis
    Gary Payne
    St Louis

Quote Originally Posted by bryancohnracing
    ...even better is picking events that have traditionally low turnouts and bumping the numbers there.
    This means to make a difference you have to go to places that don't normally pull in many cars...
    The Chicago Region Fall Sprints at BFR was a double-points single race this year (is it always? I don't know). I was the only CFF there.

Liked: 23

Default Treaded Tires

[size=1]While I own a car designed for the slicks and would be disadvantaged on a treaded tire move, I think if we put some energy toward this, do it well and are successful it could spread for the betterment as a whole in FF toward lowering costs. The Canadians all love the tires they run on, why shouldn't we? The treaded Dunlops in Europe are essentially a treaded racing tire that lasts, no? [/size]

[size=1]Baytos says he's got a tire company lined up who would support an additional series. While I agree we don't want to create 4 races out of two like the Tro series did in 2003, if the EWC became a treaded tire class and 95% of the cars were using that tire we would all benefit (the 5% would not be considered EWC competitors). If we did exist in Nationals instead of regionals, it would be a way to differentiate us contingency wise as to who's racing EWC and who's racing nationally. If the speed differential was not dangerously high and we drove like adults, the true national guys would pass us easy down the straights with hopefully limited impact to them of us hlding them up in the corners (while undoubtedly there will be occasions we will hold them up there, I would think there would some amount of accomodation to us as we're there helping the class numbers overall) If we had 30 car fields at a National I would suspect we'd get our own group at the less attended nationals. They have 8 groups to spread things over, not the usual 6-7 of most regionals.[/size]

[size=1]To ease the transition, if that tire manufacturer wanted to support us in the effort of us buying tires from them down the road, part of the support can be an EWC test day at a neutral track to allow all to make some attempt at the transition. So if we race at Grattan, MO, RA & BHF, a test day at Gingerman in May which is roughly central to a good portion of competitors. Gingerman already has their 'Tailgate Party' on a May weekend as an open 'run whatya brung' track day with corner workers. I ran this last year and there were 7 cars there. I think only a little bit of money would get their attention for the 20 or so cars who could likely make the test day, even better if our tire 'partner' would negotiate and execute the deal. Would they not see the opportunity of this going well that it could proliferate beyond just the EWC, which is good for their own business model?[/size]
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member Tom Tipsword's Avatar

Default Random EWC Thoughts

EWC priorities: I like the 'cadenced' timing. Allows you to fix things that went wrong/got in your way. Treaded tires? Interesting, but not to me. My car has different uprights and settings for treaded tires, and unless you can make the rule division-wide my tire bill and setup time would double if I want to run anything besides EWC.
    IRP early or late would be OK, since they're making improvements to the track. I like Gingerman, but being a relatively small/tight track I don't know how a large field would work out. I'm not married to first run group, and since half the current EWC is on Eastern time that means we're already getting up bloody early. Let's see, wake up in the dark, drink coffee then jump in and drive your a** off at a time your alarm wouldn't even be going off at home. +1 Fubar. It's going to be late and way dark when I get home anyway.
    I'm not interested in entering a National at RA or anywhere else. Don't have the license and I wouldn't want to be a roadblock to really fast guys. Also it usually means our personal race gets shortened because the really quick national guys will lap some of the field.
    Standing starts would be a hoot, Ian. What's in the GCR about that? I know he wants input, but I've learned to trust Steve Beeler's judgement. He's got all our best interests at heart and thinks things through farther than most of us. Whatever you think, Steve.

Default Reflections from a Backmarker

First of all, thanks to Steve B. for this series. And for asking for our input on how it should evolve.

My thoughts on the issues:

Very much against treaded tires. My enjoyment of driving FF's went up significantly moving from treaded tires to slicks (well, sort of FF's, in that I experienced this with Skippy cars). Also, I don't want to go from treaded tires to slicks for EWC to Regionals/Nationals/Council.

Single FF/CFF race group is one of the major appeals of EWC. I would not want to change that set-up.

I couldn't care less what time of day we race. Crap, slap headlights on my Van Diemen and I'd race it in the dark. I would not make first race of the day a requirement for EWC races.

I've driven on three of our current tracks and would not change any of them. All have their character and interest. I would love to see GingerMan added--compromise location, fun to drive and challenging, nice venue.

Decent time between races is important. Calling this time between races "cadence" is cool. I am in favor of it. From now on I am going to think of the "cadence" of my racing season.

I don't understand adding EWC to June Sprints. Aren't there already a ton of Fords there? We should be trying to increase car counts when and where car counts are down. I raced at GingerMan in late May '05 and ran with one other FF and two CFF's Saturday, then I was the only FF running with a sole CFF (attrition?) on Sunday. It was a little like the Indianapolis F1 race run that same weekend. Anyway, races like that one need help, not the June Sprints. I worry about diluting this thing: I'd stick with a consistent format, regionals, a limited number of tracks. On the other hand, I think moving to five races a season would be a good thing.

Back to shameless praise: The EWC is a highlight of the race season for me. I've been running a lot of races and always have a great time at the EWC events. Loads of cars, good competitors, no blatant mockery of backmarkers, cool stickers and tee shirts, etc.

Why don't you guys try our Hankook treaded tyers, we've been using them for some time now in Canada....Z2000(2000/2004), Z211 (2005) lasted me 3 race week-ends.

this way if you decide to show up for the Montreal/toronto/3 riviers races you already have the tyers/experience(setup) for it! And I'm sure hankook will be happy to accomodate.

Shayne
    Last edited by Shayne; 11.30.05 at 10:48 AM.
    Shayne

Liked: 313

Have to jump back in the battle here.

I don't want anything to do with June Sprints. Entry cost, padock facists, three day event and I won't get into personalities. This is after all a family site ;-}

Hoosier Tire has been very good to us. They've made consistent tires you can count on to go fast. I wouldn't want to walk away from them. If you want a treaded tire make sure Hoosier gets a fair shot at making a submission.

Personally, I see the desire to lower tire budget, but learning how to use and manage a slick racing tire is part of the craft.

Dave

Default I second Dave's reply.

The Sprints is nasty for a Formula Ford driver.
    In 2005, there were 12 or 13 FF's at the Sprints, and we had to run with the Formula Mazda's. I will never go back to the Sprints in FF as long as FF is running with FM. I'll spare you the details, but, it just plain stunk!
    FM drivers hate us for being there, and, they are constantly trying to impress FF drivers with their 'world-class driving ability.'

andy graff

Default My $0.02 worth...

Thanks to EWC (and thereby also Steve!) I've decided that racing is really fun again. Being in the Midwest Div, I have routinely raced with 2 or 1 other FF/CFF, so I'm maybe out of touch, but it seemed the two races we made last year (BHF and RA) had something like 28 and 30 cars at each event? That is quite an improvement over what I'd been around previoulsy, so I'm confused about the car count.

I'd love to have an additional race, Gary Payne threw in St. Louis, I'll through in Mid-America (MAM), but I'd be happy anywhere.

Group 1 is not a mandatory, and like Dr. Tipsword...I like my sleep. So, I don't care when we race.

I agree that managing the tires is part of the craft (part of racing cadence, if you will) and I'm happy with the R60's.

I will have a hard time making it all the way over to M.O., so if there were a track (or repeat) during the season, it'd give me more of a chance.

Honestly guys, I truly appreciate the chance to have something to look forward to! Thanks Steve for all the hard work.

Hans

Default Where beyond left field did that come from??

Just when we were in a position to convince ourselves that a CF spec tire rule was becoming consistent across the country, someone throws out a treaded tire proposal. What??!

The New England Challenge is running GY600's or R60's, CENDIV is running R60s (no GYs?), SEDIV Club Ford rules stipulate R60s. NORPAC runs a spec tire (but McCreary 133s). Why on earth would EWC go in a totally different direction?? If FF's want to run a treaded tire, that's fine, but I contend that changing the CF tire rule will hurt EWC CF participation.

As for my thoughts on EWC priorities for next year (and they shouldn't have as much weight as those of CENDIV participants since I'll likely make 3 events at most)...

First - thank you Steve Beeler and EWC - it's awesome to be part of something with so much positive energy and momentum. Hey, I can be contesting two club ford race series with fields of more than 20 cars in FF - that's cool! EWC is exactly what potential racers need to see to convince them that FF is still a great class. EWC is also the series that should encourage people to get their formula fords out from under the tarp and race them.

The spread of events looks reasonable - everyone else mentioned the one month cadence, and I agree. I wish Grattan occurred on a different weekend - I've missed the Lime Rock Memorial Day weekend gathering twice now - I'll need to get there this year instead of running Grattan.

Frankly, I'm not much of a morning person, so being the first group of the day doesn't do anything for me, except perhaps deprive me of more sleep. If I'm driving 12 hours to get to BHF, I'll have to take some time off Monday to get back home anyway.

A fifth weekend? Seems to make sense. This past January, Steve stated that if EWC achieved 30 car fields in '05, he'd be able to add a fifth event in '06. (Obviously, Steve has an extremely detailed plan he's working to!) Did we get there?

Nationals? I can imagine the FF drivers must be torn - there's a lot of talent in the EWC series, and running an EWC event might mean one less national race that could be run instead for Runoffs credit. Me? I suppose I could go through the hoops to run a national, but don't know how much sense that makes as an inexperienced driver running club ford.

Single race group? Absolutely! Charging into turn one (okay, chasing the rest of the field into turn one... ) at Blackhawk with 20+ other fords (and only fords) will be one of my fondest memories for years to come!

Tracks? Mid-Ohio absolutley rocks and yet many EWC competitors didn't make the trip. I know I'm looking forward to Mid-Ohio again next year - maybe it'll be better now that the Runoffs don't immediately follow. Will the participant base increase for all EWC events if tracks are chosen at the outer extents of CENDIV? Or do they need to remain closer to Chicago for now? I'd do GingerMan if it didn't conflict with an NEC race.

I like several of the ideas put forth by others below: reserved EWC numbers, EWC series/sponsor number backers, longer races. Otherwise, the good stuff is already in place.

How 'bout a dedicated EWC website to increase exposure? Listings and links to the sponsors, Participant info, schedule, class rules, current standings.

And to close, a stretch thought for the future... What would it take to do an all-formula-car race event? Increased track time, longer races, etc. Could something be arranged with a sanctioning body (probably not SCCA, maybe MWC or Autobahn?) to rent the track and put everything in place with corner workers, insurance, etc?

My intent next year is to run as many of both the NEC and EWC series events as I can, so if the dates don't conflict, I'll do my best to get there. Thanks!

Liked: 48

How about the 5th event being at the end of the year (late October?) and have a combined race with the guys running the Canadian Formula Ford Series. Similar to what is going on in Europe (Formula Ford Festival and the Walter Hayes Trophy) where you have several Formula Ford series throughout England and Ireland and you combine at year end for some great racing. This could lead to some huge grids. Run a heat race type weekend.

Combination of the following series:
    East West Challenge
    Canadian F1600 series
    The Ontario FF1600 Championship series
    NEC New England Challenge
    Midwestern Council
    FRCCA (Formula Race Car Club of America)
    + all the other other series and racers I'm forgeting.

Support races:
    Historic Formula Ford (monoposto pre '73)
    Formula Continental & Club Formula Continental
    Formula Vee (Formula 1200)
    Formula First (Formula 1600 + FRRC Banshee) Include in group F500 / F440
    Historic Open Formula Class (Indy, FA, F1, F5000, FB, SV, F2, F3 etc.)
    FA, FSCCA, Formula Mazda, Sports racers (CSR, DSR, S2000) etc.

All racing to be short sprint races 30 minutes max.
    Multiple races for all groups.

Track suggestion: Grattan Grattan, MI
    second choice: Mosport

PROBLEM:
    We all need to come up with a common tire that will economical to run. Figure out what tire manufacture really wants the entire North/NE North America market.

As mentioned before: the treaded tire offers exciting racing for a fraction of the cost of slicks. The treaded tire is a great equalizer! This will allow older chassis to become competitive with new chassis. I would think all the mid to back of the pack Formula Fords and Club Fords would be all over this. We are talking about a tire budget of approx. $450 to run the entire season (may be even 2 seasons). You have to figure you need to by tires anyway, why not buy a tire that is more economical and will last longer. Spend the extra money you save by entering more races.

Of course we need to make it a trophy race and include all of the great comments made by Bryan Cohn said in an earlier post.

Just a thought from a twenty-something year old guy who thinks he can generate younger blood into the sport.

Ian Lenhart
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default Treads? Don't knock 'em until you try 'em!

I did quite a bit of testing with my RF97 on Hankook treads a couple of years ago. Some observations:

1. Setup isn't super-different. From my current slick set-up, I would change the following: bars- stiffer in the front and softer in the back; camber- about 2.5 deg all around; ride height (the Hankooks are a little taller); shock settings- valving is fine, but I would crank in more rebound. The whole conversion would take about 2hrs, assuming you already know how much to move the pushrods.

2. The "right" setup isn't as critical. The difference between good and bad isn't as much about lap time as it is about driver comfort. You can make the car go fast, even if the handling isn't quite right.

3. Price-per-mile is a TON lower. A set of Hankooks costs half as much and will last a lot longer. When we ran this tire in Canada, the guys at the front were bolting on new ones every weekend, but new tires weren't nearly as critical as they are in the US. Our guys ran the same set of tires all year long and did fine. I would say that most EWC competitors would be able to get a season out of a set of Hankooks without a serious loss in performance. During my testing, we compared a set with 2 heat cycles to a set that had been run a full season and then sat outside for 6 mos. The new tires were worth less than a second at Gingerman.

4. Treads are a lot more fun! Trust me- FF was meant to be a treaded class. You actually experience throttle-induced oversteer and big slides. The racing also tends to be better, becuase the tires loose grip when they get hot. When one guy tries to break away, his tires begin to overheat and pack is able to catch up. Some of the best races I've seen were Canadian FF.

5. Treads will make you a better driver. It's easier to save the car in a big slide, which builds your confidence and helps you learn car control. When I did my testing, it was after several years away from racing. I really think the treads helped me get comfortable quicker.

6. Dunlops are pretty expensive. If you're going to a treaded tire, go with the Hankook. It is proven, available, and cheap.

-Clark

Thanks Clark for affirmation of my opinion....and I hope this helps anyone thinking of running with us in Canada next season...a set of hankooks costs 680$CAN or ~ 600U$

I will post a schedule for the '06 very shortly.

Hope to see more of you guys up here.

Shayne
    Shayne

Liked: 208

My priorities:

Love the FF/CF only races
    Don't care much about treaded tires for FF...would only cause me to buy an additional set of tires and wheels, etc.
    Running with Nationals is OK with me

Ralph Z.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Here would be my choices for the EWC races for next year:

Grattan May 27th
    Autobahn Joliet July 29th
    Road America Aug 26th
    Mid-Ohio Sept 9th

Blackhawk in April?? (Can you say Gingerman National 05)
    I feel this gives a nice mix of different kinds of tracks and setup's.
    It also breaks them up very well.
    These are also the same tracks and dates I would like the see
    the CenDiv FSCCA guys run on. (FF/CCF on their own of course)
    With these dates, you might even get Russ Ruedisuli and Mark Davison
    joining the EWC next year. They are not to keen on going to Topeka next year.

Tom Mihelich

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Inclusion

I think we should solicit input and participation from the other open wheelers and work with Bryan Cohn to set up a restricted regional with only open wheelers. If we hit up the F500, FV, Mazdas, FC, FSCCA, Zetecs and FA and they brought out 30 cars like past EWC events we would have 240 plus cars! Many regions would love to have that many cars in a regional event! If we could get the vendors to jump on and make it a paying/prize and spectator race then I think we could pull more than 30 cars per group in. There are postings under FC and FSCCA looking to start similar series - I say we just bring them in under our umbrella, why reinvent the wheel? I say we shoot for one of these events next year and 4 the following year. Our negotiation power goes up with numbers as well.

Liked: 58

As a five year F500 driver (it's all I can afford) and a 3 time Runoffs participant, I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that a number of us will NOT be going to Topeka and would very much welcome a "open wheel only" weekend. I could round up a number of guys as a good majority of our class live in the CENDIV area. I vote for putting us with the fords, the top guys were as fast as the front fords with 4 guys in the 1:29's at Mid Ohio. If I can help I will. I even have some sponsorship ideas.

Jeremy Swank

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff
    I think we should solicit input and participation from the other open wheelers and work with Bryan Cohn to set up a restricted regional with only open wheelers. If we hit up the F500, FV, Mazdas, FC, FSCCA, Zetecs and FA and they brought out 30 cars like past EWC events we would have 240 plus cars! Many regions would love to have that many cars in a regional event! If we could get the vendors to jump on and make it a paying/prize and spectator race then I think we could pull more than 30 cars per group in. There are postings under FC and FSCCA looking to start similar series - I say we just bring them in under our umbrella, why reinvent the wheel? I say we shoot for one of these events next year and 4 the following year. Our negotiation power goes up with numbers as well.
    I like it... There is a large number of regional guys looking for a home. Build it and they will come. Steve, if interested, Todd from Frisbee Tire is looking to get something going with an FC Regional series. I don't think it would take much to bring FC under the FF EWC umbrella.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 190

Default '06 Ewc

Keith,

The FV and First guys have done this for the past two years in the FORMULACAR Magazine Formula First Championship. Steve has/does all the hard work. All you need to do is go to those EWC events. A series name and sponser is great, but not manditory.

All we have done for the past two season is "tag along" and support Steve's program by filling the attendance of the separated FV/F5/FST classes. The orgainization consists of "yep, there is the '06 EWC schedule and were all going to attend those races"

I'll quote Steve, "we all win when cars counts are up".
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default Restricted Regionals?

It is interesting that this thread is coming to the same conclusion that I have: the next step in improving the quality of our racing is a restricted regional for formula cars only. The EWC has accomplished much for the Formula Ford 1600 community (big fields, single race groups, reserved paddock areas, contingency awards, etc) but it has not increased seat time.

Clearly, a restricted regional with just four or five race groups would be a very attractive weekend for racers. To make it a viable financial proposition for a host region, a total entry of about 120 cars is required at a "club" circuit like Blackhawk Farms, Grattan, Nelson Ledges, or Gingerman. "Pro" circuits like Road America and Mid-Ohio are out of the question.

Here's the challenge to the FC/CFC, FM, F500, and FSCCA communities: get yourselves organized and demonstrate the ability to herd 24 cats to the same race weekend as the FF/CFF and FVee/FFirst communities have done with their EWC car counts. Any race weekend in 2006 will do but it has to happen. No region will take a chance on a formula car only restricted regional otherwise.

Regions love to put on races (but can't lose money doing so) and racers love to race (but can choose when and where to race). There is a WIN-WIN here and we can make it happen in 2007.

Lola T-540 HU44

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default I'm here to help!

Really I am!

How can I help?
    I can help you find regions willing to support a formula car only events. (It may not be the traditional places you think of, but you have to think far outside the box)
    I can help you find workers to support said events.
    I can help you find specific personel if need be (think traveling road show, where you have your own T&S Chief for example, or Chief Steward)
    I can help with things like scheduling the event (the time frame cars are on course, race type and length, etc) writting Supp Regs, etc. This is not as easy as it looks!
    I can help with ON-LINE REGISTRATION.
    I can help with working through the sanction process. It's not hard. Heck, even a few drivers I know can do it!
    I can help you with track negotiations. (if needed)
    I can try to be there and race my car to support the series!

Basically, if you want to start a true "series" of formula car racing events I can help. After all this is what I do for a living with SCCA every day. I help SCCA Region personel do all of the above and more! (plus. if I don't know it I can find someone who does!)

Steve, keep me in the loop. I'll be happy to get to it!
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 35

I could be reading between the lines, but posts seem to be leaning toward a repeat of last year's EWC schedule with the 2 week break between Road America and Mid Ohio a penalty we have to pay. Reference the "open wheel weekend" discussion, we still might consider adding the June Milwaukee R/A Regionals as an "un-Sprints" weekend with an open invitation to all open wheel classes fed up with Sprints stupidity to show their numbers. I think a '07 open wheel weekend on that date could work. Just a thought, but Brainerd Intl. can't seem to come to an agreement with SCCA, but another sanctioning agency could get a foot in the door. You guys want to tow?? Longest straightaway in the country perfect for FF drafting. Treaded tires still needs some thought but I vote not for '06, but we should consider a spec slick for the year. (my Swift was NOT designed for radials) Hey Steve, my frame goes to sandblast this week; how are you coming along?

Here in Quebec we ran with the Hankook Ventus RSS Z211 in 2005, and we are in talks with hankook again for 2006....we have a meeting with Hankook very soon, maybe we can ask them to make more tiers for you guys.....just let us know how many you think you would need

Like I said in my othere post inexpenssive and they last.

Shayne
    Shayne

Default e = mc squared

Bryan:

Thanks for the enthusiasm over the formula-car only restricted regional idea. To make such an event happen, we must first demonstrate that we can deliver the cars. If you want to help, put some energy into getting the other classes (FC/CFC, FM, FSCCA, F500, FS, etc) organized. Any race weekend will do. The hurdle is 24 cars. This is a very doable project for 2007. I like it as the long-anticipated fifth EWC weekend.

Tony (aka Fubar):

The Lola is stripped down and the broken/damaged parts have been shipped out for repair and/or replacement. While my story is not nearly as dramatic as the Purple Frog's Runoffs epic, I am getting some invaluable help from friends of the EWC.

Lola T-540 HU44

Default 2006 EWC Schedule Update

Three of the four 2006 EWC weekends are set:

- May 27-28 @ Grattan Raceway Park (Western Michigan Region)
    - July 8-9 @ Blackhawk Farms Raceway (Blackhawk Valley Region)
    - August 26-27 @ Road America (Chicago Region)

Chicago Region has agreed to provide the EWC with a single FF/CFF race group in 2006. We may have to qualify with the FVee/FFirst/F500 cars, but we will definitely race by ourselves. This is a major upgrade. Thank you, Kevin Coulter and everyone with the Chicago Region.

Based on your feedback, my priorities for the fourth EWC race weekend are (1) single FF/CFF race group and (2) race weekend cadence. I'll do what I can to complete the schedule before the end of the year.

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 22

Default Restricted Regional-Formula Car

Looks like Grattan "06" is our chance to showcase this idea. FF/CFF, FC/CFC, FV/FST, FSCCA, all have their regional championship season kicking off on this weekend. I'm guessing sixty plus formula cars for the weekend. Oh yeah!
    Corey Collins

Thread Information